Things from Ol' Blitz, we'd luv to get back on New Blitz

A reply to: @Kozza regarding QuoteLink

Sorry if this is already on your to-do list, but could we get something along the lines of that little icon next to thread titles that indicated which ones we've posted in? Thanks Riolio :)

That might be available as a plugin…

A reply to: @Bombamick regarding QuoteLink

I post on a lot of forums of variable content and I must say I've yet to encounter a change so unnecessary whilst so self destructive as an ends to some unexplained means. Reminds me of Richard Kingsmills review of Radioheads Kid A as a follow up to OK Computer. He labelled it as "career suicide" and whilst they may have lingered under a cloak of supposed indie credibilty, they were never the same band. "Pssst here's the thing"..."they were ■■■■"

Bomberblitz needs to take it’s hand off and just be a f#cking footy forum. Save all the IT bullshit for the wankers who spend their weekends donning the lycra and ■■■■■■■ off motorists.

It’s a shame you managed to come across from the old blitz.

Quoted Post

id like more colour back....more red please the grey background is kinda boring....feels like the heritage guernsey.

Blitz had a black and red scheme well over a decade ago.
Think Tanking Carlton, but very, very marginally more readable.

So,I just got my 1st tablet, and most pages I can expand with the fingers thing, but doesn’t seem to work on blitz Vanilla?

Should it?

A reply to: @Riolio regarding QuoteLink

Bomberblitz needs to take it's hand off and just be a f#cking footy forum. Save all the IT bullshit for the wankers who spend their weekends donning the lycra and ■■■■■■■ off motorists.

Actually I’ll give you a non-dismissive reply, because I’m super curious what on earth you mean by the above statement.

I’d love nothing more than to ‘take my hand’ off this forum. There are hosted options out there for forum software but given the wild popularity of Blitz it’d cost around $1000/month (that’s USD, too) to run. Spoiler: Google ads won’t cover that. So instead I’m a web designer pretending to be a server admin trying to be a good forum admin.

You may recall old, pre-Saga Blitz. It was running a hacked version of its forum software. When it crashed we lost everything, I was able to scrape out the table of usernames and a few details but that was it. So we needed to run new software which meant a larger (more complex and expensive) server. The version of Blitz I setup after that crashed regularly as you may recall. A few weeks ago it began to crash even more regularly and in worse, more difficult to repair ways than it ever had before. Last crash I was concerned that once again we had lost everything.

And yes, I run my own business. So yes, every time Blitz crashed I had to ‘put my hand on’ and fix it. That included during work, during games, during family holidays, etc. I’m not looking for sympathy, I’m just trying to make this all crystal clear to an expert who ‘posts on a lot of forums’.

So, seeing an opportunity (the freaking off-season for freak’s sake) to move Blitz to another forum software I took it. Fortunately I was able to find someone to customise an import script for this forum software, because the previous platform was poorly supported. This platform is more widely supported so if we can’t get it to where we’d like eventually, there will be WAY more options to move it again. This platform was pretty much our only option. And for now, it appears much more stable than the previous version of Blitz.

I’m not happy with how it looks currently.

I’m not happy with the current lack of a few features.

I am working on an updated theme for the forum.

I am working with a developer to custom create plugins for this platform which will restore the functionality we want (like quote notifications).

I am a cyclist and if I slow you down for 5 seconds of your incredibly busy day on the road I’m not sorry. Deal with it.

Lastly, I’m really thankful for everyone’s patience during this time of transition. My aim is to have it all cleaned up before the season proper begins.

Thank you for your feedback.

Hi Riolio,

I would just like to thank you for all your efforts on this.

For most of us regulars, Blitz takes a lot of our time as consumers and producers of ephemera. We do not understand the effort that goes on behind the scenes. Nevertheless, we very much appreciate what you have been doing. All the more so when you explain it like in this post.

Let us know if we can do anything in support of your efforts.

And all the best for a Happy New Year!

I would have just said ■■■■ off have a ban hammer

A reply to: @Riolio regarding QuoteLink

Bomberblitz needs to take it's hand off and just be a f#cking footy forum. Save all the IT bullshit for the wankers who spend their weekends donning the lycra and ■■■■■■■ off motorists.

Actually I’ll give you a non-dismissive reply, because I’m super curious what on earth you mean by the above statement.

I’d love nothing more than to ‘take my hand’ off this forum. There are hosted options out there for forum software but given the wild popularity of Blitz it’d cost around $1000/month (that’s USD, too) to run. Spoiler: Google ads won’t cover that. So instead I’m a web designer pretending to be a server admin trying to be a good forum admin.

You may recall old, pre-Saga Blitz. It was running a hacked version of its forum software. When it crashed we lost everything, I was able to scrape out the table of usernames and a few details but that was it. So we needed to run new software which meant a larger (more complex and expensive) server. The version of Blitz I setup after that crashed regularly as you may recall. A few weeks ago it began to crash even more regularly and in worse, more difficult to repair ways than it ever had before. Last crash I was concerned that once again we had lost everything.

And yes, I run my own business. So yes, every time Blitz crashed I had to ‘put my hand on’ and fix it. That included during work, during games, during family holidays, etc. I’m not looking for sympathy, I’m just trying to make this all crystal clear to an expert who ‘posts on a lot of forums’.

So, seeing an opportunity (the freaking off-season for freak’s sake) to move Blitz to another forum software I took it. Fortunately I was able to find someone to customise an import script for this forum software, because the previous platform was poorly supported. This platform is more widely supported so if we can’t get it to where we’d like eventually, there will be WAY more options to move it again. This platform was pretty much our only option. And for now, it appears much more stable than the previous version of Blitz.

I am working with a developer to custom create plugins for this platform which will restore the functionality we want (like quote notifications).

I am a cyclist and if I slow you down for 5 seconds of your incredibly busy day on the road I’m not sorry. Deal with it.

Lastly, I’m really thankful for everyone’s patience during this time of transition. My aim is to have it all cleaned up before the season proper begins.

Now that’s what you call a quality response right there people. Take note because it earns a galactical amount of kudos from the challengers of the status quo. The sycophants (you know who you are) will always rear their embarrassing heads in times like these and for what? A misguided belief that they belong. Quite sad really.

What I like about you Riolo is that you smacked this ■■■■ down like a mother ■■■■■■ whilst maintaining a semblance of someone wanting to educate a fellow Blitzer as to the complexities of hosting a forum like BB in the current environment. I accept your explanations and I apologize for my belief that these changes were the result of an attempt to over stylise the format ahead of the quality of the page layout. I hope you have success soon in sorting these issues.

My view on cyclists however remains .

“Huuuhuhhh turns out I’ve been a bit of a bellend because I didn’t read anything at all and then went off the deep end at someone - if I kiss ■■■■ enough whilst simultaneously having a potshot at everyone else do you think people will forget it??”

SUCCESSS

Quoted Post

Sycophants.

Still shows up read forums in non-bold type if you look at the whole forum, but not if you’re in a category (footy or General Gibberish etc)

Can that be fixed?

Also I would love to be able to delete posts. You’ve no idea how many things I post and immediately regret.

A reply to: @Henry’s Angry Pills regarding QuoteLink

Also I would love to be able to delete posts. You’ve no idea how many things I post and immediately regret.

Can we have an option to do that in real life also :wink:

A dedicated button for latest posts. Make the New discussion a sub tab.

Deleted.

Had to do with an addon in F Fox. Carry on.

When will ASAGA thread be up? AFL tribunal resumes on Monday doesn’t it?

delete. I was too late to the party.

What’s a Richard Kingsmill?

This might be nitpicky, but it would be nice if new threads that you’ve never been in had the same appearance as threads you’ve been in with new unread posts (like old blitz)

Another nitpicky one, I would like if I knew who liked my posts. I mean it doesn’t happen that often but it would be nice to know who likes me so I can like them back.

Quoted Post

Another nitpicky one, I would like if I knew who liked my posts. I mean it doesn't happen that often but it would be nice to know who likes me so I can like them back.

That’s coming in the new theme

Quoted Post

This might be nitpicky, but it would be nice if new threads that you've never been in had the same appearance as threads you've been in with new unread posts (like old blitz)

That, too.