Time to sit the affected boys out

It’s time Essendon and James Hird made the call to sit every player affected by the SAGA out for the remainder of the year and play the kids.

Extended sick leave for these guys could only do them good, They don’t deserve what’s happening to them it’s an utter disgrace, They’ve been let down by everyone around them including the club, But now they’re caught in the middle of a witch hunt where WADA/ASADA want a scalp, They don’t want to rid the sport of drug cheats they want a reason to justify their existence and they’re being allowed to do it and that’s wrong.

Time to protect our players as best we can and letting them play isn’t doing that.

Unless all they want to do is get out there and play some footy.

Yep. For some it’s probably all they look forward to.

Yeah lets kill our kids

I think it is a fair call. Players like Hurley Hooker Heppell etc aren’t affected by it to impact them on game day. Jobe clearly is. So pick them out and rest them. Send them on a holiday.

They are paid top dollar to play footy. Jeez, you would think they are returning from a deployment in Afghanistan the way some of you carry on.

SOS Clint Jones!!!

Yep, 100% back this. I hope the club is reading this. 3 years is WAY to long to be putting up with this bull.

Sure looked like it on Sunday.

Did you see Jobe’s body language, Poor guy is ruined.

Should be offered to anybody that wants it.

There is more to life than footy.

Have you watched us play the last month?

They are paid top dollar to play footy. Jeez, you would think they are returning from a deployment in Afghanistan the way some of you carry on.

Just because you don’t get sent to a war zone doesn’t mean that depression and other mental health issues aren’t real. Australia has one of the highest suicide rates amongst young men in the world. Its about time we took mental health issues seriously, being well paid footballers doesn’t make them immune.

We should be sitting them in a room with a psychologist… and then taking that persons advice.

Stressed, depressed, anxiety, I reckon there would be a list of them.

This isn’t a HTFU issue. This is a mental health issue caused by a pervading hopelessness that is out of the players control. And not all of them will be affected by it. But those that will need to be given the opportunity to get sorted out, or they will ■■■■ their entire careers or worse.

This may or may not be appropriate.

We should be sitting them in a room with a psychologist... and then taking that persons advice.

Stressed, depressed, anxiety, I reckon there would be a list of them.

This isn’t a HTFU issue. This is a mental health issue caused by a pervading hopelessness that is out of the players control. And not all of them will be affected by it. But those that will need to be given the opportunity to get sorted out, or they will ■■■■ their entire careers or worse.

Agree, lose the player/s for 10 weeks or lose the player/s for good. Easy choice.

Just because you don’t get sent to a war zone doesn’t mean that depression and other mental health issues aren’t real. Australia has one of the highest suicide rates amongst young men in the world. Its about time we took mental health issues seriously, being well paid footballers doesn’t make them immune.

Well that’s not correct we don;t have one of the highest suicide rates in the world, we wouldn’t even be top 20. I do agree mental health is a serious issue though. My thought is that they would know the wada case isn’t being heard till the end of the season and has no impact on this season regardless and that it’s more likely than not that they will be cleared due to the previous success in the asada case. I also think most of the stress would have come from the media attention and fan sledging that would of come in the previous seasons, now the fans and media have fatigue over the story so that coverage isn’t close to what it was years ago when we were still playing solid patches of footy.

Obviously there is a fatigue that’s set in from it still being around, but i think its minimal, maybe 10%, i think it’s more so the realisation (like carlton) that this aging group with this coach will not win a premiership and will not play finals this year and they are struggling for any motivation. I think they have lost faith that under this current system/coaching team that they will ever be a real challenger, that’s where the real depression sets in and the wada issue then becomes amplified.

Have you watched us play the last month?

Sure have. If you’re all so worried about the players well being and all they want to do is play footy why would you prevent them from doing that? Because they’re playing like ■■■■ I guess so really all you want is the kids brought in just so YOU can feel better about yourself?

Of course is it’s all guesswork I have no idea if they boys want to play footy or take a break or what the want to do. But if they just want to get out on the ground and try and forget things for a couple of hours a week then go for it.

For the mental well being of the player/players this should be a must.

If the AFL clamps down on the club for such action, then they, the broadcasters & sundry should be made to be embarrassed

through the press & public opinion.

What’s happening to the players with the wada appeal is one of the hardest things to deal with mentally.

It’s not that it’s any different in stress to what they have had. It’s that they thought they were done they had made it to the life raft, then you throw them into the ocean again, only this time there is no life raft to swim to. There are just a bunch of hungry sharks in the distance.

This type of challenge is something they throw at SF soldiers to break them. Give them a diabolically difficult mission, keep them up for a week, make them physically and mentally exhausted and when they get through just before dark, think they are done and their on the truck on the way home, take them to a boat drive 6 miles off shore throw them out and leave them to swim home.

It’s not the diabolical mission that breaks them, it’s the second part, when they get back and spend a week thawing out in hot showers the numbers that quit are astronomical.

These guys are being put through one of the toughest things you can deal with mentally. Don’t underestimate the effect it can have.

It's time Essendon and James Hird made the call to sit every player affected by the SAGA out for the remainder of the year and play the kids.

Extended sick leave for these guys could only do them good, They don’t deserve what’s happening to them it’s an utter disgrace, They’ve been let down by everyone around them including the club, But now they’re caught in the middle of a witch hunt where WADA/ASADA want a scalp, They don’t want to rid the sport of drug cheats they want a reason to justify their existence and they’re being allowed to do it and that’s wrong.

Time to protect our players as best we can and letting them play isn’t doing that.

Farking stupid idea, maybe put a bit of thought in before you post. So we’ve avoided bans but now we should ban the players? FFS.

I get the sentiment, but the problem is we haven’t heard from the players, other than Jobe who admitted he wasn’t enjoying his footy and was depressed that they weren’t as good as they had expected to be this year.

I mentioned in another thread, that Jobe should maybe get away for a month or whatever, and anyone else that puts there hand up should be able to do the same. It’s a job and they are entitled to stress leave, etc, etc.

But banning our own players would probably be restraint of trade, inhibit future earnings, make it even harder for our kids to develop, cause another media sh*tstorm and make the public hate the club and it’s players and supporters even more. Don’t reckon our sponsors would be happy either.

It’s time for Hirdy to earn his keep and motivate and inspire them and get the best out of them. Being “Hirdy” just isn’t enough right now.

Personally I think we need a big cleanout, and a fresh start as thhere are too many damaged players who need to find opportunities elsewhere and looking at each other just brings back memories of all the depressing stuff.