The Tennis thread

He’s got 17 grand slam titles! How could he lose respect ? One of the greats.

1 Like

I don’t think Nadal is that bad at it but Djokovic definitely fakes injury to upset the momentum in a game if he’s getting beaten.

I think it’s cheating.

1 Like

He’s a 19 year old playing against fully grown and conditioned men, of course his serve will look underwhelming. He’ll grow into his body and earn more free points in a few years.

If he wants to manage himself, don’t enter the tournament s in the first place. That’s why he’s losing respect mate.

And he’s not losing respect for his playing ability. It’s got nothing to do with how many slams he’s won.

It’s his disrespect for fans of these other tournaments. If he has no intention of playing, don’t enter.

Have a look at twitter after he pulled out off brisbane the day of his match.
Or one of the other 20 tournaments in recent times.

Do what Federer does and just don’t enter the tournaments.

Edit: he mightn’t be losing respect in your mind, but there are a huge amount of people that are feeling that way

1 Like

Not sure you could name 1 player that hasnt called for a trainer to halt the momentum in a match…if its cheating well then they are all cheats.

Rafa definitely has the worst Uber eats adds in the game.

he has to hang on as long as he can for this game, going up against a player like rafa in these situations is such vital experience.

1 Like

Don’t forget he’s allowed an hour between points, I guess we got to cut the warrior some slack with all those injuries

1 Like

Incredible fight from De Minaur!

Gets easier for Rafa next round

De Minaur should spend the next 3 months in the gym

1 Like

did rafa just announce his retirement?

The thing with carrying chronic injuries is that sometimes you feel great one day, and can’t get out of bed the next. Some days you feel good, and some days you feel sore. He lives in constant agony he says relies on pain killers most days. And when you have a genetic issue with your feet, have had numerous major knee and wrist surgeries and can barely move whilst playing the most physically demanding game in history, then yes, you’ll be withdrawing from tournaments as you reach the age of 35. That’s the breaks that the tournament directors take knowing his injury history and amount of tennis he has missed through injury but they beg to have his name involved to try an entice other names and an audience.

I want to see these huge amount of people losing respect for Nadal just because he withdraws from crappy side tournaments through injury, and if there are I’m tipping they’re at best casual fans that pop up in tennis season. But yes, wheel him out in the wheelchair for the Kooyong Classic or the Auckland Open.

Not really. He was at the right place and time between the end of the Sampras era and beginning of the Federer era. Same with A Roddick. Very good players but found out against the best. Good luck to him though.

1 Like

And that’s the thing. Hewitt’s timing was pretty good. He snagged a couple when the others were past it or not quite there yet. When they arrived, Hewitt assumed his rightful position in the pecking order.

It wasn’t before the Federer era though. Lleyton just used to beat him.

And if Hewitt wasn’t around against Federer, he may never have became the player he is today.
It’s funny to remember when Hewitt was consistent and good and Federer was flaky and inconsistent.
Then one day it all clicked for Federer.

I remember Hewitt used to have a good back hand down the line.
Was like the modern day Agassi for a while. Great returner in everything.
Then the game changed and became more power based and he struggled getting the returns back.

Lol. Nah just you.

What’s not to love about what the men have achieved despite the three highest profile guys failing- I love it!

De Minaur will be better for the game with Nadal and he had to grind out a couple of tough 5 setters, something Tomic or Krygios would struggle to do - front running pansys that they are.

And what about Bolt and Popyrin? Round of 32 is a super result for two unseeded players.

And you need to get on the Barty party man.

2 Likes

1 Like

Went to Cillic v Verdasco last night, half of the match duration was made up of Cillic bouncing the ball 20 fkn times before each serve!

1 Like