The Team vs Norf on Sunday - No Riddles?

In: Travis Colyer, Kobe Mutch, James Stewart, Patrick Ambrose, Aaron Francis

Out: Mason Redman (Injured)

Squad selection - Rd 15
Conor Walsh June 28, 2018 6:20 PM

Essendon speedster Travis Colyer is in the mix for a long-awaited senior return after being named in the side’s extended squad to take on North Melbourne on Sunday.

Colyer has been among the Bombers’ best players in three recent VFL outings and completed his first full game in the team’s stirring victory over Box Hill last week.

Colyer took the field 22 times in the AFL last year and senior coach John Worsfold said he is excited to have Colyer back in the mix.

“Travis been through a long rehab process, a serious injury, but his work ethic and attitude’s been awesome and we’ve seen him very quickly get back up to speed and be available for selection,” Worsfold said on Thursday.

“He looks as quick as ever, so its a credit to Trav to have got himself back into the squad as quickly as he has.”

Defenders Patrick Ambrose and Aaron Francis, young on-baller Kobe Mutch and key forward James Stewart have also been added to the squad, and Worsfold said he is confident their impressive VFL form can translate to the senior team if selected.

“One of the great things with our VFL-form players this year is they’ve come in and performed at the same level,” he said.

“They’ve come in and that form has carried on, so we’re really confident.

“All of those guys have been in good form for a long time, they haven’t just hit form, and they’re all ready to go so it’s a good position for us to be in.”

The VFL Bombers are in outstanding form and sit third on the ladder after the win over the Hawks, and Worsfold said it is an important boost when the VFL side succeeds.

“It always helps, absolutely. Not only the positivity around enjoying playing there and the team going really well, but playing them in roles that they are likely to play when they come into the senior team has been great.

“So overall, that really does assist the transition of players out of the VFL straight back into the key roles they’ll play in the senior team.”

Injured young gun Mason Redman is the only omission from the team so far after scans confirmed he would be out of the side for up to eight weeks with an ankle injury.

“He’s worked so hard to build himself up to become the player we’ve seen in the last few weeks,” Worsfold said.

“(It is) disappointing that he’s got the injury, but (there are) a lot of positives in the fact that he’s grown so much in terms of his belief in what he can bring to the team at AFL level.

“So he goes away and rehabs now and gets himself ready to go, but we’re rapt that we saw some really good footy from him when he came into the line-up and we’ll miss him.”

The Bombers will face a tough challenge on when they face the Kangaroos at Etihad Stadium and Worsfold is looking forward to what will be a fierce contest.

“(I’m) expecting an awesome game of footy, North is playing really top footy this year… so it’s going to be a great challenge for us we’re looking forward to it.”

Tickets for the crucial clash are selling fast, so GA members are encouraged to arrive early or upgrade to a reserved seat.

EXTENDED SQUAD:
B – Hooker, Dea, Goddard
HB – Saad, Hurley, Myers
C – Heppell, Z. Merrett, McGrath
HF – Smith, McKernan, Brown
F – Fantasia, Stringer, Baguley
R – Bellchambers, Langford, McDonald-Tipungwuti
I/C – Colyer, McKenna, Guelfi, Mutch, Stewart, Green, Ambrose, Francis.

The final team will be confirmed on Friday.

1 Like

i was promised long.

3 Likes

Colyer for Green
Francis for Redman

16 Likes

I reckon they’ll bring in an underdone rambrose because ben brown.

2 Likes

David Myers on the HBF, ■■■■ you match committee, ■■■■ you!

14 Likes

There are surgical options

25 Likes

Brown is the type of player that Ambrose cannot play on.

Too tall.

Hooker is the match up. Francis to chop out all day long.

3 Likes

That team selection is, ahhh, quite the riddle.

1 Like

Not sure why?

Apart from that time he beat him

3 Likes

Strange Ridley not named

Well it looks like Francis is ahead of Riddles according to the selection panel, hopefully Ridley isn’t injured.

= a happy Robbo

Yeah we need a strong vfl team against Casey. Who was the traveling emergency last week?

Myers on Zeibel at HBF?

Starts handing out pitchforks to Blitzers

4 Likes

Francis spare man in defence . Big Ben Brown won’t get much supply . Do it .

3 Likes

So I just checked the umpires for Sunday - we’ve got Margetts again.

■■■■ off!!

16 Likes

calm down. Matt Dea named at full back also.

Means zilch.

Interesting.

Based on what people seem to think, it’s usually the first 4 named in an extended squad who play, and they are.

With no Redman replacement we perhaps may put Goddard or even McGrath back instead and then play Mutch in the midfield. Roos fwd lineup perhaps not needing a Ridley / Francis/ Ambrose added.

Colyer likely in for Green.

B: Saad Hooker Dea
HB: Goddard Hurley McKenna
C: Guelfi Heppell Mutch
HB: Fantasia Brown TIPPA
F: Baguley Smack Stringer
R: Belly Zerrett Smith

B: McGrath Myers Langford Colyer

Look forward to seeing the named 22 tomorrow evening and likely blitz implosion!

2 Likes

What Matt Dea, playing on Ben Brown, I know Matty plays tall, but …

I’m sure Woosha knows what he is doing.

1 Like