The Tennis thread

aaaaand there it is.

2 Likes

That high pitched noises are more grating than low pitched ones??

Wow, ā€¦ revelatory!!

Mmph.

Whether they are or not doesnā€™t matter, unless youā€™re going to enforce a ā€œno grunting above middle Cā€ rule.

1 Like

People being outraged for the sake of being outraged

Mufflers?? :thinking:

Soooo, ā€¦ whoā€™s outraged?

It was directed at her, sheā€™s the only fat one on the circuit.

And there is no way they will schedule Ramos to umpire her match because then sheā€™ll say the WTA are racist

3 Likes

SMJ obviously.

Iā€™m with you on the screeching, though I reckon Nadal is just as bad, itā€™s bullshit.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s either all bad or none of it is. I find it in general a bit irritating, but you canā€™t make a massive fuss for the women if you donā€™t for the men! Surely weā€™d all agree with that.

And I donā€™t really give two sh/ts about the issue, but thereā€™s a long long long history of people finding womenā€™s voices irritating in circumstances where they would never find a mans voice irritating. Itā€™s callled unconscious bias and itā€™s a thing.

2 Likes

Personally I only really notice Nadal out of the men, but there is every chance there are more. I find most of the men give that soft type of grunt at the end of the stroke but Nadal and sharapova do it when they do a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  drop shot.

1 Like

Yep true.

I always think of the praise accorded to this amazing point whenever I hear about the female grunting issue

Iā€™d have thought it was more about the pitch of the sound than whether itā€™s man/woman.

If Nadal grunted with the high pitch shriek of Maria, Iā€™d despise that too.

Thatā€™s outrageous

Iā€™m fine with Maria screaming.
I really am.

1 Like

I mean personally it doesnā€™t bother me cause I donā€™t watch womenā€™s tennis!

1 Like

I went and watched the Gavrilova mwatch in R1, barely a whimper out of either one.

Sharapova is the worst and there are a couple following closely.
You can tell when itā€™s for extra effort and when itā€™s just a tactic.

We all have different irritation trigger points.

Two people talking at a table in a restaurant ā€“ fine.
A person on their mobile phone talking at a table in a restaurant ā€“ irritating.

High pitched squealing playing every friggin shot ā€“ very irritating. Canā€™t stand it irritating. Will avoid watching the match (or have it on mute) irritating.

As saladin said, itā€™s the pitch thatā€™s the problem rather than the sound. The menā€™s grunting is different and a more bearable and less noticeable - at least to me.

I find rafaā€™s as bad as Sharapova and Williams. Then there are a bunch of others (mostly women) on the level below

I watch Maria.
Binoculars, shinning up drain pipes.
I watch.

Thatā€™s not true. I hate Nadal for that and his ā– ā– ā– ā–  sniff.

1 Like