Todays Players -- Playing For Bucks , Not For The Team

It was Adam White who made this statement - And it is a statement he has previously made - The comment has a degree of merit.

No it doesn’t. It’s just garbage nostalgia from 50 year olds who think everything was better when they were 19.

playing for bucks?

is that how collingwood get all their players?

Times change, stop living in the good old days.

Good old days never really existed, it is a myth. Players have always switched teams and there have been some very high profile incidents.

AFL is on the same path as NBA.

Any player would realise that they have two to three years to prove themselves before either being delisted or go elsewhere. So in order for a player to succeed, they need to be played in their most suited position where their talents can be on show and the player is continually being developed.

This is where we’ve truly marked up big time since 2000.
Kepler Bradley was never a defender, but he was forced to be one.
Ted Richards was an adequate forward who wasn’t given much of an opportunity but a better defender elsewhere.
Joel Reynolds was a forward but was continually played down back.
Jobe Watson was a midfielder (and a very tall one at that), but was continually played in the forward line early in his career.
Bachar Houli was played as a forward for memory for us in the few games he played, but he left and became an instant best 22 hackman at Richmond.
Paddy Ryder was a ruck, but spent a lot of time in the backline, before shifting forward, then succeeding in the ruck.
David Myers was played off the backline yet he excelled when he was finally given a shot in the midfield.
Hurley was a defender his whole junior career and we pushed him into playing forward.
Colyer was stuck as our forward goal sneak in the few games he got. Finally, he was given midfield time and he excelled.
Hardingham was a forward. Yet was trialled far too often as a defender and he eventually failed.
Carlisle preferred defender and obviously hated playing forward.
Ambrose is a link up forward, yet we’ve forced him into the ruck.
Steinberg was drafted as a forward yet he’s been a defender all his career.
Even our B&F winner is a defender that is definitely a better hackman than a forward.

For whatever reason, our last fifteen years of developing players has meant we have midfielders who take a lot longer than the average midfielder across the league to become established midfielders, our defenders and forwards seem to be moved all over the place.
For a team that has had such little finals success in the last decade, it amazes me how often we try and make players into something they are not.

If a club plays a player in their best position where they get the most out of themselves and it also serves the club at the same time, then the player will show loyalty to the club as long as they are middle table at least and aren’t a basket case off the field. Ultimate success isn’t what makes players stay, it’s the journey to it.

like i keep saying, it’s because the coaches across the whole era have a set 22 that they very rarely deviate from and use other players at bit pieces.
hopefully worsfold doesn’t do it, but there seems to be a theme at the club so i’m not sure if it’s purely the coaches or outside influences pressuring said coaches.

Also think some people have missed the mark on the OP. It’s not about chasing money persay, it’s about half decent footballers realising they can cruise through an afl career with a little bit of talent and not care to much about their legacy i guess.
Wasn’t that one of the things Thompson was said to have made note of when he first walked in the clubs doors ?

It’s not really surprising though that 2 players that have walked out this year lost their meal ticket coach.

Then you look at a player like dempsey, he’ll get another contract based on a lil bit of a glimpse of being able to play forward. he won’t have to live up to it once he gets said contract, he’s just gotta look half like he “could” become a consistenly good player and he’ll continue to get a contract.

But that’s the nature of the beast, when you deal on things like “potential” that can’t be proven until after the fact, you’ll always get players who can go through the motions to cash a pay check.

People are delusional regarding this topic. What do we all go to work for? Money. Football is the same thing. Have you ever considered that many of these boys might have little chance of making much money after their careers are over?

It was Adam White who made this statement - And it is a statement he has previously made - The comment has a degree of merit.

No it doesn’t. It’s just garbage nostalgia from 50 year olds who think everything was better when they were 19.

Maybe listen to the interview RSN before making ill-informed comments - The discussion was based around some players loving footy less - Treating footy as purely as a job, and therefore doing enough to play 10 years at an average of 400pa - Buying a house or two and hopefully working less after retirement.

Times change, stop living in the good old days.

Good old days never really existed, it is a myth. Players have always switched teams and there have been some very high profile incidents.

The discussion wasn’t centred around players leaving clubs - Listen to the interview.

Modern footy environments sound like an army barracks - eat this, drink this, do this, don’t do that. I can understand why it would feel more like a job than a game.

It is a job even at local levels for some.

Players in some metro and country leagues play footy as their first job getting paid up to $80,000 a season with kickbacks !

I found most of the footy players, the good ones, at my school didn’t give a stuff about supporting teams and just wanted to play footy. It was the obsessive nerds such as myself that knew tim watsons mothers maiden name and wou have killed to don the sash. Just don’t think barracked for as a kid is that prevalent anymore and it will be even less in years to come when jocks who don’t know the pointy end of a pencil realize a footy career no matter what team he’s drafted by is a means of getting themselves financially secure

Not many past players managed to set themselves up for life on the money received from footy unless they had a great manager or strict parents.

Guys like the Rocca brothers were very smart with their money from day 1, invested in property and are very wealthy, but had a honest, clever manager and a mum who looked after the boys closely. Few of the magpie and roo teammates did as well. Interesting also that thus manager got birth contracts with high performance based incentives around kicking goals which they both did well.

I don’t think the players’ mindsets have changed. The situation, the league they play in has.

Up until the 60s at least blokes would leave league footy if they got a better job elsewhere or a coaching gig in the country. Do you really think those guys would still be so loyal if offered another mill over 4 years??
Doubt it.

As long as a player gives 100% for the duration of his contract, I don't mind if he leaves for better conditions at the end of it.
You don't mind? What a softc*ck attitude. If someone quits on us, then they can go f*ck themselves. Screw you, pencil neck.
I found most of the footy players, the good ones, at my school didn't give a stuff about supporting teams and just wanted to play footy. It was the obsessive nerds such as myself that knew tim watsons mothers maiden name and wou have killed to don the sash. Just don't think barracked for as a kid is that prevalent anymore and it will be even less in years to come when jocks who don't know the pointy end of a pencil realize a footy career no matter what team he's drafted by is a means of getting themselves financially secure

your school did not have any good players.

Nothing much has changed. Players always went after the money.

Remembering Barry Davis

Just as upset as any about BD but many people unaware that he played as an amateur for his first few years. Don’t know why but was told by Russell Blew that was a fact. John Rantall said on Coodabeens that he went from 30 quid a game to 20,000 pa at North.

I found most of the footy players, the good ones, at my school didn't give a stuff about supporting teams and just wanted to play footy. It was the obsessive nerds such as myself that knew tim watsons mothers maiden name and wou have killed to don the sash. Just don't think barracked for as a kid is that prevalent anymore and it will be even less in years to come when jocks who don't know the pointy end of a pencil realize a footy career no matter what team he's drafted by is a means of getting themselves financially secure

your school did not have any good players.

Still touched up your mob. That doesn’t sound right does it

He’s Tasmanian. Comes with the territory.

So am I but we’re that inbred we laugh at anything. Hyuk, hyuk, dueling banjos etc

afl and club administrations appear to be driven by money, in bed with betting agencies, submit to tv station requests, so why wouldn’t the players head down the $$$$ path. ■■■■ it, i would.

Didn’t Barry Young leave in '99 for cash? (Good call Btw Bazz) there are many, many others. I’m not sure this is a new thing or a worse problem.

It’s just that we’re really sh*t at the moment, so we pay more attention to this sort of stuff.

I bet Hawthorn supporters aren’t lamenting the state of the game.