The team (it is this time) vs the Gold Coast Sins

I actually thought they would bring in Hartley from a match up perspective, to me they have missed an opportunity to rest Goddard and or a sore Myers and give Francis/Ridley or Clarke a go. They obviously still feel finals is a possibility.

4 Likes

My only caveat for this would be, why bother when you’re going to either

1. Get humiliated in the finals again.

2. Fall short because again your team is dropping games against bottom feeders like Carlton.

Essendon always seems to have such a short term view instead of planning for the long term.

1 Like

We need to keep trying to make the 8 until it’s impossible. I’d be horrified if the club gave up now, even when our chances are extremely slim.

There’s a chance we could play someone like North in Melbourne if we made it and our interstate form has been great so we shouldn’t fear anybody. If we play to our form of the last two months, nobody is going to humiliate us.

8 Likes

I’m not sure I see how picking a sore Myers improves our chances of making the finals…

1 Like

Not enough games into Redman, Clarke, Mutch, Ridley, Francis this year.

After all that’s occurred this year we are 3 games out of the 8 with an experienced side.

Hurts to know we refuse to move on and make tough calls and bring the youth through. After how the season started it was the perfect scenario to justify playing the kids more and I have a strong suspicion performance wouldnt have waned too much.

We lost to Carlton ffs.

People keep saying this as if it is some sort of revelation. It isn’t.

8 Likes

Revelation? No, it is just being reinforced as they just got done by 10 goals by the 17th placed side.

Reinforces our season was a disaster - why not make some tough calls on senior players and try the kids who have been in good form in the 2’s almost all year?

Has this been discussed in here? I must have missed it

8 Likes

The season is far from over, so l wouldn’t use the past tense, but l agree that more younger players should have been given games and a couple of senior players, who are known quantities, rested strategically throughout the year. There has been no pressing reason preventing younger players from getting a taste of senior football, it is baffling that they have not been afforded more opportunities.

3 Likes

Have we even played Carlton yet this year?

I have no memory of such a game.

6 Likes

Wut? They played Clarke at half forward/wing for a big chunk of 2017.

You’re saying that we’re too small, this is basically the same mix (Hooker/Hurley/Dea) that won 5 from 6 or so.
Ambrose only came back for the North game, didn’t set the world on fire in my view. Not sure there’s a matchup for him either (and he’s really only good as a one on one defender).

We’ve got absolutely no replacement for Stringer, but still a reasonable amount of size around the ball if Myers plays (Hepp, Myers, Langford all up around 190/90) - GC aren’t exactly stacked with huge guys either.

The emergencies suggest they’re pretty confident Myers will play, no mid listed.

1 Like

I reckon they set him from early on to just play out the year in VFL and get back to enjoying his job.

1 Like

We should pick Hartley, Francis, Ambrose, Zerk and Dea. They’ve all been playing well.

After all, the team can be shuffled around!!

Extreme example, but “we can just shuffle around” is a silly thing to say. You’re comparing a 5’2” speedy winger to a 6’2” crab inside mid, a 6’4” CHB and a 6’0” marking small forward.

And if you’re saying Houlahan deserves it on form over Colyer? Nup. Not at all. He’s a few years away, never mind weeks.

2 Likes

The ins are great but McNiece, Colyer (value to team) and Myers (potential injury - calf) should not be playing ahead of Long. The guy showed he belongs and needs opportunities to develop his game in the seniors ffs.

I’m so angry at how the club has piss_d away this season with head scratching selections (as discussed ad nauseam) that have undermined the teams chances of winning. Essendon need to plan for 2019. Long, Ridley should be playing this weekend. Don’t get me started on Francis …

2 Likes

Well, I don’t think he deserves a game any more than the 3 you mention, so it’s opinion.
I would like to see him have a few more games.

1 Like

A clear theme in Wooshas coaching at both WC and Essendon are that he values match fitness, and believes that younger sides rarely last the 22 matches of an AFL season.

He doesn’t manage the older blokes, he manages the younger blokes.

If Francis were to come in he’d be in the backline where the rotations are kept to a minimum. For example, last week’s minutes:

• Hurley - 112 (third most on ground)
  • Goddard - 103
    Reckon Franga has those sought of legs yet? Or might it be possible time in the twos is beneficial?
4 Likes

You don’t think he deserves a game over Colyer. Am I missing something?

Yep, you are. You’re missing everything other than the game time you watched last game.

Mate, your giving me a headache :wink: