Tom Rockliff

He’s too old, we need to employ only 16 year olds, simples.

4 Likes

If you know this is true then that’s a very positive turnaround on what the scuttlebutt was - he was a complete ■■■■ who split the team down the middle with his arrogance and loved getting on the sauce, had no respect for Leppitsch etc.

1 Like

If I was Rocky weighing up all my options I would think we would be the perfect fit.

-finals chance - yes
-midfield spot available - yes
-cap space - available
-big games - the biggest outside of finals
-training facilities - best in comp

Not sure what else he would want!

7 Likes

Where do our List Management think we are at? Do we need to strip it back and rebuild, or do we have the core of a good side and need 2-3 quality players to push into the top 4? If it’s the latter, he has to be one we go after. As redbull mentioned above, there wouldn’t much he’d want for if he came across to us. If we can get Rocky via FA, get Stringer with Pick 11 and use our 2018 1st rounder to get someone else on board, be it Gaff or whoever else might be on the market, that’s a decent trade/FA period.

3 Likes

We haven’t been linked to him once. He’ll choose the blues over us, which says something

1 Like

It suggests that the club doesn’t rate him.

If we had been linked to him and he chose the blues over us, it would suggest SOS is a better saleman than Dodoro.

What does it suggest?

If we don’t go for him, one of the best clearance players in the game, with our midfield deficiencies, especially inside, who comes as a free agent so essentially we don’t have to give up anything, there needs to be questions asked about the staffs sanity

He’s a great fit for us

14 Likes

There’s even less reason why a club like Carlton and where they’re at would even entertain getting him. Poor fit for me, than again I read somewhere that Dale Thomas was going to sign a one-year extension…

3 Likes

Replacement for Gibbs?

Or maybe that the club doesn’t rate him as highly as you do. I don’t rate him that highly either.

I’d love Rocky the player.

But it seems obvious there are serious question marks on his character.

He may not fit the “Essendon type” requirements.

Flame away lol.

“Yeah look we looked at tom, and despite him being one of the best clearance players around and one of the best inside midfielders in the game who was going to Cost us absolutely nothing bar a contract, we’re trusting our process and development of Langford, begley etc. benny howlett is also there too who’s primed for a big pre season. We really feel the draft and develop method is finally starting to turn the corner after 13 years of not winning a final”

10 Likes

Okay, even if I’m over rating him even a little, name a better inside clearance player at Essendon

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but we weren’t linked to Goddard at all prior to him joining as a free agent. Maybe Adrian’s jackets don’t leak and we deliberately keeping everyone out of the loop.

So I hope anyway!

1 Like

What are the questions on his character? That he was part of a sinking/burning ship as a captain? Well he won’t be skipper of our club. Also the way he got on with playing footy this year after losing this captaincy is a sign of maturity. Off field he also has stability after becoming a father.

So unless he is doing something else I don’t see his character as a risk in the slightest.

I remember us being linked pretty strongly to Goddard, externally and also by @fogdog I thought. Prepared to be completely wrong though.

3 Likes

I might be having selective hopeful memory.

Pretty sure it was all very late in the piece though. ie. only a week or less before it ended up happening

1 Like

I don’t think Goddard knew he was leaving until relatively late in the piece.