Pell and other allegations

Say Pell didn't know for sure, is seems to be inconceivable that he hadn't heard the rumours of what was happening. Rumours of sexual abuse are an immediate cause of action. Those children needed protection from the devil and he did nothing to help them.
We are talking about the 70s and 80s here when he was basically just an ordinary priest. And it was a different time back then.

“It was a different time.”

Aka ‘we didn’t know hiding those who ■■■■■■ children and denying their crimes and refusing their victims compensation was wrong.’

If this piece of ■■■■ ever gets let back on the site, mods, promise to ban me for good?

No friggin’ way.
But I can confirm that looking the other way on ■■■■-■■■■■■■ children was still a bit of a no-no even in the ancient times of 1986, it’s not just you.

I hope that helps.

It started off as ‘How could he have known?’

Then it moved to ‘so what, it was the 80’s, how could he know kiddie fiddling was bad?’

Quite a disturbing thread really

Pell, those per priest and even DT must know Christian churches were founded on the teachings of Jesus.

Here is what he had to say on the matter nearly 2000 years ago:

“… whoever shall offend one of these little ones who believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.”

Now Jesus is famous for being a peace loving type, so that gives you some idea of what he thought of these people.

I wonder what in the world Pell and all those ped priests were thinking when they read this part of the Gospels, especially to their congregations?

AT…those words only apply to Protestants and other godless types.

This is absolutely no excuse for ignoring child abuse but it might be part of the puzzle as to why it was allowed to occur for so long. It is thought a significant percentage of practicing clergy are closeted agnostics or atheists. Quite a number from different backgrounds have confided this and the most common reasons are that in seminary or the equivalent the depths that biblical teachings go to leaves them unbelieving because it is simply so hard to believe once you peel back the superficial layers. Another reason is that as a community leader many of them feel hopeless in helping which contradicts their reason for becoming a priest. Eventually all of the “it’s all a test, keep praying” doesn’t make sense any more. By all accounts it’s an extremely lonely existence pretending to everyone you are someone you’re not and feeling trapped into doing it day in, day out.

So, if you wonder how someone could so ironically run a sermon that speaks against the very crime going on under one’s nose there’s a potential explanation. They themselves may not even believe what they’re saying anyway. It all adds into an existence that is secretive and protective.

This is absolutely no excuse for ignoring child abuse but it might be part of the puzzle as to why it was allowed to occur for so long. It is thought a significant percentage of practicing clergy are closeted agnostics or atheists. Quite a number from different backgrounds have confided this and the most common reasons are that in seminary or the equivalent the depths that biblical teachings go to leaves them unbelieving because it is simply so hard to believe once you peel back the superficial layers. Another reason is that as a community leader many of them feel hopeless in helping which contradicts their reason for becoming a priest. Eventually all of the "it's all a test, keep praying" doesn't make sense any more. By all accounts it's an extremely lonely existence pretending to everyone you are someone you're not and feeling trapped into doing it day in, day out.

So, if you wonder how someone could so ironically run a sermon that speaks against the very crime going on under one’s nose there’s a potential explanation. They themselves may not even believe what they’re saying anyway. It all adds into an existence that is secretive and protective.

I like interesting thinking. But maybe for some of them it’s as simple as they are sexually attracted to children. Where can one go in this society, what can one do with ones life, if one is sexually attracted to children? The Catholic Church sounds like a good starting point.

This is absolutely no excuse for ignoring child abuse but it might be part of the puzzle as to why it was allowed to occur for so long. It is thought a significant percentage of practicing clergy are closeted agnostics or atheists. Quite a number from different backgrounds have confided this and the most common reasons are that in seminary or the equivalent the depths that biblical teachings go to leaves them unbelieving because it is simply so hard to believe once you peel back the superficial layers. Another reason is that as a community leader many of them feel hopeless in helping which contradicts their reason for becoming a priest. Eventually all of the "it's all a test, keep praying" doesn't make sense any more. By all accounts it's an extremely lonely existence pretending to everyone you are someone you're not and feeling trapped into doing it day in, day out.

I like interesting thinking. But maybe for some of them it’s as simple as they are sexually attracted to children. Where can one go in this society, what can one do with ones life, if one is sexually attracted to children? The Catholic Church sounds like a good starting point.

I was meaning more the ‘overlooking’ of child molestation by those who aren’t attracted to children within the churches. Basically, those who understand how wrong it is but keep it secret anyway.

I was meaning more the ‘overlooking’ of child molestation by those who aren’t attracted to children within the churches. Basically, those who understand how wrong it is but keep it secret anyway.

Nice one. Sorry, must not have read your post properly.

I suppose they need to think up an excuse for these people, in their heads. To justify their inaction.

Nice one. Sorry, must not have read your post properly.

I suppose they need to think up an excuse for these people, in their heads. To justify their inaction.

Pretty much. It’s more than that though. The nature of the organisation is protectionist. It’s hypocritical. Like all of the riches of certain churches despite the teachings they preach being of the opposite ideology.

No big deal. He’s a Catholic. Go to confession, reel off a few Hail Marys and bingo, the slate is clean. Atonement is easy when you know how.

Seems Vic Pol are investigating Pell for abuse.

Article in Hun

This is absolutely no excuse for ignoring child abuse but it might be part of the puzzle as to why it was allowed to occur for so long. It is thought a significant percentage of practicing clergy are closeted agnostics or atheists. *snip*
What does that have to do with not touching kiddies or not reporting those who touch kiddies? Have I missed a link?

Could be he is doing more than covering up for others.

Victoria police are ‘investigating abuse allegations against Cardinal George Pell’, according to an explosive new report.

Police are investigating allegations Cardinal Pell sexually abused minors by “both grooming and opportunity’’ during his time as a priest in Ballarat and when he was Archbishop of Melbourne, according to a Herald Sun report.

Victoria Police have told Yahoo7 News they are aware of the report but “cannot comment on any cases in which an individual has been named”.

Numerous alleged victims are reportedly working with detectives during a year-long investigation.

The Herald Sun says “Cardinal Pell has vehemently denied all claims”.

More to come.

Seems Vic Pol are investigating Pell for abuse.

Article in Hun

Those cursed notoriously left wing Victorian coppers are at it again.

Witch-hunt

EAD Andrew Bolt

Don’t wanna judge him.
Yet.

So it’s all the closet atheists turning a blind eye to child abuse that kept this thing going so long? I must’ve read that wrong, cause that’s easily the dumbest thing I’ve read on blitz, unless I’ve misread it.

1 Like
Don't wanna judge him. Yet.

Yeah, it must be noted that the timing is… Curious? Or Highly unfortunate (for him)? Or just coincidental? Possibly opportunistic? Delightfully ironic?

The timing is interesting anyway.

Easy accusation to make…particularly when your emotional state has made fragile by suffering.

I knew this accusation would come along…don’t necessarily believe this one.

The HS article says 5-10 boys over 20 odd years, and they’re running a year long investigation.

Obviously the guy has enemies, he’s a worm, but that would be a lot of police time assigned to patently frivolous claims.

Don't wanna judge him. Yet.

Yeah, it must be noted that the timing is… Curious? Or Highly unfortunate (for him)? Or just coincidental? Possibly opportunistic? Delightfully ironic?

The timing is interesting anyway.

Or (those lefties at) the HS has known about it for months and chose to run it now.