The Weather Thread (not allowed to talk about rain)

Breeze has been somewhat lacking lately imo, but beggers can’t be choosers.

1 Like

Rarely a lack of breeze on the SW Coast…but, saying that, bit light on today. No blue sky either but that often clears up in the afternoon.

2 Likes

A lot of cloud moving north from Bass Strait towards the coastal areas, signals a bit of a wind change and the effects are being felt in the city (26° down to 22°) but outer suburbs and northern areas won’t be impacted at all.

Should be all gone by tomorrow afternoon and then :arrow_up::fire: again from Wednesday.

Northern areas are going to absolute bake for the next 7-10 days.

The weather in Rads is simply amazing at the moment.

1 Like

you know how to do summer

1 Like

Indeed. I’m just getting ready for a vitamin d therapy session.

Only a mild one.
Doubt it’s too long before the week or two straight of 40+ comes around

Meanwhile, up in the Kimberleys, disaster of epic proportions.
Kangaroos climbing stairs, frogs hitching rides on wallabies.
RAAF planes can’t land at Halls Creek and remoter settlements, Broome airport on partial shut downs.
Helicopters about the only means of transport.
Helicopters being brought from the east and south to assist.

Melbourne (City) has recorded 37.6°C so far today - highest maximum since 31/12/21 (379 days ago).

Some suburbs have recorded 38°C or 39°C.

Adelaide City got to 40.6 today with some suburbs getting to 41.5.
8th consecutive day of 30+ but a bit cooler tomorrow before hitting the high 30’s again on Monday and Tuesday.
Still yet to see our 44+ days that we get regularly in recent years

1 Like

I hope everyone else started their boomerang throwing session before 7 this morning. Was pleasantly mild and clouded over then.

20 years since the Canberra bushfires. It will bring back trauma for some.
Thinking of WA with the floods in the north and the bushfires in the south, just surviving, so cut off.
I was in the Riverina on the day, told not to come as roads were blocked.
Neighbours hosed down my house, only smoke damage and no power for two weeks.
Colleagues who had lost everything fronted to work on the Monday.
Fortunately we had a real leader in Stanhope, the ACT Chief Minister.

1 Like

Melbourne: 38 degrees one day, dark and perpetual misty [thing that must not be mentioned] the next.

Maybe I’ve been living in Melbourne too long now but I quite like the breakup in the summer. Often 4-5 days that steadily warm before reaching a peak, followed by a stormy change, then a day like today where you can open up the doors and windows and air the house out. Take a bit of a breather.

Those places that are just perpetually sunny/hot for months and months on end is just way too monotonous. Nice for a holiday for a week or two but that’s about it.

3 Likes

I’m just sad because I will actually have to pay for electricity today. Had gone 20 days in a row in profit, record now ruined.

2 Likes

Not ideal for this particular power situation, that’s for sure. But looks like steadily improving from tomorrow - like clockwork. :sunny:

They are getting pretty excited up there after just passing the 30°C mark (30.2° to be precise) for the first time since February 21 last year - 331 days ago.

Their last day at 35°C or over was January 26 2021 - 722 days ago.

1 Like

‘The cool change’ is very Melbourne.
Doesn’t happen elsewhere, they have their breezes and winds.
Canberra bbqs, keep a box of woollens for the guests when the southerly arrives from the coast in the evenings.

1 Like

I remember back when I first moved to Perth…after a series of stinking hot days, the temp was predicted to drop from mid 30s down to 30-31 the next day and all the talk at work was how good ii will be to get the “cool change”

I laughed at them and proceeded to describe a proper Melbourne cool change…storm comes in and temp drops 15-20 degrees in minutes…I fondly remember those days :slight_smile:

7 Likes

And that’s one place that is truly “monotonous” that I was mentioning in a previous post.

From about early November to early April, it’s almost the same thing… every. single. day.

The locals talk it up like it’s amazing but it’s a very subjective opinion. Similar to California in a way.

There are many cases we hear of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) in relation to cold/grey conditions, particularly in Europe, but also works in reverse in California where people get this disorder because it’s just non-stop sunshine for months and months on end. I’m not sure what the statistics are like in other areas of the world with similar weather but there must be some research out there.