The Teams - MELBOURNE v ESSENDON MCG , 7:50pm AEDT Friday, April 5, 2019

Faith huh…

More like blind devotion.

Another 10 goal thumping coming up. Wouldnt matter the changes the result will be the same. I am barracking for a new coach we are going nowhere.

It will be interesting if the “old boys” ordering the coach to tank are actually getting exposed this time, not just the sacrificial lamb who was offered up (Bailey).

The AFL found as innocuous a version of tanking as they could bring themselves to find, but if there are officials demanding matches be thrown, this could be a bigger issue than before.

But you are likely right and those at the top will remain untouchable.

Melbourne should run through that as their banner.

9 Likes

Someone posted the article on another page

EXCLUSIVE: Secret documents reveal multiple senior Melbourne Football Club staff blew the whistle on a conspiracy to lose games during its controversial 2009 season.

The Herald Sun has obtained more than 80 pages of transcripts, hidden until today.

They expose interviews conducted between AFL investigators and Demons players, coaches and officials in 2012 as part of a league probe into allegations of “tanking” at the club that season.

The files include a stunning confession from the Demons’ 2009 coach Dean Bailey.

SCROLL DOWN TO READ THE EXPLOSIVE INTERVIEWS<<

It was a long season for the players in 2009 as club bosses looked to draft picks instead of wins, according to their interviews during the tanking probe.
THE TANKING STORY THE AFL DISMISSED

THIS IS WHY DEES HAVE LOSING CULTURE

“What was said to me was, if I win games I would get sacked,” he told the AFL investigators.

“I was threatened. Yeah, I didn’t like it. I think it was a terrible thing to be bullying and harassing not only me but the rest of the staff.

“Absolutely, I knew if we won those games, I felt that I would get sacked.”

Interviews conducted with 58 current and former Demons staff in 2012 reveal:

EIGHT senior officials admitted the football department had been directed not to win more than four games;

PLAYERS not seriously injured were kept off the ground during matches to stymie interchange rotations, according to Bailey.

INVESTIGATORS were provided reports detailing “fake injuries” which ruled players out of selection.

SEVERAL staff confirmed players were sent for operations, in a ruse some accepted was designed to weaken the team;

BAILEY said he was repeatedly threatened and pressured to ensure the team kept losing, despite the AFL concluding there was only one “terrible” and “stupid” comment — made by football general manager Chris Connolly at a match committee meeting in 2009;

CONNOLLY accused Bailey of lying and trying to get him sacked.

READ THE INTERVIEWS HERE

ON MOBILE/APP: READ THE TRANSCRIPTS AND BAILEY’S INTERVIEW

After winning just four games in 2009, the Demons were rewarded with the first two picks in that year’s national draft. They selected Tom Scully and Jack Trengove.

The AFL announced the findings of its probe in February 2013, declaring Melbourne did not deliberately set out to lose games.

Then-AFL deputy chief executive Gillon McLachlan stated: “I actually don’t know what the definition of tanking is. In the AFL rules it talks to performing on merits and the best of their ability. In my view, there was no tanking on match day.”

But the emergence of the secret files prompts fresh questions about the findings and what really happened at Melbourne in 2009.

The AFL reaps millions of dollars a year from betting licences, with then-Gaming Minister Michael O’Brien declaring in 2012 that “any action which brings into question the integrity of sports and sports betting in Victoria is unacceptable”.

The probe had been launched after ex-Demon Brock McLean told Fox Footy in July 2012 of his misgivings about the manipulation of games.

Connolly and Bailey were suspended as a result of the investigation, which found they “acted in a manner prejudicial to the interests of the AFL”.

Connolly was found to have made a comment “regarding the performance of the team, a desire to secure a priority pick”.

Bailey, who was sacked by the Demons in 2011 and died after a battle with cancer in March 2014, was concluded to have consequently felt “pressure” to rest players and make positional changes to appease his superiors.

Melbourne’s 2009 coaching staff.
The interview files now reveal that senior staff who opened up during the explosive probe included assistant coaches Sean Wellman and Mark Williams, football operations manager Craig Notman, midfield coach Scott West, recruiting manager Barry Prendergast, high performance manager Joel Hocking and personal development coach Ian Flack.

After Melbourne defeated Port Adelaide in 2009’s Round 15 — its second win in a row and third of the season — Bailey told investigators that chief executive Cameron Schwab entered the changing rooms at the MCG with his head bowed.

Schwab said words to the effect of “F—ing Jesus, gee”, Bailey claimed, before Connolly said something like: “F—ing Jimmy had just fallen out of his ■■■■■■ hospital bed”.

(Club chairman Jim Stynes was undergoing treatment for the cancer that would kill him three years later.)

Bailey’s version was backed up by Flack, who described Schwab’s body language as “very negative” after the game.

Several present at a meeting of senior staff the following Monday — in a shed at the Demons’ Junction Oval training ground dubbed The Vault — confirmed to investigators that Connolly launched into a rant, threatening Bailey and his coaching team with the sack.

“Chris is good with colour texta, he loves writing things on boards. He wrote up Scully and I think he wrote Scully and Trengove’s names up on the board,” Bailey said.

“Sometimes Chris has a joke and a laugh, but he was not in a joking mood that day. We just sat back and thought, ‘F—ing hell, is he serious?’ ”

Williams said: “We were p—ed off, we were really p—ed off.”

Asked whether Connolly was “giving a direction that the club wasn’t to win more than four games for the year”, Flack answered: “Yes, absolutely.”

Chris Connolly celebrates at the 2009 draft, where the club snared top picks including Tom Scully after their woeful season.
RELATED CONTENT
Mick Schumacher ®, son of seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher, talks to Alfa Romeo Racing F1 mechanics at the in-season test at the Sakhir circuit in the desert south of the Bahraini capital Manama, on April 3, 2019. (Photo by ANDREJ ISAKOVIC / AFP)
Vettel gives Schumacher a reality check
Vettel gives Schumacher a reality check
Portrait of former Manly fullback Brett Stewart in Narrabeen who is back at the Sea Eagles in a coaching capacity. Brett spent two years in Melbourne to get away from Sydney at the end of his career. Picture. Phil Hillyard
‘Heartbroken’ Manly legend opens up on his ban from the game
‘Heartbroken’ Manly legend opens up on his ban from the game

It was this meeting for which Connolly was charged by the AFL.

McLachlan said at the conclusion of the tanking probe that Connolly had “made a comment regarding the performance of the team, a desire to secure a priority pick, and I know he now regrets that comment”.

But the interview files reveal the pressure on the coaches to lose did not just come in that one meeting.

“Cameron (Schwab) mentioned to me a couple of times that ‘The future of the Melbourne footy club is in your hands’,” Bailey told investigators.

Notman added: “They (Schwab and Connolly) were pushing people into some situations that I don’t think they were completely comfortable with.”

Hocking further claimed: “I can’t remember specifically who, but there is no doubt that some players were put in operations.”

Flack agreed, saying: “There seemed to be, there was definitely pressure on to get end-of-year surgery going quicker.”

Asked whether he regretted not alerting the Melbourne board, Bailey said: “Hindsight is a wonder.

“I felt threatened at the time … telling (director) Andrew Leoncelli, or a board member. I do think about that … But what Chris was saying was basically, what Cameron wanted him to say, and therefore it was not a directive from the board, but the board had allowed it to happen. And wanted it to happen without them having to tell me.”

Connolly flatly denied ordering his colleagues to conspire to lose.

He told AFL investigators: “I think there’s a big difference between orders and comments and obviously if I’m pushing development, develop a list, it’s going to mean reducing the chances of winning.”

3 Likes

Bomber players should be getting into Melb players heads over this, mighty as well get you confidence and intensity up with some solid sledging, a few fights and slowly building some swagger.

1 Like

Honestly who cares if Melbourne tanked 10 years ago? Could not give a flying ■■■■.

10 Likes

Everyone knew they were tanking regardless of the AFL finding.

Hawks and Pies did it before that also

We’ve made it an art form, do it by default.

1 Like

That’s why this is a story about the corrupt AFL leadership instead.

21 Likes

Got a glimpse of the tracklist:

Dear John
Come on you reds
Better than that
Make me stay a bit longer
Dreamin
Again and again
Beginning of the end
Go, go go
Roll over lay down

2 Likes

Dear John & coaches,
I am writing to pass on a message from Mrs BAAKKEERRRR. She says thanks - “thank you for giving me my husband back” were her specific words.
You see, due to football she normally loses me for large slabs of time from March to August (oops… nearly said September there, but we all nothing happens for Essendon supporters then).
This year though, I can let it go nice and early. I can get stuff done on my weekends. I can plan holidays without worrying about what games I might miss.
It’s great knowing by round 2 that we’re ■■■■. Suddenly I have all this free time on my hands. I don’t even have to check the teams because I know nothing of interest will happen there either.
So anyway… the missus extends her gratitude. Which is great… you know, happy wife happy life and all that.
Cheers,
BAAKKEERRRR

29 Likes

We dropped our leading goal kicker for the season.
Langford stop kicking goals.

5 Likes

Yeah right. We are the good samaritans club, full of nice boys.

We just brought on last year a Board member who is all over this Dees investigation… hmmm

1 Like

Well they got $500k but didnt tank. So why did they get the fine?

If the AFL said they tanked then it would open up all sorts of litigation against bookmakers and punters alike.

1 Like

Best of luck to the ins.

I thought Brown was trash last week. So happy for him out would prefer Draper in but meh Clarke will have to do. Hope He try’s and works Gawn over too.

Cats had a mobile forwardline bar tomahawk. And we are playing 3 rucks makes me worried.

Mutch named at half back is dumb. If we want a half back Ridley should play.
And shouldn’t start Heppell on bench.
We started Shiel on the bench and that didn’t work out great first few minutes last week And he was close to our best mid.

But hope Mutch can still rack up disposals and play well, play his role.

1 Like

Book your holidays, but make sure they have good wi-fi for your inevitable DJ-King stint.

That’s all we ask of you and Mrs @BAAKKEERRRR

3 Likes

Can’t remember who said it at one of the Saga meetings, but apparently if the AFL had declared the Melbourne leadership corrupt they would have legally lost control of the pokies that were keeping them semi-afloat at the time.

P.S. On topic, this is probably rubbish timing for us.

1 Like

Can you please clarify for me? Did we bring in someone who was involved with melbourne at the time, or investigated melbourne and found them to have not tanked? Or something else?