Things you have to do or see when in Vancouver

I don't think Mero likes me. He'll probably send me to the Vancouver equivalent of Broadmeadows.

Only place I’ve ever felt I was in the wrong place was in downtown east Vancouver. There were literally people walking around with syringes hanging out of their arms, people crawling along in the gutters, wasted. Think it’s cleaned up now though.

What were you doing there? Aren’t you a clean living person from Northcote?

Downtown east side Vancouver is between downtown Vancouver and Gastown. Most direct way to get there is via Hastings Street, which becomes the worst street in Canada for a few blocks when it passes through DTES. It’s worse than any area I’ve ever seen anywhere. Gastown is lovely though.

Yep, shield the Kids eyes as you go past Pidgeon Park

Oh, and if you like high calorie cholesterol inducing Breakfasts..... Nat baileys Breakfast from Whitespot Anything from the Tomahawk in Northvan

and if it’s still there, it has one of the best private collections of native art/crafts in BC on display

If you want to see how the other half lives, keep walking past Gastown and into the heart of Vancouver East. You’ll end up in some very seedy areas. I’m not easily spooked but will confess the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up… Junkies, hookers, injection centres, the whole nine yards…

Can recommend Whistler for skiing, Stanley Park for a stroll, and taking in an ice hockey game (be it the Caunucks in the NHL or the other Vancouver team in the lower-tier competition which draws a few thousand too).

We're going in less than a week. Will be there for 4 days. Need ideas. Fast.

What you only thought of this now?

Thought about it ages ago. Only started acting on it just now.
I don't think Mero likes me. He'll probably send me to the Vancouver equivalent of Broadmeadows.

Only place I’ve ever felt I was in the wrong place was in downtown east Vancouver. There were literally people walking around with syringes hanging out of their arms, people crawling along in the gutters, wasted. Think it’s cleaned up now though.

Not as of 2 years ago it wasn’t. Was still as eye-opening as ever…

Get a hire car
Drive down to Tsawwassen and take BC ferry over to Vancouver Island.
Enjoy

What were you doing there? Aren’t you a clean living person from Northcote?

The fellas were taking me for a tour of town. Real eye opener.

Sounds like where we will be staying in San Francisco.

Yeah, SF, like a lot of big US cities, you only have to walk a block or two in the wrong direction and it goes down hill real fast, no pun intended.

We walked halfway to the Giants baseball stadium after a few beers before we realised. Vegas, LA, DC the same, NYC is the one I actually felt pretty safe in this time around.

Thanks to all for the tips and recommendations.

Now does anyone know anything about Hong Kong?

Ask yaco

Ask yaco

Doesn’t Captain Jack live there???

Ask yaco

Doesn’t Captain Jack live there???

No.

Diggers - Exactly what information do you require ? I’ll write something tonight.

Diggers - Exactly what information do you require ? I'll write something tonight.
Hello yaco. We've got two full days in HK (27-28/1/17) and we are looking for some ideas on what to do/see and where to eat from those with experience of the place. We have a few ideas from the usual sources but were hoping for some tips on some lesser known attractions or stuff that may not feature on Trip Advisor.
Diggers - Exactly what information do you require ? I'll write something tonight.
Hello yaco. We've got two full days in HK (27-28/1/17) and we are looking for some ideas on what to do/see and where to eat from those with experience of the place. We have a few ideas from the usual sources but were hoping for some tips on some lesser known attractions or stuff that may not feature on Trip Advisor.

You are visiting HK right in the middle of Chinese New Year which is 28-31/01/2017 - Effectively lots of small businesses start closing from after lunch on the 27th - So if you were looking for that authentic Cantonese eating experience at small local place your options may be limited - Certain the bigger places will be open - A very popular and famous place is Michelin Star Kam’s Roast Goose in Hennessy Rd, Wanchai - It’s a small 30 seater restaurant which always has queue’s of waiting for a table - Other similar places are Temple St in Jordan ( outside restaurants ) which is on the Kowloon side - Activities depends on your interests - HK has some of the best walking trials in the world at Sai Kung National Park, though time may not be your friend - Children will like Disneyland or Ocean Park - Nothing is more romantic than a tram ride up The Peak.

I love how easy it is in Hong Kong to “get out of town” and go for a walk through rural towns and uninhabited areas — for example, across Lamma Island, from and to different ferries.

If that’s your thing. A few photos at:

http://davidj.richardson.name/japan-china/catalog_58.html

I love how easy it is in Hong Kong to “get out of town” and go for a walk through rural towns and uninhabited areas — for example, across Lamma Island, from and to different ferries.

If that’s your thing. A few photos at:

http://davidj.richardson.name/japan-china/catalog_58.html

You are spot on with your post - HK is heaven for the outdoors type of person - You could easily spend 2 weeks exploring Sai Kung National Park.

So how’d you go?

I liked Vancouver. Expensive but it had a good feel about it. It had been snowing just before we arrived and the place seemed in a flap because they told us it hardly ever snows in 'Couv but it was back to regular form by raining the whole time we were there. Saw the usual sites but wasn’t that impressed with Granville Island to be honest. Most of it was closed and what was open was selling crap. The students in the student galleries gave us the impression that they didn’t want us looking at their art, likewise with the stand alone artisans. Met heaps of locals who were all very welcoming. Treated us very well. Lots of homeless. No, leaps of homeless people near our hotel on Robson St. It’s more expensive than Perth over there so I’m not surprised. Did the suspension bridge, strolled through Stanley Park in between rain showers. Went to Gas Town although to get there we went through an area that was very threatening. Not sure if I got the directions wrong or the jerk who told us to go that way thought it would be funny but for three blocks I was on edge. Shady c*nts in doorways and down alleys having a good look at us. Was convinced I was going to have to fight some guy for my wallet and phone. Overall it was pretty good. Felt a lot like Melbourne actually.

I liked Vancouver. Expensive but it had a good feel about it. It had been snowing just before we arrived and the place seemed in a flap because they told us it hardly ever snows in 'Couv but it was back to regular form by raining the whole time we were there. Saw the usual sites but wasn't that impressed with Granville Island to be honest. Most of it was closed and what was open was selling crap. The students in the student galleries gave us the impression that they didn't want us looking at their art, likewise with the stand alone artisans. Met heaps of locals who were all very welcoming. Treated us very well. Lots of homeless. No, leaps of homeless people near our hotel on Robson St. It's more expensive than Perth over there so I'm not surprised. Did the suspension bridge, strolled through Stanley Park in between rain showers. Went to Gas Town although to get there we went through an area that was very threatening. Not sure if I got the directions wrong or the jerk who told us to go that way thought it would be funny but for three blocks I was on edge. Shady c*nts in doorways and down alleys having a good look at us. Was convinced I was going to have to fight some guy for my wallet and phone. Overall it was pretty good. Felt a lot like Melbourne actually.

Did you actually go to the food market, or just the surrounds? Curious, as the food market is usually spot on- though I can understand how you’d feel about the rest of the place if it was partially closed. An did you get to the Brewery??