The team. Which, by the way, where issss? Round 6 vs Pies is here

I will be in Adelaide for the game, hanging out with SA Bombers at The Bunker. I’ll be developing some new sauces.

You heard it here first.

Make of this what you will.

4 Likes

1 Like

If you had both told me this morning that I would like two opposing views, I would have told you to get outta here!

2 Likes

Don’t give me this “midfielder in for a midfielder” rubbish, as if Guelfi can’t take Baguley’s role as a pressure forward.

Out: Baguley, Ham, Guelfi the midfielder
In: Smith, Zaharakis, Guelfi the pressure forward

Not that hard to get mildly creative and throw things around. FFS, Bags played as a defender for 90% of his career. Ah well.

5 Likes

Could be worse. I spent half of tonight refreshing the VFL site and cursing them for not getting the teams out on time.

4 Likes

Hopefully Daniher plays a role, much like last week. We don’t need him kicking big bags. Simply needs to present and bring the ball to ground if he’s unable to mark.

The days of expectations on Daniher to kick large amounts of goals are over imo.

1 Like

In my opinion Parish lost his spot due to the unreliability of his disposal. Eg: he had some obvious turnovers.

In this game turnovers are killers. So I can live with that.

What does annoy me is that there is only one spot on the field that Darcy should be playing, and we don’t play him there.

A decent go at it?
This is close to the first time he has been made to work for his spot, has been a walk up start almost since his debut
(Not saying he didnt deserve to be for a lot of it)

buguley will cost us the game. as will myers. watch this space

Why do we need to get creative on the back of three solid wins?

Because I believe that having Parish in the team ahead of Baguley will make us better. We’re also getting games into someone who will still be at the club in 2020.

3 Likes

I think balance and position play a part in footy teams.

I also think you play for the game ahead when you are some shot at being there at the pointy end.

Fark the filth

1 Like

I totally agree that balance and position play a part in footy teams. Where we disagree is that I think Guelfi as a pressure forward offers no less than Baguley does BUT has more upside and more versatility.

I’ve never seen it. It would be a trial for trial’s sake.

“Parish is similar, (he is) really just forced out of the side not because he is struggling or anything like that, but because with those two guys coming in, one of the midfielders had to miss out.”

Yep, when Parish is burning it up for another club next year Essendon’s poor treatment of its young stars will come into sharp focus, especially for a club like Essendon who’ll continue to be mired in mediocrity because of some thought that underperforming senior players makes Essendon a better team.

1 Like

I can’t wait for Bags to dob 4 snags tomorrow and bury a pie in an unfair aggressive tackle to start a melee at the end of the 3 quarter.

6 Likes

Fair enough. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that Guelfi can match Baguley’s average of 9 disposals, 2.5 marks, 2.5 tackles and less than a goal a game, though.

If we can back Guelfi in to replace our best and fairest winner in the midfield for a week, I think we can back him in to at least break even with the output from Bags this season.

IIRC, Guelfi spent most of his junior career as a mid who could push forward, plus I think his very first couple of games for us were actually spent as a pressure forward. I could be wrong, though.

Parish in the midfield > Guelfi in the midfield.
Guelfi pressure forward = Bags pressure forward.

That’s how I see it, anyway.

Only a slight upgrade overall but at least you’re getting another game into a kid, instead of someone who’s almost certainly in their last season and is in serviceable form at best.

All that said, obviously I hope that Bags tears it up tomorrow and will be cheering for him to deliver.

2 Likes

I don’t think he will be. What’s his contract status not that they mean anything?

Interesting that a few people on the Collingwood forums think the WHE is a distraction and they’ll most likely play someone else (such as Reid).

Interesting either way. They either don’t think WHE is ready or they think that Collingwood are nervous enough to play games at selection.