Time Trial 2km

A reply to: @Damnation regarding QuoteLink

I hear points being made about endurance later, gets you to the contest.

You may have missed my point perhaps like Stanton, if you don’t go in hard at the start and crunch some bodies you won’t do it later with endurance either.

Running, soft football is not todays game.

Perhaps. Would be interesting to see our first quarter contested possession for and against versus our last quarter for and against.

A reply to: @brem06 regarding QuoteLink

You may have missed my point perhaps like Stanton, if you don’t go in hard at the start and crunch some bodies you won’t do it later with endurance either.

Perhaps. Would be interesting to see our first quarter contested possession for and against versus our last quarter for and against.

We fell away badly in contested possession & spread in the last 35-40 minutes of game time in multiple games last year - regardless of whether Jobe played or not.

The elimination final loss to North was our season wrapped up in one game - dominate CP & spread early only to not strongly impact the scoreboard and only have a 30-40 point lead when it should be 60-70 points (and game over). Then fall rapidly away in CP, get killed on the spread, start to turn the ball over and 3-4-5-6 goal leads become losses (or a draw).

Part of this is down to lack of depth in CP midfielders - our #1 weakness in my opinion. Heppell lifted hugely in this area whilst Jobe was out and then busted his hand just as Jobe got back so we didn’t really see them together, on song.

Part of it also was the absence of (a fit) Bellchambers and Ryder’s ruck style. Ryder is short for a ruckman and makes up for it with a prodigious leap. Problem is, he cannot maintain this for a full game against the ruck giants. He can’t jump as high and his palm outs aren’t as good. Consequently, the mids get sucked closer to the ruck contest to compensate for weaker & lesser taps and leave 1-2 of their opponents sitting on the outside with 1-2 metres of space as the opposition inside mids start winning more ball as their ruckman dominates. This seemed very obvious against North in the last 1/3 of the game. He might like to play first ruck but Ryder can’t sustain it successfully for 4 quarters. Ryder looking more dangerous up forward (as he did in Q4 in the EF) is important for his AFL longevity but it requires a fit Bellchambers to take over (something we all look forward to in 2015).

Bellchambers and Giles will form a very good combination as both are guerilla size ruckman with big bodies who also have a track record of kicking 3-4 goals (and even a bag of 5 once by Bellchambers against Port) when playing forward. [ Note: I expect Carlisle to play more CHF, pushing Ambrose out of the team, with Daniher and Giles playing deep).

A reply to: @BakerWasAStar regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @brem06 regarding QuoteLink

We fell away badly in contested possession & spread in the last 35-40 minutes of game time in multiple games last year - regardless of whether Jobe played or not.

The elimination final loss to North was our season wrapped up in one game - dominate CP & spread early only to not strongly impact the scoreboard and only have a 30-40 point lead when it should be 60-70 points (and game over). Then fall rapidly away in CP, get killed on the spread, start to turn the ball over and 3-4-5-6 goal leads become losses (or a draw).

Part of this is down to lack of depth in CP midfielders - our #1 weakness in my opinion. Heppell lifted hugely in this area whilst Jobe was out and then busted his hand just as Jobe got back so we didn’t really see them together, on song.

Part of it also was the absence of (a fit) Bellchambers and Ryder’s ruck style. Ryder is short for a ruckman and makes up for it with a prodigious leap. Problem is, he cannot maintain this for a full game against the ruck giants. He can’t jump as high and his palm outs aren’t as good. Consequently, the mids get sucked closer to the ruck contest to compensate for weaker & lesser taps and leave 1-2 of their opponents sitting on the outside with 1-2 metres of space as the opposition inside mids start winning more ball as their ruckman dominates. This seemed very obvious against North in the last 1/3 of the game. He might like to play first ruck but Ryder can’t sustain it successfully for 4 quarters. Ryder looking more dangerous up forward (as he did in Q4 in the EF) is important for his AFL longevity but it requires a fit Bellchambers to take over (something we all look forward to in 2015).

Bellchambers and Giles will form a very good combination as both are guerilla size ruckman with big bodies who also have a track record of kicking 3-4 goals (and even a bag of 5 once by Bellchambers against Port) when playing forward. [ Note: I expect Carlisle to play more CHF, pushing Ambrose out of the team, with Daniher and Giles playing deep).

Can’t say I disagree with any of that.

I’d like to hope Giles watched big Mummy closely last year and watched the way he got involved after ball ups - just smashing opposition midfielders out of the way. I think Giles will actually be really good for us. Obviously he won’t have Ryder’s impact straight away.

Also - for anyone playing at home, Bellco will cost you less than Giles in Supercoach this year…

Perhaps reading too much into an off the cuff comment?

A reply to: @Windy Dill regarding QuoteLink

Perhaps reading too much into an off the cuff comment?
That doesn't sound like Blitz.

Ah, I see. This is not about endurance, it’s about Stanton. Again.
Seriously, take this crap to big footy.

Endurance allows you to get that extra metre on an opponent late. You want your outside types to be your best endurance athletes as it means they are still providing the run late in games.

Maybe he’s embracing the outside role

By he I mean KAV!

Boo Stanton

Quoted Post

No reboot nothing about Stanton, he happened to be the one who raised a question in my mind and I then looked at the 2km trial results…it’s more about the mindset of our playing group as a whole, I’m not about player bashing, hence my question what are ppl’s thoughts.

Quoted Post

No reboot nothing about Stanton, he happened to be the one who raised a question in my mind and I then looked at the 2km trial results…it’s more about the mindset of our playing group as a whole, I’m not about player bashing, hence my question what are ppl’s thoughts.

Eat Stantons balls mate

A reply to: @berkna regarding QuoteLink

Endurance lets you get to more contests

Endurance lets you stay in the contest for longer (think 4th qtr fade outs in 2014)

Endurance is a key pillar for any position on the ground.

Strength is the foundation, everything is built from this. From the moment you can lift and rotate your big melon head as a baby, to rolling over, rocking and crawling, standing, walking and ultimately running you are building reflexive strength in the body. Everything else simply builds on this for either more physical strength (ability to lift heavy weights or how fast you can run, jump, etc) or more endurance (ability to repeat said lift of the heavy load ad infinitum, or how far you can run maintaining a speed, how many times you can jump, etc).

As we age, we lose our strength on a progressive decline unless we are do something about it, but there does comes a time when you hit that critical point where rapid and progressive decline in strength and health occurs. The stronger/healthier person will prevent this decline from happening for as long as possible.

It doesn’t matter how much endurance you have if you don’t have the strength to run or walk. You won’t go anywhere.

With everything else being equal the stronger person in the contest will always win.

A reply to: @Warlock Paul regarding QuoteLink

Endurance lets you stay in the contest for longer (think 4th qtr fade outs in 2014)

Strength is the foundation, everything is built from this. From the moment you can lift and rotate your big melon head as a baby, to rolling over, rocking and crawling, standing, walking and ultimately running you are building reflexive strength in the body. Everything else simply builds on this for either more physical strength (ability to lift heavy weights or how fast you can run, jump, etc) or more endurance (ability to repeat said lift of the heavy load ad infinitum, or how far you can run maintaining a speed, how many times you can jump, etc).

As we age, we lose our strength on a progressive decline unless we are do something about it, but there does comes a time when you hit that critical point where rapid and progressive decline in strength and health occurs. The stronger/healthier person will prevent this decline from happening for as long as possible.

It doesn’t matter how much endurance you have if you don’t have the strength to run or walk. You won’t go anywhere.

With everything else being equal the stronger person in the contest will always win.

tl;dr: balance

I’m pretty sure I agree with OP, I don’t want our players to be able to run out games.

Damnation, I think you are right theres a lot more to winning a footy match than fitness, just look at the most elite athlete at the club for 2 years : Johnny Rayner. Probably would lap all the players in a 2km time trial.

The abilities and attributes required to play footy are so many and varied , no one player has ever been elite in all of them.
Vision, agility, leap, overhead, kicking distance, kicking accuracy, goal sense, space finding, hands, avoidance skills,
power , speed, acceleration, fitness, reading play.

But there must be a sufficient aerobic fitness base in each player to be able to

1. Execute their skill set at a high rate of effort to establish a lead
  2. Sustain a rate of effort to hold onto a lead when the opposition comes back at them.
  3. Execute their skill set and combine as a group at a sustained rate to close out a game late in the final quarter.

Quoted Post

Re bold - with all else being equal, the person with any advantage will win…

A reply to: @Warlock Paul regarding QuoteLink

Agreed. I did simplify a bit.

I hope we have more endurance than ASADA.
■■■■■■ prick just wont drop off!.

Loving James Hird more meat n potato!

lf endurance isn’t so important, then why do the coaches and fitness staff insist on building players’ tanks?