Thoughts for a fellow Bomber Supporter with Lymphoma

Hugs and best wishes my friend.

1 Like

Also hoping things go well for your friend - yes medical advances have come a long way with these illnesses = good luck will come his way

an update on old mate!

"Hi all.

Weā€™ve back back in Burnie about a hour after overnighting in Launceston. Our phones have been on silent because of the hospital environment.

First the good news.
The sun was shining , the birds were singing in a beautiful light breeze and itā€™s lasted till now.

We got to Nuclear Medicine at 9.30am and they gave me something that they told me to stay away from children and pregnant women until midday tomorrow. Wow thatā€™s creepy. They scanned my torso and heart with this stuf in me and all up, we were there for about 1 and a half hours and all went to planā€¦ I donā€™t know the results.

Iā€™ll put this in the good news.
I didnā€™t have to do a bone marrow biopsy.

The bad news.
The reason I didnā€™t have to do a bone marrow biopsy is because the tests Iā€™ve already taken reveal the extent of the Lymphoma throughout my body. Itā€™s everywhere and Iā€™m definitely category four with lymphoma throughout my bones, apparently. This has brought my survival rate down to fifty percentā€¦ Heads or tails.

Because I am so anemic, I require a blood transfusion of red blood cells in Burnie at 9am tomorrow which they hope will strengthen me up. Especially for Friday.

And this could fall in both good news and bad news. Chemotherapy starts on Friday if Iā€™m strong enough (I will be) at 8.30am.

Iā€™ve been told to take it easy, avoid public places for fear of infection and that Iā€™m an extremely unwell person.

Most of that is a bit gloomy but Iā€™m feeling lucky and Iā€™m going for that 50-percent target.

Stay safe and well yā€™all.
Love
K"

7 Likes

His last comment to me personal was

Iā€™m gunna fight

5 Likes

Amazing & wonderful that he remains positive.
Hope the boys can bring some joy on Thurs (I know itā€™s just JLT but a win would be nice.)
Fingers crossed that all goes as well as possible in his journey- itā€™s important he has good friends like you.

3 Likes

For an old Bomber supporter his stories around 84 and 85 on the phone I would not let go just soaking his stories of that time, he is a fantastic person as well.

4 Likes

Good hospital, I was born there 54 years ago. Coming back to visit in a months time. Good luck to your mate.

1 Like

Wishing your mate and a fellow Bomber supporter all the very best.

Hope the treatment goes well.

1 Like

Wishing you the best of luck and hoping for the best news!

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

1 Like

Best wishes for the battle ahead and hereā€™s hoping for a great outcome.

Hopefully the bombers bring some better news this season!

3 Likes

wish him and you all the best. hope it all works out because sometimes you get a good report after treatments. i feel for him as i have been in a similar but differant cancer but just keep on fighting

1 Like

Anyone on here with any clout with the club, could get the club to contact him or send him something to brighten his day and so he knows the mighty bombers are with him all the way???

4 Likes

Old mate the other day rang me as he has tickets to ANZAC day and wanted to be there but canā€™t make and offered them to me, which unfortunately I canā€™t make but what a kind gesture. He said he wanted someone to be sitting in his seat barracking for them as much as he would.

Latest update from his text last Friday

Another little update.

Last Friday my hematologist rang me back and authorized two needles boosting white blood cell production to be administered over Saturday and Sunday.

Subsequently, I had a positive blood test result early afternoon on Moday and seeing it was good, Chemotherapy in the later afternoon Monday.

I was issued one only needle to administer Tuesday evening to once again boost white blood cells in preparation for the next Chemotherapy session.

So far so good, no nausea and Iā€™m feeling well within myself. The next Chemotherapy session (number-4) is booked for Anzac day at 11am.

There is a PET scan (whole body in detail) booked for the 30th down in Hobart. This is to see how the Chemo is working, whether the doses need to be upped or lowered, indeed is it working at all or do I need a different lot of irradiated chemicals pumped into me.

I have my 30yo middle son of three sons staying with me right now (leaving tomorrow back to Cairns) and Iā€™m enjoying his company, catching up and showing him around the North West Coast.

Thatā€™s all my news. You all stay safe and well out there.

5 Likes

I agree !

Just texting with him now and talking VFL and how much he loves radio DJR for his coverage.

4 Likes

Our prayers and thoughts are with him

1 Like

Some positive news and an update, even with our team getting some negative football one man stands positive;

"Hi Tasrailers. Just an update while Iā€™m sitting in a chair in Burnie hospital getting Chemotherapy session No.5. On the 30th I did a PET scan and got a very good result. The cancer in the lymph nodes is in full retreat with only a couple of hot spots showing as needing a further zapping with Chemotherapy. The Hematologist was pleased with the progress made and I happily thought maybe another two chemotherapy sessions would see me out. Nah, not the case. Apparently Iā€™ve gotta go the full 12 Chemo sessions planned. So at todayā€™s Chemo session No.5, Iā€™m not even half way. Damn! Some people have severe reactions to Chemotherapy. So far, thatā€™s not me. No vomiting, nausea, headaches, aches, pains or rashes. The Hematologist was so happy with my progress and tolerance to Chemotherapy that he has given me permission to return to work in a limited capacity and as long as I can tolerate it. Haha, imagine being given a choice of not having to go to work if you fi nd it intolerable. Anyways, Iā€™ve been in discussion with Frenchy about returning to work while still doing Chemotherapy and heā€™s sorting that out with H.Rā€¦ (eventually). Thatā€™s it guys. Yā€™all stay safe and well out there and Iā€™ll maybe catch you up soon. "

Good to hear!

13 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s really good news for him. :+1:

1 Like

Great news.

1 Like

If only we had some way to predict a personā€™s response to treatment, or risk of disease, or risk of disease outcomesā€¦

1 Like