The TVSC - getting there

Not a concern in the soil as when you build you need to do tests and cleanup.

Melbourne Airport has ~100,000 passengers per day.

The TVSC covers ~5 degrees of arc taken from the intersection of the runways. So, if we assume the lead load is evenly spread (which is silly, planes have this thing about landing in line with the runways, and the TVSC is roughly half-way between the two runway lines) then ~1,500 passengers dump onto the TVSC arc. So the planes are roughly equal to 1,000 cars/day.

In other words, Melrose Drive cars/trucks/buses have probably done a lot more damage than the planes.

As planes prefer to take off and land into the wind, then the fuel use for the east-west runway would greatly favour us as given Melbourneā€™s prevalent wind conditions most flights land from the east and take off to the west. The use of the north-south runway would vary more by season ā€” during off-season training visits there Iā€™ve seen plenty of planes landing from the south.

Any actual experts feel free to rip the above apart, but hey, ask a stupid questionā€¦

Not worried about lead, but Chemtrails.

Discovered through a mate that pilots joy flights, that it turns out, ā€œAv Gasā€ is quite a different thing to ā€œJet Fuelā€, and is only used in piston motored aircraft,. . so it probably isnā€™t an issue. (Iā€™m not sure how many if any small planes use Tulla).

But it might be a worry for anyone living around Essendon airport if thatā€™s the case.
Also begs the question why they havenā€™t removed it from that fuel yet.

Iā€™m guessing here but I would suggest your probably getting more harm from the diesel fuels in buses and trucks than the limited number of planes taking off and landing at either airport.

Also worth noting that Av Gas is now available in unleaded and low lead for use in some engines

1 Like

Apologies if this has already been posted and discussed somewhere elseā€¦ Damned if I couldnā€™t find it elsewhereā€™s.

Without clicking the link, there is a Herald-Sun poll attached to the article Should we build another sports stadium near Melbourne airport, which currently shows 70.79% for the proposal, (1,755 votes) and 29.21% (724 votes) against the proposal.

Seeing as itā€™s our club theyā€™re talking aboutā€¦ your thoughts.

Future Melbourne: AFL stadium could be built at Essendonā€™s Tullamarine home base

PETER ROLFE and ALEKS DEVIC, Herald Sun
June 24, 2017 9:00pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/future-melbourne/future-melbourne-afl-stadium-could-be-built-at-essendons-tullamarine-home-base/news-story/49eb7b151c70e1c57188b324ff24d12e

A NEW airport sports stadium could be built in a bid to breathe new life into Melbourneā€™s fast-growing northwest, with Essendon Football Clubā€™s headquarters proposed for expansion.

Melbourne Airport chief executive Lyell Strambi has raised the prospect of a boutique stadium to bring more people to the region and suggested Essendonā€™s home base as a possible solution.

With a rail link likely to one day be built from the CBD, and key roads ā€” including the Tullamarine Freeway, Ring Rd and Calder Freeway ā€” linking the city to the airport, he said it warranted investigation.

ā€œIf you look at all the successful stadiums around the world, they are located around transport hubs,ā€ Mr Strambi said.

He said Tullamarine would become a mobility hub in decades to come.

ā€œThatā€™s why the MCG is so damn good, because itā€™s so central and in the middle of a hub,ā€™ā€™ he said.

Tourism and Major Events Minister John Eren said the government was ā€œalways interested in ideas that will help Melbourne remain the sporting and events capital of the worldā€.

The Bombers boast MCG and Etihad Stadium-sized training ovals, high-performance facilities, gym, pool, administration base, cafe and room to expand their state-of-the-art ā€œhangarā€™ā€™.

Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell said the club was ā€œvery comfortableā€™ā€™ playing its matches at the ā€œiconicā€™ā€™ MCG and Etihad Stadium, which is likely to be revamped, but it was open to expanding its site.

ā€œWhether there is an opportunity to explore with the airport or other parties, greater expansion of one or both of the ovals for AFLW or VFL games, that may be something to explore in due course,ā€™ā€™ he said.

Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell said the club was ā€œvery comfortableā€™ā€™ playing its matches at the ā€œiconicā€™ā€™ MCG and Etihad Stadium, which is likely to be revamped, but it was open to expanding its site.

ā€œWhether there is an opportunity to explore with the airport or other parties, greater expansion of one or both of the ovals for AFLW or VFL games, that may be something to explore in due course,ā€™ā€™ he said.

The Bombers recently revealed plans to perform an $18 million facility upgrade at the clubā€™s Tullamarine base.

While acknowledging any move to build a new stadium at Essendonā€™s Melrose Drive ground could be years away, Mr Strambi said it could work in the future.

1 Like

If they were to build a stadium everything would be demolished as it stands no? Itā€™s not exactly got the room for a proper stadium to be built there without affecting the existing facilities.

1 Like

yugi,7fyiy7

Oh, thatā€™s why the MCG is good?

1 Like

Yeah. I agree.

Thereā€™s a shipload of vacant land at Tulla. If they want to build it go down the road apiece.

Build it in the old quarry site over the other side of the freeway. Itā€™s opposite Qantas catering which is north of T-1 and is behind the refuelling depot which is also on the north side of the freeway and connected by road tunnel.

Locals and people entering the airport from the Bulla side of the airport will know the area I refer to.

Anyway, what would be the requirements of building something that contained a large crowd so close to an airport and flight traffic. I dunno, I suppose you donā€™t get much more crowded than an airport terminal and thereā€™s thousands of them going around without misshaps.

Theyā€™ve been talking about getting rail to the aiport since it was being built. Itā€™s never happened. Chances are it never will.

Noonan would make an interesting Uber driver.

Jesus!

WTFFF?

1 Like

You know thereā€™s laws against inciting acts likely to cause injury right?

Beneath that gnarled and crusty exterior there is a friendly and welcoming pussycat begging to be emancipatedā€¦

Nah, not really. I was thinking more along the lines of Noonan being an anti- Andrew L Urban, doing a Front Up style show from his Uber asking terrified passengers questions about themselves, berating them on the answers they give all after disabling the central locking so they can only get out when he says itā€™s time to get out. Iā€™d watch that show.

1 Like

You know me so wellā€¦but there is a taxi driver in Port Fairy and Iā€™d have some issues trying to undercut some poor buggerā€™s job when I need neither the money nor the aggravation. The money would be niceā€¦I could get an 85" TV for the dunny, but whatā€™s the point?

2 Likes