Thorpedo - gay

Really shattered that image I had of him skolling beer cans and smashing them on his head.

Has he got a book coming out soon?

I wonder what Jason Ball thinks

Forget Ball, I wonder what abet thinks, I hope he doesn't feel too threatened.

errr - his sister is gay.

Media showing themselves to be complete hypocrites over the issue as always.

Congratulating themselves on how its not a big deal but then proceed to plaster the news all over their web-sites.

I've always felt sorry for Thorpe having to answer the 'Are you gay' questions from idiot journos over the years. Why its anyone elses business is beyond me.

In related news, 3AW have just embarrassed themselves with their opening segment.

I flipped over to SEN after that and caught the end of their similar discussion and they seemed to be a lot more professional and less in denial mode.

Has been touched on many times that his reluctance to come out may have had a lot to do with financial sponsorship in some countries where being gay is not accepted as much to the extent(though not fully) that is accepeted here.

Was he advised badly by the people looking after him.

I know the following may sound wrong but it would be easier( if that is possible) for him due to his profile then say for  the average person who has to deal with the real world to openly admit his or hers  sexuality?

G Louganis  since his well publiceised coming out in 88 should of been a inspiration for him!

Forget Ball, I wonder what abet thinks, I hope he doesn't feel too threatened.

errr - his sister is gay.

I'm just going by his comments regarding the issue, that's all.

"He was expanding on comments he made on 60 Minutes on Sunday night, in which he said: "I probably feel a bit threatened (by homosexuality), as so many people do."

Forget Ball, I wonder what abet AaronJohns1 thinks, I hope he doesn't feel too threatened.

I've never liked Thorpe, I dislike swimming in general as a 'sport'. However, if this helps him get his **** together, then, good for him. And, if this helps anyone out there that's gay, lesbian or transgender then hopefully the publicity it will attract helps. If your friends and family don't like you for who you are, then they're the ones who have a problem.

What is not to like about Ian Thorpe ?
Best swimmer of all time, nice guy, not a big head, was always humble in victory and took defeat well. And if you are suggesting swimming is not a sport, bah! More legitimate than most.

i guess i pre judjge him cause i dont really lie swimming. i respect them as athletes, but it gets soooo much hype in australia, so much funding.

hes a champion, no doubt. just a bit vanilla for me, vanilla sport, vanilla champ.

Big call to call him the best swimmer of all time…

Dawn Fraser, Phelps, Spitz and lots of others.

I always thought he was. Good on him not hiding anymore.

Congratulating themselves on how its not a big deal but then proceed to plaster the news all over their web-sites.

I've always felt sorry for Thorpe having to answer the 'Are you gay' questions from idiot journos over the years. Why its anyone elses business is beyond me.

Damn straight

<3 Thorpie!

<3 Thorpie!

Not reciprocated, em.

<3 Thorpie!

Not reciprocated, em.

You're mean.

Damn straight

Or not straight...as the case may be.

Inspired by the Thorpedo, I too decided to come out to my wife earlier this evening, but somewhat disconcertingly, she quickly dismissed the possibility that I could be a lesbian trapped in a man's body.  Frankly, she was a little condescending about it too, in a 1980s kind of way.

THORPEDO!!

But yeah nah, who gives a toss?

thought the line of pearl necklaces may have been a giveaway.

Shocked and amazed. There was simply no hint ever that this dude was gay.

Im in shock aswell, next thing they will tell us is Freddie Mercury was gay

I was equally as shocked when Ricky Martin come out.

Ricky Martin is gay??