The Tennis thread

The real story of Miami is Jordan Thompson. Has pulled wins vs Khachanov and Dimitrov, up soon vs Anderson. Probably going to get rolled by the big guy, but a Masters QF would be a huge achievement for him.

Djokovic lost as well

It’s interesting how dimitrov seems to have fallen off the wagon; raonic doesn’t look to have the all-round game to win a major; thiem might go close on clay when nadal retires. zverev still looks a bit skinny and can’t yet go 2 weeks deep into a slam, but I think he’s the real deal, as is tsitsipas.

but geeeez Nick just get your body fit & healthy, and focus on the match and not the crowd or umpiring, because there is a major or 2 just waiting to be taken away from the big 3, as they are still great, but getting more beatable each year.

2 Likes

Yep, totally agree.

If Nick could get his sh!!t together he could take over this game.

Can’t see it happening though unfortunately. Just too flaky.

1 Like

He earns enough cash without having to push himself to the next level. Therefore struggles to get that ultimate motivation.

How very Australian of him.

1 Like

she’s doing well

Barty powers into Miami Open final

01:23

Ashleigh Barty has progressed to the biggest final of her career with a straight-sets win in the Miami Open semi-finals.

The 12th-seeded Australian sealed the match with an ace to storm past 21st seeded Anett Kontaveit 6-3 6-3 - after she had to deal with three rain delays on Thursday, one before the match and two more early in the first set.

Barty, who will rise to a career-best No.9 in the world rankings next week, advanced to a Saturday showdown at the WTA Premier Mandatory event against Simona Halep or Karolina Pliskova.

“Obviously, I’ve been doing the right things throughout the week to put be able to put myself in a position to play for a title,” Barty said.

“You have to go out there and embrace it.”

Romanian Halep would return to top of the rankings if she were to beat Czech Pliskova in their semi-final.

The Barty-Kontaveit match was delayed by more than an hour due to the conditions.

Barty trailed 0-2 when play was first halted just six minutes into the centre court match.

Upon the resumption, the Queenslander broke Kontaveit’s serve to get back to 2-2 before the players were again forced off the court, this time for more than hours.

Barty handled the prolonged absence much better and, after going ahead 5-3, she broke Kontaveit’s serve to love to claim the opening set, aided by a double fault on set point.

Trailing 1-3 in the second set, Barty stuck to her game to win the next five games as Kontaveit’s errors mounted.

“Very long day,” Barty, who passed the time in the locker room by drinking coffee and watching golf, said.

"But for me, it’s an opportunity to come out and play another match.

“We can’t control the weather.”

Congrats to Barty on reaching the top 10. Reckon she is the favorite for the final.

2 Likes

Barty wins the Miami open in good style. Well done Ash.

Steaming up the charts. Some Majors may soon be in the offinng.

5 Likes

Federer wins tournament 101, Isner might as well have not bothered. 6-1 6-4

Thread should be renamed Tennis Thread Barty party

1 Like

Ash Barty single handedly puts Australia into the Fed Cup final. If it’s down here I might even go…

2 Likes

good news, saw some highlights on this mornings news.

On Paper if Stosur can find some form, its a good team
Barty is flying at the moment.

1 Like

Yeah, Stosur is clearly cooked in singles but if she can snag a point it will put them in a good position.

Madrid Open: Roger Federer wins first clay court match in 10190 days with easy win over Richard Gasquet
MAY 8, 20195:31am

Roger Federer showed he can still be a force on clay courts.Source:AFP
AFPAFP
Roger Federer defeated Richard Gasquet 6-2, 6-3 to make a winning return to clay in the second round of the Madrid Open.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion last played on the surface almost three years ago, losing to Dominic Thiem in the Rome third round on May 12, 2016.

Federer skipped playing on clay for two full seasons to concentrate on his grass court form, winning Wimbledon in 2017…

10190 days!!!??? That’s 28 years!

He has been around for quite a while

Fed’s decision to play the French Open rather than focus on preparing to win Wimbledon suggests he is on his farewell to the fans tour.

He’s already publicly stated after a couple of tournaments this year that he’ll be back at those tournaments next year

1 Like

Kyrgios unloads :joy:

Kygrios on Djokovic :joy::joy:

“Simply because, I’ve played him twice (Kyrgios has won both times) and like, I’m sorry, but if you can’t beat me, you’re not the greatest of all time. Because if you like look at my day-to-day routine and how much I train and how much I put in, it’s zero compared to him.”

4 Likes

he sounds vexed