Things you have to do or see when in Vancouver

I liked Vancouver. Expensive but it had a good feel about it. It had been snowing just before we arrived and the place seemed in a flap because they told us it hardly ever snows in 'Couv but it was back to regular form by raining the whole time we were there. Saw the usual sites but wasn't that impressed with Granville Island to be honest. Most of it was closed and what was open was selling crap. The students in the student galleries gave us the impression that they didn't want us looking at their art, likewise with the stand alone artisans. Met heaps of locals who were all very welcoming. Treated us very well. Lots of homeless. No, leaps of homeless people near our hotel on Robson St. It's more expensive than Perth over there so I'm not surprised. Did the suspension bridge, strolled through Stanley Park in between rain showers. Went to Gas Town although to get there we went through an area that was very threatening. Not sure if I got the directions wrong or the jerk who told us to go that way thought it would be funny but for three blocks I was on edge. Shady c*nts in doorways and down alleys having a good look at us. Was convinced I was going to have to fight some guy for my wallet and phone. Overall it was pretty good. Felt a lot like Melbourne actually.

Did you actually go to the food market, or just the surrounds? Curious, as the food market is usually spot on- though I can understand how you’d feel about the rest of the place if it was partially closed. An did you get to the Brewery??

The food market was closed. Didn't get to the brewery. The concrete batching plant was open although I don't think they wanted tourists wandering through. I'm sure if everything was open it would have been a better experience. Bad timing on our part.
I liked Vancouver. Expensive but it had a good feel about it. It had been snowing just before we arrived and the place seemed in a flap because they told us it hardly ever snows in 'Couv but it was back to regular form by raining the whole time we were there. Saw the usual sites but wasn't that impressed with Granville Island to be honest. Most of it was closed and what was open was selling crap. The students in the student galleries gave us the impression that they didn't want us looking at their art, likewise with the stand alone artisans. Met heaps of locals who were all very welcoming. Treated us very well. Lots of homeless. No, leaps of homeless people near our hotel on Robson St. It's more expensive than Perth over there so I'm not surprised. Did the suspension bridge, strolled through Stanley Park in between rain showers. Went to Gas Town although to get there we went through an area that was very threatening. Not sure if I got the directions wrong or the jerk who told us to go that way thought it would be funny but for three blocks I was on edge. Shady c*nts in doorways and down alleys having a good look at us. Was convinced I was going to have to fight some guy for my wallet and phone. Overall it was pretty good. Felt a lot like Melbourne actually.

Did you actually go to the food market, or just the surrounds? Curious, as the food market is usually spot on- though I can understand how you’d feel about the rest of the place if it was partially closed. An did you get to the Brewery??

The food market was closed. Didn't get to the brewery. The concrete batching plant was open although I don't think they wanted tourists wandering through. I'm sure if everything was open it would have been a better experience. Bad timing on our part.

:frowning:

:frowning:

We were a little disappointed but I think it was just a bad time of year to go there. We had a cracking time everywhere else in Vancouver. Would go back there in a heartbeat.

Vancouver (with the exception of the goddawful downtown east area) is a fabulous place. I’ve always thought it was one place I could quite cheerfully emigrate to. Fabulous skiing & windsurfing nearby, beautiful parks, beaches and harbour… It’s just great. The rapidly increasing number of homeless in the city centre is a big problem though…

Vancouver (with the exception of the goddawful downtown east area) is a fabulous place. I've always thought it was one place I could quite cheerfully emigrate to. Fabulous skiing & windsurfing nearby, beautiful parks, beaches and harbour... It's just great. The rapidly increasing number of homeless in the city centre is a big problem though....

I was there in 2010 and even back then the homeless was looking to be a social problem for the city. Wasn’t as bad as San Francisco in the same year but it was definitely something that was a blight on such a beautiful city. It was clear to me that the city didn’t look to care for its unfortunate, and seems to have got worse since.

What cities (even Melbourne) don’t realise is that it’s the tourists that notice these things more than the locals. The locals are busy going about their days to really notice and become immune to it. Tourists on the other hand get up early in the day to explore. This is the time when the homeless are still bedding down, makeshift tents and living areas are still unpacked. The tourists are bright eyed and keen to see the sights… and they sure see the sights.

Shame really. I too have always said if I ever had the chance to emigrate elsewhere, it would be to Vancouver. Just hope they do the right thing and find a better solution for the homeless crisis they clearly have. Ditto Melbourne.

Vancouver (with the exception of the goddawful downtown east area) is a fabulous place. I've always thought it was one place I could quite cheerfully emigrate to. Fabulous skiing & windsurfing nearby, beautiful parks, beaches and harbour... It's just great. The rapidly increasing number of homeless in the city centre is a big problem though....

I was there in 2010 and even back then the homeless was looking to be a social problem for the city. Wasn’t as bad as San Francisco in the same year but it was definitely something that was a blight on such a beautiful city. It was clear to me that the city didn’t look to care for its unfortunate, and seems to have got worse since.

What cities (even Melbourne) don’t realise is that it’s the tourists that notice these things more than the locals. The locals are busy going about their days to really notice and become immune to it. Tourists on the other hand get up early in the day to explore. This is the time when the homeless are still bedding down, makeshift tents and living areas are still unpacked. The tourists are bright eyed and keen to see the sights… and they sure see the sights.

Shame really. I too have always said if I ever had the chance to emigrate elsewhere, it would be to Vancouver. Just hope they do the right thing and find a better solution for the homeless crisis they clearly have. Ditto Melbourne.

It was getting bad back in 2006, which is the first time I went there. Actually, it wasn’t just confined to Vancouver - it seemed to be Canada as a whole. It was moderate in Ottawa, quite noticeable in Montreal & Victoria, and absolutely rife in Toronto. The only place (that we went to) which didn’t seem overtly affected was Quebec City.

I haven’t been back to any city other than Vancouver, so can’t comment whether the situation seems better/worse/same. Maybe it’s just the time of year (I’ve been in Jan-Feb every time i.e. cold), but it always seemed particularly prevalent around entry points to the subway systems and shopping complexes (esp. Toronto where you just about had to carve your way through the smell of p1ss with a chainsaw). Not in a threatening way mind you, just a little unsettling & confronting.

Just booked going back to Vancouver Island in July. B)