The Tennis thread

What amazes me about that interview is that the guy interviewing him has had an ongoing war with Kygrios for many years.

Kygrios has just given him the best interview he will ever likely see.

4 Likes

N Kyrgios is fantastic. You just can’t look away.

1 Like

I agree completely.
I watched his match against Medvedev the other day. He gave a bit of everything. Medvedev lost it a few times too.
It was awesome to watch

If he’s playing, you’d buy a ticket. He reminds me a bit of that crazy Russian from mid last decade. Name escapes me but he would either completely lose it or play the best tennis you have ever seen, sometimes during the one match. It’s the same with Kyrgios. I can’t get enough of it. Shame the pro tennis season is so brief down here. Would love to see more of him live.

Edit: Marat Safin. He was ace.

1 Like

That interview is rolled gold.

1 Like

Novak did do that thing where he took the mickey out of the players by impersonating them.

4 Likes

I love the honesty.

I wish AFL still had that type of brovado.

Kygrios has certainly ratcheted up the rivalry between the 3 of them and I wouldn’t be surprised if he continues to beat them consistently. He’s the type of personality that needs that extra bit of motivation.

1 Like

Not much I disagree with in that interview really

I don’t think Kygrios is crazy, rather he just says what he wants and does what he wants. That’s more important to him than being the best tennis player possible. He does have a crazy-bad temper though when he starts to lose, which suggests that during that moment when he is confronted with the reality of losing, he wishes he had trained a bit harder.
He seems to disapprove of the absolute decadence yet pointlessness of elite sport, relative to the things that matter in life. So he refuses to participate by trying his best. When he realises he could make a difference to the world by being (one of) the best whilst staying authentic, it may be too late.

3 Likes

And Kyrgios is defaulted in the Italian Open - He lost his temper !

Kyygios has gone overboard again, perhaps too far this time, with an ATP suspension looking likely. They’re saying it’s because he swore at a line judge, but other reports say he was pizzed off at people in the crowd moving and shouting during his serve & that set him off.

theguardian.com

Nick Kyrgios defaulted from Italian Open after hurling chair across court

Agencies

3-4 minutes

Nick Kyrgios has been defaulted from the Italian Open. The volatile Australian was playing his second-round match against Norway’s Casper Ruud at the Foro Italico and had levelled the match at one set all after losing the opener.

After Ruud broke back to make it 1-1 in the deciding set, Kyrgios was given a game penalty, apparently for swearing at a line judge, and promptly erupted. He slammed down his racket, kicked a water bottle and hurled a chair on to the court.

The umpire called the referee to court but, before he could be officially defaulted, Kyrgios told the crowd, “I’m done”, packed up his bag and walked off, to loud whistles and jeers. Ruud was leading 6-3, 6-7,(5), 2-1 and will face Juan Martín del Potro in the third round.

It is far from the first controversy Kyrgios has been involved in and the Australian, who will automatically forfeit his prize money, is sure to face a heavy fine at the very least. The 24-year-old was given a ban by the ATP in 2016 after walking off court midway through a match against Mischa Zverev at the Shanghai Masters and may well find himself suspended again.

Kyrgios’s antics came only 24 hours after he laid into the sport’s biggest stars in an interview on the No Challenges Remaining podcast, saying he “could not stand” Novak Djokovic and calling Rafael Nadal “super salty”.

1 Like

In fairness the chair umpire went a bit heavy handed with the game penalty.

Will be interested to see the whole situation for context.

2 Likes

Nick will probably get suspended and will miss Wimbledon which sucks as that is his best chance to go deep in a Slam. Time will run out very quickly unless he learns to control his temper.
It’s hypocritical that he talks down the importance of professional tennis (which I think is right) but then he goes ballistic at officials who make incorrect calls, or spectators that deliberately bate him. If tennis doesn’t matter then neither does a close line call.

That’s the thing about Italy - such a passionate place.

2 Likes

I usually defend Kygrios but in this instance he has gone too far.

Apparently he was upset that a couple of people were walking around between serves. Granted that’s poor form from the audience but it is an outside court and there is very little management of the crowd from anyone other than the umpire and he’s got enough on his plate with umpiring a game.

1 Like

I would assume he was already given a warning to get a game penalty. Don’t know how anyone can like this uber wanker.

1 Like

I’ve played an enormous amount of tennis, but lost interest in watching the sport until Nick came along. Some of his matches are like watching ballet and magic but executed with brute force and disdain for everything; and then the aftermath is often an absolute train wreck.

That is a beautiful setting for a game of tennis and it’s difficult to understand why Nick can’t enjoy an amazing opportunity to play tennis there.

1 Like

More rolled gold from Nick.

2 Likes

What a flog

2 Likes

Lol.

Gives interview alleging Rafa and camp of poor sportsmanship/sore losers and Novak of over-the-top behaviour.

Then says “hold my beer”.

The guy is unhinged. And I don’t mean that in the standard, pithy humourous way. He really is.

4 Likes