The Strange Thread

Had never eaten Chinese food until I was 15.

There weren’t any Chinese in Australia when I was 15.

*NQT

*NQT

Didn’t the Chinese get here in the 15th century?

*NQT

Might explain why there weren’t any cats here till the Poms arrived.

But that’s news to me, and I don’t necessarily believe it.

*NQT

I still remember being in primary school and everybody being fascinated by the only African kid. I still even remember his name, and I don’t think he was even in my year level. When I think about it now, it seems so ridiculous, but I’d probably hardly seen an African in real life, up until that point…

Yeah, lame joke attempt.

*NQT

No but they had by the 1850’s.

So that fact is useful to calculate the Noonan timeline.

Another of my contributions to BB’s little known facts file: Joe Byrne (Ned Kelly’s literate associate*) most likely understood Cantonese through his connections with Chinese people at Beechworth when he was growing up.

*another one is that Joe most likely wrote the Jerilderie letter. This had stream-of-consciousness writing half a century before Joyce (acclaimed as one of the greatest writers of 20th C) and over 100 years before Peter the plagiarist won a Booker prize for swiping the style and story.

*NQT

Another of my contributions to BB’s little known facts file: Joe Byrne (Ned Kelly’s literate associate*) most likely understood Cantonese through his connections with Chinese people at Beechworth when he was growing up.

*another one is that Joe most likely wrote the Jerilderie letter. This had stream-of-consciousness writing half a century before Joyce (acclaimed as one of the greatest writers of 20th C) and over 100 years before Peter the plagiarist won a Booker prize for swiping the style and story.

At least you didn’t call it a fun fact

*NQT

Is that because it was still Gondwanaland when you were 15?

*NQT

By the by - Beechworth Chinese restaurant is marvellous. Try the mango duck if you go there. Maybe leave the deep fried custard alone though…

I stand

We went through this a while back.

I still don’t believe people choose this option.

I have a negative opinion of people who wear natural fibre or tye-dyed clothing.

Do they get marked down further if they have dreadlocks and hang around ‘craft’ stalls at weekend markets?

You and I are like minded.

Can I be a part of this? I can also be an old grump who hates human beings

You’re in.

What is this, The Noonan Club?

I was hoping I wouldn’t be left out here…thank you, Mr Boot.

Got to get back into Doc Martin to pick up a few more pointers.

Can't skate and can't touch instant coffee.

I race skateboards and drink good instant coffee a couple of times a day. I don’t think we’d get along :stuck_out_tongue:

Now there’s an oxymoron…good instant coffee?

I have a negative opinion of people who wear natural fibre or tye-dyed clothing.

Do they get marked down further if they have dreadlocks and hang around ‘craft’ stalls at weekend markets?

It’s not all humans, just the stupid ones. Particularly the ones who are deliberately stupid in groups because it gives them a sense of belonging and defines them from everyone else.

You’re in.

Well, Noonan and I agree on potato chip flavors, so there’s that.

You’re in.

You’re in.

Can't skate and can't touch instant coffee.

I race skateboards and drink good instant coffee a couple of times a day. I don’t think we’d get along :stuck_out_tongue: