This country is just loony tunes

I tried to start a sex cult once. It's more difficult than it sounds.

if thinking of pedophiles takes you back to high school memories, i can see why you'd have difficulties starting one :p

I'm going to say you missed the point of my high school post... By a fair bit.

Not enough people keen on worshipping the old spicy salami?

Not enough people keen on worshipping the old spicy salami?

Ranga orgys are more niche than I had expected

I stopped reading when I got to "Colorado Springs".

One of the most repressed places on the face of the Earth. Might be worse than Utah.

So I grew up in quite a liberal household. I'm not exaggerating here - I cannot comprehend what is behind the demonisation of sex and why it is so damn important to these people. My best guess is that women are seen as some sort of sub-species. Am I on the right track?

Christain fundalmentalism that harks back to Adam and Eve. Women are weak and are unable to control their desires and it leads to the ruination of good men.

IE complete and utter bullshite.

Why did I read that article thinking tone abet’s name would appear in it somewhere…

It is about control, all religion is

hehe woodcock

l wonder if she is related tp Tommy.
How come there are no corresponding mother / son abstinence balls? Probably because the women don't want to talk about it.
This is more than weird, it is disturbing.

For a country founded by people escaping religious repression there sure is a lot of it here in the US.

Scary that series like True Detective probably do capture a lot of accurate situations.

For a country founded by people escaping religious repression there sure is a lot of it here in the US.

Scary that series like True Detective probably do capture a lot of accurate situations.

The Americas was settled by Puritans.  

What does true detective capture that accurate?  That nut Job murders pretend to be Christians while practising witchcraft? 

I'm guessing he means your perfectly logical sex cults.

That would have been a cool twist.

It was the Morning After Pill's fault all along.

Control? For what end?
I'd say it has its roots in self-validation. Its not just religion either, indeed they can be on the receiving end themselves. History is littered with examples of persecution of all sorts largely based on the idea that not believing what I believe is a threat to me.
Fundamentalism of any type is a surrendering of the human ability to examine and rationalize logically. Incredibly dangerous, whatever the form or cause.
The dualistic notion of spiritual vs material - usually attended by good vs evil -is older than Christianity and certainly not confined to it. The notion that sex is intrinsically evil whilst also engaging in it to create your own children whom you then love , is seriously farked up. If there's any evil in any of that, it most surely lies in the attempt to invoke fear and loathing within an individual for themselves. That's the ultimate form of control, actually.

Are you the same Aaron who was defending Fred Phelps?

Are you the same Aaron who was defending Fred Phelps?

wasnt defending him, was defending his rights.

So what's with the not subtle enough username change?
Are you christian? I'm not having a dig or anything, I just find it interesting that you post more prolifically when that topic comes up.

@ Aaron

Yeah fair enough on the username stuff, was just asking. I'm sorry you got rejected (Like a boss).

All fair enough on the rest of it too, and as I said... wasn't having a dig.

Only thing I'll comment on is

But i also feel it comes from a good place, no man would want there daughter to be married to a jerk or be the town bicycle or become a prostitute, it is good if a father wants his daughter to get married to a good man and live happily ever after, i really dont understand why the article picks on these people, they present it as though it is destroying the childrens lives, but they just want what they believe is good for there kids.  

Of course they wouldn't, but it's not their choice. I mean, I'm pretty sure no woman actually wants to become a prostitute or be known as the 'town bike,' but maybe they want to have a lot of sex with many different people? And not because they are 'troubled,' but because they actually want to? And they like it? Religion is the tool these fathers are using, to control the life that their daughters lead. Of course all the girls will say it was their choice, but that's because they were force fed a 2000 year old story book since they were children, as though it was absolute fact.

The way you've framed it, it seems you're saying that women can only be one of two ways; Live happily ever after with a 'nice' man, or be ■■■■■ and prostitutes. Which is a pretty Christian mindset. In the bible, two characters in Jesus' life are named Mary. One is a Virgin, one is a prostitute.      

Sometimes the idea of control, comes from a very good and noble place. But it's still control. 

As far as stupid ■■■■ goes America isn't the only place in the world where there are fucktards doing fucktard things. But apparently we have to comment about it more.

Control? For what end?

I'd say it has its roots in self-validation.

Not sure what you mean?  

Its not just religion either, indeed they can be on the receiving end themselves. History is littered with examples of persecution of all sorts largely based on the idea that not believing what I believe is a threat to me.
I dont disagree, but that is a sweeping generalisation and not all religion is about persecuting those who dont believe what you believe, and as you said it is not limited to religion, it can happen in politics, office politics to the school yard. And in relation to Ivans comment, it dosnt show that religion is all about control, there are plenty of people who believe in religion who are not "controlled" Id say the vast majority are not "controlled" I just dont see this "control" you talk of, as being what all religion is about. With some exceptions of course. 

Fundamentalism of any type is a surrendering of the human ability to examine and rationalize logically. Incredibly dangerous, whatever the form or cause.
But there was no mention of any fundie stuff in the Chastity ball at all.  I certainly wouldnt call them fundies. 

The dualistic notion of spiritual vs material - usually attended by good vs evil -is older than Christianity and certainly not confined to it.

Being moral is not exclusive to religion. 

The notion that sex is intrinsically evil whilst also engaging in it to create your own children whom you then love , is seriously farked up. If there's any evil in any of that, it most surely lies in the attempt to invoke fear and loathing within an individual for themselves. That's the ultimate form of control, actually.

They never made any blanket claim that sex was evil in the article, im not sure if any religion that does.

They simply want to instill there convictions unto there children, and that is they believe that a man and woman should be in a monogamous marriage and enjoy sex within it. Anything outside of it is wrong in there belief.    

You raised the notion that it probably stems from a belief in the contest between the desires of the flesh and the spirit.  I was expanding on thoughts in relation to your post, not so much the article re the demonising of sexual desire.

as for what do i mean by self-validation, the second line answers that.  many people don't cope well with others not sharing their views or beliefs, I believe that they draw validation from those who do.  Occasionally to an extreme (and very regrettable) amount.  

and i was not suggesting that all religions do this, or all people within, or even that it is limited to religion. but i stated that originally.  these very boards are a good example of how prevalent it is in many area's of life, lol.

The Americas was settled by Puritans.  

What does true detective capture that accurate?  That nut Job murders pretend to be Christians while practising witchcraft? 

Not the murders. Everything else. Like the role religion plays in parts of the deep south. The power wielded by the church. The suspension of critical thinking caused by this.

I respect everyone's right to believe in what they think to be the truth. Just have a hard time accepting that anyone should then be able to forcefully push that belief on others.

But i also feel it comes from a good place, no man would want there daughter to be married to a jerk or be the town bicycle or become a prostitute, it is good if a father wants his daughter to get married to a good man and live happily ever after, i really dont understand why the article picks on these people, they present it as though it is destroying the childrens lives, but they just want what they believe is good for there kids.  

This goes beyond the "slippery slope" and goes more into "fall off a cliff" territory.

I don't think any parent would want their child to grow up selling their body, and from what I've heard there are some women who choose not to be sex workers so it's ridiculous to think that this is the only way to prevent that lifestyle choice.

It demonstrates an inherent mistrust of women. Sure, they've instilled good morals into their daughters, but going this far says that they simply do not trust their daughters to make their own decisions, and that they are so weak-willed they will crumble at the mere thought of a ■■■■■.

Why is feminine purity considered more important than masculine purity? If you believe that sex should only occur within the institution of marriage, that’s fine. But I don’t see any purity balls for boys. It makes me think that these events are driven by an irrational fear of female promiscuity.