Things that aren’t a thing thread

We seem to now be in a world where the slightest change to the status quo is the gateway to disaster in the eyes of some, so I thought a thread chronicling these instances would be fun. Here is one to kick it off.

No Chris, being told to not climb Uluru won’t lead to a ban on pork.

This is not a thing.

2 Likes

Fark Carlton!
That is a thing

1 Like

I have a deeply divided opinion on this topic (not on Kenny), because one of my favourite things to do is climb something and get photos from the top.

1 Like

You’ll get a much better photo from the top of King’s Canyon than you ever will from Uluru.
Uluru is surrounded by flatness, except the Olga’s in the distance

3 Likes

Trouble is for those who don’t climb out of respect, there is no good alternative. Walking around Uluru, there is (or at least was when we were there) no good walking track and you have to contend with fumes from dozens of tourists buses, as well as try not to get run over by those buses, cars and other vehicles.

big rocks are overrated.

Kevin Spacey says this is not a thing

3 Likes

But does this make sense when the thing you want to see is the very same thing you’re climbing?

Surely you don’t go to Uluru for the views from the top, you go to see the thing you’re standing on.

It’s not like the Empire State Building, you don’t go for the views, you go for the thing itself

1 Like

That one steep slippery slope fallacy.

There is a paved path that runs all the way around it, and you can take a guided tour as well

Got into a beef with a bloke in the coffee shop this morning about this.

I feel like I won’t the argument when I said “why did you put up the sign in the loo that says don’t stand on the toilet to take a deuce” you can climb the rock if I can take a ■■■■ standing on your loo

1 Like

I support your ‘don’t be a ■■■■ to other cultures’ thing, but I don’t think standing on a toilet is really the analogy you’re looking for.

3 Likes

St Paul’s Cathedral is right there in the heart of Melbourne. Why don’t people climb it? It’s big. It’s an important place for the spiritual wellbeing of it’s community. I’m not part of that community but it’s a very impressive building. Why shouldn’t I climb it?..

1 Like

Pleanty of churches you can climb in Europe.

But I want to climb that one. My right to climb whatever I want takes precedence over the cultural sensitivities of the owners of that place or any other. Surely?

2 Likes

I think you’re forgetting that their deity is the real one.

How dare you judge benfti’s culture like that.

I had an office across the road from St Paul’s, on the 7th floor once, but only for a little while.
Magnificent views.

The real obvious one is “if we let the gays marry each other, then marrying children will be next - and then who are we going to ■■■■?”

1 Like

A former workplace had those “don’t stand up to pinch off a loaf” signs up in all the cubicles, including the wheelchair one.

I thought that was just rubbing their faces in it.

2 Likes