Times when you were a 'Winner' or 'winning' in life

Ok, who remembers this - instead of dialling (literally, dialling) on an old phone, you could, if you had good timing, quickly tap out the numbers on the hang-up buttons (technical name) to call a number. As a kid, i thought this circumvented charge., Not sure if it actually did, though. And lots of wrong numbers :)

Pulse dialing, when the old rotary dial phones existed, you could tap out the numbers fast like you say, (10 times for zero) Mum had a physical key lock on the phone at home. 5 boys single mum, she had to, but We hacked it. I went on to become a phone tech later in life.

Reminded me about the 50 cent pieces & super glue trick that used to work when the first green block payphones arrived.

Free phone calls to Qld & the GF in Darwin.'til the early morn.

Did that trick with 5c pieces in vending machines (glue a few together and it registered as a $2)

When I was checked in at Cathay Pacific and they said ‘Mr Soulnet, you’ve been upgraded to Business class’. 8 1/2 hours of sheer bliss travel.

Intercontinental Strings Hotel Tokyo, ‘Mr Soulnet, we’ve upgraded you to the suite for the duration of your stay’. 270 degree views of Tokyo.

I’d always been a decent distance runner, but at the school sports in year 11 I was only in it for the look of the thing. Come on, Year 12s. Forget about it.
So I started with the tried and true method of staying with the back-markers for the first (300m) lap and see what I could do from there.
I started reeling the others in over the second lap.
Coming down the stretch in the third lap the (compulsarily) packed stands were chanting my name. I was in front at this point, but I didn’t realise it.
Over the course of the last lap I thought…holy crap…there’s no-one else in front of me.
Cruising the last 200m enjoying the applause round the turn, 50m out the crowd goes bugshit. I looked over my shoulder and there was someone there.
I sprinted to the line and won.

Teacher applauds my tactics, let the guy reach my shoulder and break his heart in the sprint.
Fact: seeing him scared the crap out of me and drove me to the line.

Not saying best day ever, but…pretty close.

When I was at Uni they hired the most attractive girl they could find at the bar. She wasn’t super smart though. Whenever you ordered a spirit she would always put it through at 40c rather than the cost of about $4.00. Im sorry to say I took advantage of that situation with extreme prejudice

When I was in the local CFA, and probably still on my L plates, we used to go and open up the station, get our uniforms on and take out the CFA 4x4. We would drive to the local bottle shop and say we were picking up beers for the brigade. theyd give them to us at half price ‘gotta support the volunteers’ then we would drop the beers at home and return the truck.

The fire station also got used to host parties after the local pub had closed, the front door was always unlocked ‘in case of emergency’ and we had a key to the beer fridge. We would drink all the beer, and then at the Tuesday night meeting we would have to get back in the trucks to go buy the cheap beer and restock the fridge again.

I suspect having two Nature papers as a postgraduate would be hard for anyone in the world to top.

You’re a naturist, AT? Had no idea.

Like the time when I was walking across the tarmac to to Jetstar plane and the pilot stuck his head out the window and said g’day to me (my neighbour). He then came down to say hi to me during the flight, that was a bit more a Larry David awkward moment tho.

Like the time when I was walking across the tarmac to to Jetstar plane and the pilot stuck his head out the window and said g'day to me (my neighbour). He then came down to say hi to me during the flight, that was a bit more a Larry David awkward moment tho.
Why are there windows that open in the cockpit?

Yeah weird, … I got a zipper in mine.

Yeah weird, .. I got a zipper in mine.

Zipper? When did they stop using buttons?

Yeah weird, .. I got a zipper in mine.

Better than getting yours caught in a zipper

Especially the ones in the old style sleeping bags, dem fcukers got serious teeth.

Source: CEBS camp at 7, rushing to get back into bed after ransacking another cabin, & the “torches” coming … almost cut the thing in half!

Especially the ones in the old style sleeping bags, dem fcukers got serious teeth.

Source: CEBS camp at 7, rushing to get back into bed after ransacking another cabin, & the “torches” coming … almost cut the thing in half!

Ransacking au naturale?
I take it you went to a boys school?

No, all boys thing though, like scouts, and although it was a religious organisation, not a nudist camp either …

Before your time, but draw string pj’s, basically with a fly like jeans, but no zip or buttons, … & even then, it was pretty hard to contain … :wink:

Like the time when I was walking across the tarmac to to Jetstar plane and the pilot stuck his head out the window and said g'day to me (my neighbour). He then came down to say hi to me during the flight, that was a bit more a Larry David awkward moment tho.

In case the internal door that leads to the cockpit gets busted. It’s the only way in or out after all.

In case the internal door that leads to the cockpit gets busted. It’s the only way in or out after all.

Is that legit?

On a over night business trip to Sydney as a young buck and got put into the Intercontinental. It was magnificent but got told later the booking clerk mixed my booking up with the MD and that I would never go to the Intercontinental ever again. They were right.

Is that legit?

From what i’ve been told yes. Imagine if there was a fire where the exit was, the pilots have another way to get out. Normally for passengers they at least have a left or right side to exit.

You wouldn’t want to have a dog in the cockpit then. Poking his head out the window, facing the breeze.

There were theories that that’s how Laika, the first dog in space, died.