Thread for Realists - the 2014/2015 “Lid On” thread

Given the fallout from our Saturday night debacle, I thought we needed one of these.

I searched through several pages, and couldn’t find an existing Lid On Thread.

So here it is.

Now, all the pessimistic, half glass empty c*ntz can post away at their leisure, without bringing the Lid Off guys down.

I’m thinking ya Geoff Blethyns,ya Darknightpheonixs, ya Rossoneris, ya Clone Hirdys, ya Longys Tap 2s, ya Mattgmc87s, ya Shelton10s, ya Walter Whites etc…

For my own part, I’m normally positive, and generally able to see an upward curve.

I walked out of Etihad following Rd.2 as happy a supporter could be after a loss.Even given Hawthorn had a little more quality missing, I genuinely thought we had made a significant stride forward.

Perhaps, we could even give them an almighty scare if we met them again in September ?

Fast forward a week later, Chappy puts through his 4th to put us 15 goals up against our most hated rival.

Walking back to my car that night, if someone had have told me that we would be dismantled by an undermanned Freo, and then lose comfortably to the Saints, I would have had them certified.

This is a tough game, a tough league, I understand that.

There are circumstances that conspire against the best made plans.

How much of a factor has the gastro bug, and the unlucky scenario of having to play in Perth’s daytime heat been on our lethargic last 6qtrs of footy ?

I guess we will have a better idea come the mid point of the season.

For now, I am very concerned.

No doubt, we will come out on Friday, and be a much better prepared and committed outfit.

Problem is, I don’t think it will be enough.

IMO, Collingwood are about the 6th best side.

Not much better, not much worse.

Certainly no easy beats.

I honestly believe we need Goddard to tip this one in our favour, and I have no confidence in him playing.

Belly is underdone, and should play another in the 2’s.

JD needs to be carried through this period of his development.

Senior games for him are important, especially games like this.

We can’t expect much.

Hurls has been well beaten the last 2 weeks.Albeit, against very good players when we have been well beaten in the midfield.

I hope we send Hooker to Cloke, as I think he will be too good for Hurls.

With the exception of Myers and Stanton, most of our mids are down on output and touch.And we are coming up against a pretty damn good midfield.

Down forward, it gets more depressing.

Carlisle is struggling to have any influence, and Hardy’s form has tapered.

Hoping that the return of Winders can solidify that group.

So, assuming the worst happens, and we lose.

Where do we go from 2 and 4 ?

Might even be a challenge to muster the 13 wins required to make Finals from there ?

Sure, the draw opens up for us, but if you can’t beat St.Kilda, then we simply can’t pencil in games like WB or Rich or even GCS as wins.

This will sound silly, and I will come under criticism, but even at Rd.5 I sense our season slipping away, given the ambitions and demographic of our list almost commanding a Top 4 finish.

I am becoming a half glass empty guy.

The team has done that to me.

I’m fkn worried !

Unless we show a dramatic turnaround in making smart decisions and kicking goals… we are going to finish 7-10th this season. Lid is definitely on for me.

Just biding our time. Let the lid off guys have their fantasy about how this year will be different to the last 10 years, then watch the crushing realization (usually by May) that it is the same as the last 10 years.

Last time I was in here.
How accurate does this seen at the moment.
Lid on for the moment for me.

wins over cats and eagles would put me back in the lid off thread tho.

Rinse and repeat

Generally I look forward to the bye, which we have in two weeks, but I'm looking forward to the end of the season. Last time we had the bye on Round 12 was 2012. From the remaining 11 games, we won 3, and then managed to string 7 straight losses in a row to end the year.

We have yet to be truely thrashed this year, but I’m going to guess that hawthorn will end that run after the bye if Geelong don’t do so this weekend. Better get the pop corn out for round 15 when we engage in full Essington mode and lose to melbourne again.

Unlikely we’ll break out 10 year finals win drought, and on last nights game I don’t think richmond will break their’s either if they make the 8.

Lol. You kidding? You don’t think West Coast will smash us? Yesterday they were 6.21 in the 3rd quarter, they will kick 21.6 against us by the same stage of the match. Don’t worry about how Hurls and Hooker are, they can’t stop the floodgates.

Yep, make no mistake, this was our year. Our list demographic was set up for it. If we can't get up off the canvas, and I cannot see how we can, then we are well and truly screwed. I can only see backwards from here.

At the end of the year we’ll be looking at Carltons draft picks and wishing.

We are going to have very similar picks if form is anything to go by. At this rate we may finish in the bottom 4. Highly unlikely Carlscum get a priority pick this year.

Yep, make no mistake, this was our year. Our list demographic was set up for it. If we can’t get up off the canvas, and I cannot see how we can, then we are well and truly screwed. I can only see backwards from here.

At the end of the year we’ll be looking at Carltons draft picks and wishing.

Just biding our time. Let the lid off guys have their fantasy about how this year will be different to the last 10 years, then watch the crushing realization (usually by May) that it is the same as the last 10 years.

Last time I was in here.

Wins over the cats (lol) and eagles (snigger) might get us back to ninth… If that’s lid off then wow.

I wonder if Hird still rates us as a B…

Last time I was in here.

Generally I look forward to the bye, which we have in two weeks, but I’m looking forward to the end of the season. Last time we had the bye on Round 12 was 2012. From the remaining 11 games, we won 3, and then managed to string 7 straight losses in a row to end the year.

We have yet to be truely thrashed this year, but I’m going to guess that hawthorn will end that run after the bye if Geelong don’t do so this weekend. Better get the pop corn out for round 15 when we engage in full Essington mode and lose to melbourne again.

Unlikely we’ll break out 10 year finals win drought, and on last nights game I don’t think richmond will break their’s either if they make the 8.

was amusing when people were excited by the Brisbane win.

Or how hard everyone got over the pre season melbourne win being ‘good for the kids’.

Refer to my thread blokes. Im with ya

The creator of Lid Off joins Lid On!
What an historic moment!

■■■■■■ turncoat…

So, here’s what’s happened to the lid:

It was intercepted by Hooker deep in our D50, who played on immediately. Ignoring Stanton who ran past for the handlid receive, he swept a handpass wide to Hibberd in the pocket who was immediately under pressure. Bags foolishly created an option on the right, but feigning to him, Pig fired out a customary 15 metre left hand handpass, to Dempsey who was flat footed and only 2 metres away at the time. Fat Courtenay did manage to get around his opponent though, swooped on the lid, bounced on the run… and of course, kept on running while the lid plugged heavily into the ground.

Zac Merrett bustled in, dived on the lid and cleverly choosing not to take possession himself, knocked it on to Heppell in space at half back, who, finding no sideways option, and not seeing Stanton now on his 4th lap around the oval and 40 metres clear on the members wing, floated a 23 metre foot pass back to Hurley 30 metres out from our defensive goal line, exactly 0.15 of a metre above Hurley’s outstretched fingertips. Luckily, gadget arms appeared from our defensive goal square and smashed the lid back outside D50 to an unmanned Melksham, who baulked left, baulked right, and then blind turned around no one straight into on-coming traffic before chiselling a terrific low and fast foot pass directly to Bellchambers’ opponent in the centre circle.

Somehow, Belly managed to elevate to his maximum of 3 inches off the ground, and without at any stage losing grip of his handbag or mirror, miraculously knocked the lid away from his opponent and directly into the path of Colyer on the burst. Little Trav streamed past Stanton (now on his 7th lap), and seeing Daniher in the goal square already going up for the mark, had little choice but to stab a dinky pass into CHF in the vicinity of Ambrose and Howlett. With eyes only for the lid, Patty and the Bobcat laid a classical and perfect bump on each other, allowing the lid to fall loose… and BJ to cut loose with a tirade of finger pointing at his fallen team mates.

Jackson Merrett sprinted onto the lid and having a clear, unguarded line to goal, immediately ran away from it so he could snap high and long over his shoulder toward the goal square. With Chappy busy in the pocket admiring his 3 premiership medallions and Norm Smith medal (which he in fact, keeps in his pocket at all times), Cooney busy counting all his money (since he hadn’t seen any at Footscray), and the hard working Jobe puking in slow motion on the half forward flank, Buckets was the lone man in the square, up against 4.

The lid being metal, the ‘clunk’ was audible as Buckets took a beauty. With big Jake lining up from just 13 and a half metres out directly in front, most players had obviously already gone to position for the kick in from the upcoming behind, and the score board had already credited the point. Surprising everyone at the ground, not least himself, Carlisle hit it perfectly and sent it heading straight toward the middle of the goal at half post height… whereupon it struck Joey Daniher square in the forehead while he was still on his descent from the highest point of his earlier early marking attempt. It then bounced back to the earth with a thud, and – somewhat like EFC’s hopes for the rest of the year - buried itself firmly and deeply into the MCG turf half a metre short of the goal line.

So there you have it folks, as an erstwhile lid offer, I have to finally concede that the lid is firmly ON and it doesn’t seem likely to be going anywhere again anytime soon… (at least, until we beat Geelong, West Coast and Hawthorn over the next month).

I just called obriens,our premiership window is ■■■■■■!

Looks like I should probably be posting here… and I think I might have good reason to for awhile.

By the time Essendon play Hawthorn they’ll be 4:7 needing to win 8 of the remaining 11 to play finals (assuming 12 gets you in). It ain’t happening. Time to start the rebuild.

Just thought I’d sign in to pass on my condolences to the Essendon Football Club for the inevitable passing of Season 2015.

A season that started so well, but first signs of an illness showed up in the last quarter versus Carlton, with doctors confirming a chronic illness following a lucky 2 pt win versus last years wooden spooners. Last night, the doctor confirmed our season is terminal, with only a few rounds left to live.

Collingwood, North and Richmond - surely 2 wins out of those 3 would’ve come our way, but it’s 0 from 3, and with Geel, WCE in Perth and then Haw, we won’t win again until July. By then we’ll be 4-8 and talking about draft picks.

Once the AFL tribunal cleared us, I honestly thought we would’ve been 6-3 by now, and no way I would be thinking that the Giants, Bulldogs and Melbourne have more upside this year than us.

RIP Season 2015.

was amusing when people were excited by the Brisbane win.

Good morning. Where do I find the application form for the Lid On team? I think I’m ready to commit to the cause.

As frustrating as our predicament is right now, I fear there is worse to come. Don’t get me wrong, this seaon has a little more to play out and things can change on a dime. What concerns me, as I have indicated before, is what the state of the list will be like come 2017.

The way I see things, there will be 8 staple players who will be finished or near enough to. This means we need to find eight quality players in two off seasons just to hold ground. This means 4 or 5 of these can’t be young developed kids.

I think a priority is to find a couple of bulls like a Mark & Jason Johnson or even a Calthorpe that won’t get pushed off the ball and feed outside players. Also need an A grade ruck to feed the bulls. Next a couple of selfish type players who want to kick goals.

I know easier said than done.

Refer to my thread blokes. Im with ya

The creator of Lid Off joins Lid On!
What an historic moment!

Historic and yet sad too. I know that there’s a fair bit of pisstaking going on but it was alot of fun to read.

I said to a mate last night that I haven’t conceded cause it’s just still to early in the season, but on form/confidence we are done.

Almost time to nail the lid on shut. If we lose the next two, I will be a fully paid up member of this thread at the bye.