Tom Rockliff

Disagree. He is quite versatile, including doing some very good shutdown jobs after returning from injury.

1 Like

I actually think generally he is underrated. Out of sight, out of mind. If he played in a team with more talent I think he would be even better.

13 Likes

He is what we need strong inside mid.
He has a baby now so should be less of a party boy.
Has less leadership responsibilities.
Might be nice to have a bit of a joker in the group with Kelly gone.
His game is probably undervalued because he plays north of the border.

1 Like

You also have to keep in mind that he is injury prone. As the coach of a fantasy football team, I know this all too well.

7 Likes

Is a day younger than Zaharakis, and we just gave him 4 years.

Maybe being an Essendon supporter has skewed my definition of injury prone, but 20, 17, 16, 18, 21 games over the last 5 years doesnā€™t really bother me.

12 Likes

Stats would suggest that heā€™s actually recovery-prone.

7 Likes

Give him the 4 years and enough cash to turn his head

Is a massively underrated player in the comp

1 Like

Can go forward and kick goals too.

3 Likes

Pretty sure the year he played 16 games was when he broke his ribs in round 1. Missed a few there (and came back too early)

Quoted for relevance, from the Stringer thread.

If he is interested in coming back to VIC surely we would be all over him, would improve the midfield immensely, he is injury prone though.

Legitmate question: why hasnā€™t there been talk of us linked to Rockliff? Is there something happening behind the scenes?

-Free agent: check
-Reasonable age and price: check
-Clearance mid who can go fwd and kick goals: check

He is exactly what we need. Would be pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off if another VIC club lands him.

2 Likes

We are coming in late

4 Likes

Hope we are going hard at this bloke would not hesitate on a 4 year deal is a seriously good player and exactly what we need.

2 Likes

Is this factual?

No that is a sarcastic response to Bombers08ā€™s question.

1 Like

You just know itā€™ll be factual though :joy:

Canā€™t believe people are raising these type of issues with Rockliff.

Injury prone - he has miss 22 games in the last 8 seasons - average of 2.75 games missed per year. Not an issue.
No defensive side to his game - career average of 5.86 tackles per match - Zac Merrett was our number tackler this season with 5.55 per match. Additionally Rockliff played lockdown roles for most of last third of the season. During this period his standout match coming when he kept Bryce Gibbs to 8 touches who averaged 26.8 disposals per match this season.
Age - his age means we canā€™t give him a 4 year deal - we just did this to Zaharakis who is one day older than Rockliff.
Leadership - he was good enough to get the captainā€™s role at Brisbane - no doubt he learnt plenty from this experience and with his increased maturity he will be able to add further leadership to our group.

20 Likes

Flog Barrett is reporting on the footy show that Carlton have entered the race for Rockliff. No word about Essendon.

barrett can eatafarkindick

(you listening, barret?)

3 Likes