The Team

It's not my favorite changes of the year you could say. Team looks weaker on paper. Geelong look very strong with changes. Bit concerned

You’re not thinking we’ll lose now are you … ???

:stuck_out_tongue:

It's not my favorite changes of the year you could say. Team looks weaker on paper. Geelong look very strong with changes. Bit concerned

You’re not going to go into the level 1 concourse dunnies with a gun half way through the 2nd after Selwoods free kcik in front of goal to put them 15 goals up are you?

Old school footy - the journeymen and guys from the next town will get a game coz they've driven the furthest. Get used to it for the rest of the season. The kids are tired and have to do their 'homework'.

“journeyman” this brings the pedant in me out and screaming.
This word come from the French “jour” meaning inter alia “day”. You know “soup du jour”
Journeyman is NOT a traveller, it is a person who works by the day. A person can work in the same place for 30 years and be a journeyman, i.e. hired by the day.

Thanks, I’m breathing easier now.
Where are my pills?

Old school footy - the journeymen and guys from the next town will get a game coz they've driven the furthest. Get used to it for the rest of the season. The kids are tired and have to do their 'homework'.

This word come from the French “jour” meaning inter alia “day”. You know “soup du jour”
Journeyman is NOT a traveller, it is a person who works by the day. A person can work in the same place for 30 years and be a journeyman, i.e. hired by the day.

Where are my pills?

Definition of Journey from the Oxford dictionary:

“An act of travelling from one place to another”

Definitions of Journeyman:
A worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
A trained worker who is employed by someone else.

These have to be some of the worst changes i’ve ever seen (and there have been some shockers over the past few years).

Gifting games to the top up players is definitely not in the best plans for the future of the club.

I just won 15 bucks on a scratchy. I’m going load up on Essendon. Who would like to join me in a consortium

Feel like Langford being exposed as an ordinary defender is like Burns telling that guy to shave off his sideburns.

Langford in tbe nationals played as a defender as i recall. Bit tough agsinst crows with bugger all training. Put him HB he would go well. No wirse than demps

Going to miss Fanta but we dead set will not notice the other 3 aren’t playing.

Michael is so far from AFL level it’s not funny, Grimley will be an improvement.
Hams, despite being given plenty of time on the ball over the past few weeks, has yet to crack the 20 possession mark at AFL level.
Langford still has a long way to go and will develop just fine in the twos.

you could say that about most of the team honestly

Where are my pills?

Definition of Journey from the Oxford dictionary:

“An act of travelling from one place to another”

Definitions of Journeyman:
A worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
A trained worker who is employed by someone else.

You should get a better dictionary — a historical dictionary, perhaps — or read the one you have more carefully.

Historically, the English word “Journey” means “the distance which can be travelled in a single day.” It is derived from the French word journée which means “[the duration of] a day,” as opposed to jour, which means “day” without any special consideration of its duration.

So you can see that “journeyman” means “a man employed for the duration of a day,” which is pretty much exactly what SiMFiR said.

The use of “journeyman” to mean “a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding” is common enough in a sporting context. It may be an inaccurate usage but this can be seen as an outgrowth of the earlier meaning, and is just another example of what happens — what must happen — with a living, developing language.

On the other hand I find it hard to believe that you got your second definition of “Journeyman” - “a trained worker who is employed by someone else” – from the Oxford Dictionary, because that definition is so imprecise as to be practically useless. After all, anyone will agree that “journeyman” means something more than just “trained employee” or “skilled worker”.

To put all this in context: the top-up blokes are journeymen, useful on short-term contracts (most of them); the young guys, most of them, are not even journeymen, because they don’t have the skills (yet). Raz, Hartley and Junior Merrett have the skills in bucketloads, but they aren’t journeymen, because they’re worth a lot more than short-term contracts.

A better dictionary than the oxford?

Language changes, what a word used to mean isn’t as important as how it is used right now.

Anyway,
It really is a pretty uninspiring team we have picked, but I understand the reasons. Better to get the players some rest so they don’t pick up any niggles before preseason.

I just won 15 bucks on a scratchy. I'm going load up on Essendon. Who would like to join me in a consortium

Dont waste your money mate. Buy 1 and a half beers at the footy instead

Lol … it’d actually get you 2, … but I hear your point.

The beer price at the “Peoples game” is a farking joke. I’m always left wondering why the “People” haven’t revolted yet …

Wordfold said he’s going to rest the young players over the next 4 weeks… Long year for the young players. I don’t see what all the complaining is about??

I’d much rather our kids playing VFL - get experience playing in games that actually matter!

How is Hams supposed to break 20 possies in a midfield with Parish Zerrett, Leuey playing well, if he took Zaka’s place he’d get more than Zaka but they strand him on the wing.

Every time Geelong kicks a goal, just think of Heppell, Zerrett, Parish & McCluggage in the midfield next year.

Why you complain?
We have exceeded all expectations this year.
They all said we wouldnt win one game.

Gee Adelaide have laid down the challenge to Geelong with their monstrous percentage boosting win. Cats will be ruthless. I prefer the Crows. Let’s keep it under 100 give them a little gap on the Cats! Something to get excited about.

Gee Adelaide have laid down the challenge to Geelong with their monstrous percentage boosting win. Cats will be ruthless. I prefer the Crows. Let's keep it under 100 give them a little gap on the Cats! Something to get excited about.

The 138 point margin in the Adelaide v Brisbane match also means that a reasonably modest win by us over the Suns or Carlfck could mean avoiding the woodenspoon, provided we don’t lose by too much to other sides.