Times when you were a 'Winner' or 'winning' in life

Was having a chat to my lifelong mate about some of the stuff we got away with when we were kids and it got me thinking about times when I got away with stuff and ended up being a ‘winner’ of sorts. So I thought we could post things we got away with or ended up being lucky.

I’ll kick it off with some of the stuff that I felt like a winner or winning:

• Stealing Hubba Bubba tape from Kmart and Target when they had the mixed lollies (just filled the bottom of the cups with Hubba Bubba tape and top it with mixed lollies).

• Hooking up with the hot girl next door who was in Year 11 and I was in Year 7. Her folks were at my joint while I went to get ‘Baby sat’ by her. Ended up raiding their grog and it went from there.

• Going to one of those all night movie marathons. My mate hooked up with a chick who had a boyfriend. We were lucky to make it out of the movies alive after doing a bolter and have them chase us with Trolley bars.

• Getting a Game Boy Advance when my dad nuked my Game Boy Colour in the microwave because I didn’t listen to him. I said he better not do it because it would fry the circuits, however he didn’t listen and when it didn’t work after the microwave incident, he raced off to ‘get a bloke he knows at work to lend him theirs’ and came back with a new Advanced still in the wrapping (box not included). Who was he trying to fool lol.

Mrs diggers and I scored a free upgrade from can barely see to very reasonable seats indeed at the Prince show in Perth the other day. WINNER!

Back when I was young buck i hit the winning free throws to qualify my basketball team for the finals. The following Saturday I managed to take the match-saving mark in the goal square after the coach moved me to full back as punishment for missing training.

To top it off, a few days later I hit a bullshit 3 off the inbounds near half-court to win our basketball semi and put us in the GF. I worked with one of our opponents and spent a great few weeks telling him how good a shot it was haha.

I wish I could say we won the final but we got spanked…

A mate whilst walking home one night discovered a side door open at the Oxford Hotel…

Used a coke machine and got my bottle only to discover that the machine still had the original credit displaying.

Pressed the vend button again - got another bottle. Original credit still unchanged.

Did it again. And again.

Got a mate to guard the machine while I procured empty boxes.

Emptied machine.

And that’s how you became a Coke addict, right?

Nah, no lasting effects.

They can cure diabetes these days, right?

Used a coke machine and got my bottle only to discover that the machine still had the original credit displaying.

Pressed the vend button again - got another bottle. Original credit still unchanged.

Did it again. And again.

Emptied machine.

And that’s how you became a Coke addict, right?

Did it again. And again.

Emptied machine.

We used to stick icy pole sticks up the money shute of payphones to extract loose change for more icy poles and fish and chips. Allegedly

Or down the in slot to trip the bar and get free calls.

We also used to jump the back fence to the milk bar, pinch some empty bottles,. and whip around the front to the shop and get the deposit money from them to buy lollies.

Just triggered a primary school memory. Back in the day, some will remember, the pay phones had an “A” & a “B” button. I can’t remember the sequence now, but I think it was that you had to push the B button after the call finished and it would return unused coins.

We had a route home from school that took us 3 times as long to get home, but took in every payphone in a 1 km radius.

It was amazing how many people didn’t know about pushing B or simply forgot, or didn’t care.

Sometimes that push of the B button resulted in the thing turning into a slot machine & just emptying out tons of 20c pieces.

And when 20c got enough lollies that 2 of you would get sick splitting the amount it would buy, we seriously felt like we were winning when the phones spat out.

Good days.

All my Law Tutorials are fortnightly instead of weekly. Pay attention to the weeks of the tutorials when putting in your preferences (they are week about, in 2 rotations), always choose a Wednesday or Thursday in the second week of rotations for all classes, get notes off every other mthfkr in the class.

Sorry my story can’t feasibly fit into Stand By Me starring River Phoenix and Will Wheaton but that’s all I got.

Not dodgy, creative.

Very creative: This one time, at band camp…

Not dodgy, creative.

■■■■■■ hell what a dodgy lot we are.

There was a very popular hamburger joint that we used to frequent as kids. Back in the days when these places were full of pinnies and spacies. After some experimentation with washers and bits of scrap, we worked out that if you spun a 2c piece with the right amount of pressure into the coin slot, you would earn a credit at an 18c discount. Worked a treat until some dckheads started going to the counter to exchange their 20’s into 2’s. Dom (the Sicillian shopkeep) got suspicious after a bit and did an audit on the Galaxian sit-down. When he opened the coin collector he discovered it to be overflowing with 2c pieces. He went so ape-sht it took more than a week for the dust to settle. When he calmed down he raised the price of a chip-bun from 50c to 70c to make up for the lost revenue. See what happens when d*ckheads get greedy and lazy?

We used to stick icy pole sticks up the money shute of payphones to extract loose change for more icy poles and fish and chips. Allegedly

Or down the in slot to trip the bar and get free calls.

We also used to jump the back fence to the milk bar, pinch some empty bottles,. and whip around the front to the shop and get the deposit money from them to buy lollies.

What tv show?

I won a radio comp to the 2006 GF which included accommodation and flights to and fro on a chartered jet. Cracking game too.

i won a hula hoop competition on a kids TV show in the early 80’s.

dont tell anyone.

Ok, who remembers this - instead of dialling (literally, dialling) on an old phone, you could, if you had good timing, quickly tap out the numbers on the hang-up buttons (technical name) to call a number. As a kid, i thought this circumvented charge., Not sure if it actually did, though. And lots of wrong numbers :)

Pulse dialing, when the old rotary dial phones existed, you could tap out the numbers fast like you say, (10 times for zero) Mum had a physical key lock on the phone at home. 5 boys single mum, she had to, but We hacked it. I went on to become a phone tech later in life.

Ta.
So Mr Phone Tech - please tell me I scammed the phone company and got free calls, please?

There was this other time, .. when I was in band camp ...

One time I was at music camp and we weren’t allowed water for three days, only disgusting cordial.
One time I was at music camp and we got mooned by the tenor sax player.
One time I was at music camp and the main hall where we did everything stunk like off fish.
Despite all this I actually enjoyed it. Is that “winning”?

What - no rude ending? That was building nicely!

Reminded me about the 50 cent pieces & super glue trick that used to work when the first green block payphones arrived.

Free phone calls to Qld & the GF in Darwin.'til the early morn.

Did that trick with 5c pieces in vending machines (glue a few together and it registered as a $2)

Gee there’s some ■■■■■ in here