The Team

For once I would like us to play for more than one qrt and have the scores reasonably close all game.

Gee Adelaide have laid down the challenge to Geelong with their monstrous percentage boosting win. Cats will be ruthless. I prefer the Crows. Let's keep it under 100 give them a little gap on the Cats! Something to get excited about.

The 138 point margin in the Adelaide v Brisbane match also means that a reasonably modest win by us over the Suns or Carlfck could mean avoiding the woodenspoon, provided we don’t lose by too much to other sides.

We couldn’t beat Brisbane who are ■■■■■■ worse than us.

Sorry but I cant see us beating Gold Coast or Carlton.

I honestly think we’ll take care of Carlton.

For once I would like us to play for more than one qrt and have the scores reasonably close all game.

It has happened once or twice this year including this game:

APRIL 16 2016

GEELONG 2.3 - 5.6 - 6.13 - 9.18 (72) d
ESSENDON 2.2 - 5.4 - 6.5 - 6.6 (42)

Unless you call being outscored by one of the top scoring sides by 3 goals 4 in the last quarter a blow out.

By recent standards however, I would call that a tad finicky.

I just won 15 bucks on a scratchy. I'm going load up on Essendon. Who would like to join me in a consortium

please pm me and I will supply my account details. 50 dollar minimum as I’m doing the hard yards here obviously

Old school footy - the journeymen and guys from the next town will get a game coz they've driven the furthest. Get used to it for the rest of the season. The kids are tired and have to do their 'homework'.

“journeyman” this brings the pedant in me out and screaming.
This word come from the French “jour” meaning inter alia “day”. You know “soup du jour”
Journeyman is NOT a traveller, it is a person who works by the day. A person can work in the same place for 30 years and be a journeyman, i.e. hired by the day.

Thanks, I’m breathing easier now.
Where are my pills?

Definition of Journey from the Oxford dictionary:

“An act of travelling from one place to another”

Definitions of Journeyman:
A worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
A trained worker who is employed by someone else.

You should get a better dictionary — a historical dictionary, perhaps — or read the one you have more carefully.

Historically, the English word “Journey” means “the distance which can be travelled in a single day.” It is derived from the French word journée which means “[the duration of] a day,” as opposed to jour, which means “day” without any special consideration of its duration.

So you can see that “journeyman” means “a man employed for the duration of a day,” which is pretty much exactly what SiMFiR said.

The use of “journeyman” to mean “a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding” is common enough in a sporting context. It may be an inaccurate usage but this can be seen as an outgrowth of the earlier meaning, and is just another example of what happens — what must happen — with a living, developing language.

On the other hand I find it hard to believe that you got your second definition of “Journeyman” - “a trained worker who is employed by someone else” – from the Oxford Dictionary, because that definition is so imprecise as to be practically useless. After all, anyone will agree that “journeyman” means something more than just “trained employee” or “skilled worker”.

To put all this in context: the top-up blokes are journeymen, useful on short-term contracts (most of them); the young guys, most of them, are not even journeymen, because they don’t have the skills (yet). Raz, Hartley and Junior Merrett have the skills in bucketloads, but they aren’t journeymen, because they’re worth a lot more than short-term contracts.

‘every day man’
commonplace man

Language evolution, particularly across cultures, is often complex.

Lol .. it'd actually get you 2, ... but I hear your point.

The beer price at the “Peoples game” is a farking joke. I’m always left wondering why the “People” haven’t revolted yet …

But they are revolting!

It has happened once or twice this year including this game:

APRIL 16 2016

GEELONG 2.3 - 5.6 - 6.13 - 9.18 (72) d
ESSENDON 2.2 - 5.4 - 6.5 - 6.6 (42)

Unless you call being outscored by one of the top scoring sides by 3 goals 4 in the last quarter a blow out.

By recent standards however, I would call that a tad finicky.

The way things have gone recently, Geelong would kick 25.2 to 3.9

FLOOD
THE
BACKLINE

If I rock up and don’t see every single FKN player bar JOE in our back half, I’ll depart the stadium.

I want Zac Smith to eat sh-t for his percentage booster comments.

If I rock up and don't see every single FKN player bar JOE in our back half, I'll depart the stadium.

I want Zac Smith to eat sh-t for his percentage booster comments.

There is zero chance of this. We will play attacking footy and no one will go with 10 ft of Dangerfield.

Based on the points raised in an illuminating article by Robert Shaw on the pros and cons of tagging, there is no point in tagging any of the Geelong midfielders, as it will not make any difference.

We dont have a trained tagger other than Bird who is pretty much the only really hard coalface inside mid we have. At best, Bird will go head to head with Dangerfield at stoppages.

So prepare yourselves. Geelong will tag Zaka. watch for #22 Mitch Duncan ?. Dangerfield 45 touches 5 goals. Bird about 20 touches, a differential of 25, equivalent to one extra player in Geelongs midfield.

Dangerfield is going to run riot today.

Hopefully someone drops zac smith.