The Team - GWS v Us - DC out for "The Pidge" (Blame Marvel)

Everyone’s on notice.

Good.

Shame. I knew Kevin way back when our young kids played footy together. Die hard Essendon supporter. Good bloke- Such a shame.

You’ve contradicted yourself there a little. You mention how tough our run is but then say we’d be limping into finals. If we made finals, you would think that a fair bit would have changed from earlier in the year and we were more than limping in? Maybe?

1 Like

EVERYONE is beating that midfield at the moment, dont put to much in that basket as that midfield isnt doing so great right at the moment.

Chief Commercial Officer – Justin Rodski

Wow. Rodski doing well.

OK, see your point. I guess we just seem to be making the finals as the “last to qualify” as we calculate % down to the last goal etc etc. Also seem to use all our petrol tickets getting to the finals etc etc.

However as Doggies and Richmond have shown… now that there is a bye it evens out your chances even if you have a tough run home.

If we win the next 9 playing the aggressive, maniac and exciting style we saw last week… then I will be more than satisfied if that leads to our qualifications for finals!

1 Like

Wonder if Kevin received a pay out too.

He should have been first. Went for dinner when we we were over for round 1 and the food was inedible.

6 Likes

We’ll outnumber them !!!

1 Like

A couple of the boys and I are flying up for this one. Hope the boys can take the chocolates.

8 Likes

I think if we play that deep forward 6 setup we’ll come very close. Serious tackling power in our smalls.

Walla, Fantasia and Baguley will manufacture turnovers.

Bookmark it.

Not prepared to carry them yourself. Selfish.

11 Likes

Part of me wishes we were blooding all the kids now that the year isn’t what we hoped it would be. We seem to be in a position we haven’t been for a long time where there are a significant amount of kids playing pretty well in the 2’s.

Langford, Laverde, Clarke, Redman, Francis, Zerk Thatcher etc. all were or have been playing well in the 2’s.

May well make us more uncompetitive in the short term but I bet it’d pay big dividends over the next season or two rather than continue with a few that we’d be fairly confident wont be there for our shot at the top.

Wonder if we’re missing an opportunity.

Props to the coaching staff for making sensible reasoned changes this week and not rushing in blokes who previously were auto inclusions like Myers.

You can’t just dump 10 kids into the team.

The whole point of ‘blooding’ the kids into the senior team is that there are senior players in the team with them. If the senior players aren’t there then it’s just the VFL team getting belted by the AFL opposition each week.

9 Likes

Okay, let’s get this straight Chris. We have played 9 games and won 3.

That means we have 13 games to go.

I agree we are effectively 3 games out of the 8 given our percentage is rubbish and it looks like we will need to win a total of at least 12 (and more likely 13 games with our current percentage being a significant handicap) to make the 8.

So we will need to win probably 10 games out of 13, which means we need to win at least two games out of:
2 Richmond games at the G
1 West Coast away game
1 Port Adelaide away game
and this game away against GWS

and win all the rest (Lions and Suns away; North, Dockers, Swans and Saints at Etihad; Pies and Hawks at the G).

Although I may be doing this completely wrong and it is actually more likely that we win the top group of 5 games and need to not drop more than 3 of the rest of the games we could more reasonably be expected to win.

So far this year we have beaten every side that we have played that played finals last year and lost every game against sides that didn’t.

So it is more about more Essendon and less Essington.

Either way we will need to be a top 4 worthy side to make the finals from here, so if we do make it, a preliminary final shouldn’t be out of the question.

When I put it like that, it does sound a little like I’m dreaming.

I think I’ll just go back to the idea that if we win the next three games going into the bye by and average of 30 points we will have 6 wins and 6 losses and a % of 100 and we’ll have a right to think we are in it if we can win 4 in a row and beat Richmond at the 'G.

4 Likes

Would love to see a couple more entering the fray over the next few weeks - namely Francis and Redman on form, with Clarke given another chance soon.

Reckon theyre keeping Francis until after the bye to get his fitness up to AFL standard before throwing him in.

How we play for the next fortnight will likely dictate how strong our ‘play the kids’ mantra is at the club.

3 Likes

Just put money on us to win by 60+

6 Likes

Keep the receipt, you can write charity donations off at tax time.

1 Like

Will GWS tag Zerret? And if so who?

It would be kinda funny if the one guy who went C*#ton > GWS, who’s also the son of a club legend, turned out to be a superstar for GWS.
Meanwhile the 17 guys who’ve gone GWS > C*#ton end up playing 63 games between them.

7 Likes