The Tennis thread

Has some serious power in his shots

Iā€™ve played a lot of tennis but I donā€™t watch much except for Fed in finals and Kyrgios and Kokk. Iā€™m a big fan of Kyrgios and donā€™t care about his past (exaggerated) flaws. But I think his performance in this tournament is overrated, and he has let another chance of going deep in a major slip due to his immaturity and lack of tactical knowledge. He should be playing cilic in the semi not a fairly ordinary brit.
Kyrgios made some progress in controlling his emotions in the early rounds but he was also playing less aggressively ie his tactics were enormous serve, consistent ground strokes with the occasional aggressive winner. It worked against weaker opponents but left him 2 sets down against Dimitrov who was struggling with his own game and serve, as edmond exposed in the next round.
Kyrgios then started playing aggressively in the 3rd set and won it. he did well to later break back twice but his aggression was uncontrolled and despite the occasional winner no player wins matches against top 5 players with such an uncompetitive game plan. A lot of kyrgiosā€™ forehands land half court. Whenever he comes in and refuses to bend his knees to volley heā€™s being lazy and is throwing the point. The yelling at his box just shows that when he gets behind his anger interferes with his match focus. dimitrov was there for the beating and he let it slip.
To win a slam Kyrgios needs to get very fit, find a balanced aggressive game plan off the ground as well as learning to volley, and mature enough whereby he stops blaming his support team whenever he feels the match slipping away.

7 Likes

Iā€™m a massive fan of Kyrgios as well.

The first time I saw him was the junior doubles event at Wimbledon and he was paired up with the Kok. From the first time watched them I could see both had immense talent and both were very confident young men.

When I watch kyrgios now I still see basically the same player. If he doesnā€™t take his game seriously soon and get a coach I think the game will pass him by very soon.

Johnny Mac said that he is the most talented player to come into the game in the last ten years, and I agree. Unfortunately talent isnā€™t everything.

Thatā€™s a very good point KM. Tactically he still plays like a 17 year old.

If someone like Hewitt canā€™t influence him then Iā€™m not sure who can.

In my experience power hitters have no craft to their game other than hit big. Iā€™d rather see this kyrgios than the flamboyant embarrassment of previous years though.

Kyrgios has beautiful touch on (most of) his drop shots and the angles he hits are top 1% of professional players. I doubt if Tomic can get back even in the top 50, but despite his problems he really knew how to work his opponent over and craft each point.
If Kyrgios was fit, focused and had a viable game plan he wouldnā€™t have to change tactics much for each opponent, as his aggressive style is the only way he would beat Fed or Nadal.

1 Like

who cares about aussie tennis.

get on the CHUNG TRAIN

1 Like

I personally did not see Yaco making it through this far. I was wrong.

4 Likes

chung will win it.

Fed in trouble early

If he wins this first set after the chances Berdych has had, I reckon Berdych will crumble

1 Like

FED
EXPRESS

1 Like

Shut your trap BERD

1 Like

ā– ā– ā– ā– ?

Oh ffs, ā€¦ W@ng is censored?? Pls Rolo, ā€¦ for the love of God sort this ridiculous swear filter crap out. Please!!

I never thought federer would be this good ever again a couple of years back. Heā€™s as good as heā€™s ever been imo

Is he the goat? I vote yes

1 Like

FED

Laver would be the only challenger to Fed.

Iā€™m pretty confident Federer would have Laver covered. Look at him. He rarely even gets out of his seat. I donā€™t think he could last 5 sets these days.

1 Like

Laver does what he likes in his own stadium

1 Like