Tom Rockliff

“Not in our sights” is Essington speak for “doesn’t come from a good family”

1 Like

Even as a DFA he is not someone we should be pursuing. We say Rockliff isn’t in our age bracket then turn around and chase an older player in a position which we are well covered. Doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

Dont underestimate the value of Crameri back to full fitness, as a DFA and costing fk all.

4 Likes

I don’t see how anyone can say we are well covered for strong bodied marking targets.

We lost Hooker final game & realistically only had available - Smack, who still wasn’t selected as he is average. Brown was inj but not a contested type player. Francis does not have any proven high level footy at AFL yet.

I’m concerned about his injury woes but as a DFA with a proven AFL record clearly would be in recruiters thoughts at worst just for solid depth.

2 Likes

Crameri isn’t a key forward. He’s a mid sized forward who doesn’t add defensive pressure. If we want a mid size forward it has to be Stringer. Crameri would be a very backwards move.

As for Rockliff that is filling a specific need with a high quality player.

You’d pick him up just to keep Dusty in check, wouldn’t you?

1 Like

Naaa we should just ignore that ever happened, and ever had an effect on the club, listen to the media, it actually did our list a favour. Anyone who thinks these things are truely clueless. It really annoys me how some especially the media don’t mention the devastating impact that the saga has had, and where we could be today if the conspiracy had never happened.

Rocky must be happy at the lions or want to much coin. Nothing to do with age, that’s just a line to keep us looking attractive.

In the same sentence we acknowledge interest in Ablett, whose even older.

Keeping powder dry to have a serious swing at anyone else on the table.

Any blame game over the saga has to have the club front and centre.

So we dont want Rocky cause we are chasing Schache.
still doesnt fix our midfield though.

Why tho?

If he’s not making it in the doggies forward line he’s not going to make it in ours. That and he’s already turned his back on the club before.

1 Like

We seem to put all our eggs in one basket. We ought to shop around like the player’s managers do.

Dodoro said:

“Tom’s a really good player. He probably doesn’t fit our demographic for where we’re going as a club. We probably identify guys who are 22 or 23 years of age to go with our current group of younger players who we’ve got,” Dodoro said.
“He’s a very good player but he’s probably not in our sights.”

Yet we “asked the question” about Ablett.
I’m already getting frustrated and the Trade Period hasn’t even started yet.

I’m not interested in Cram unless it’s for nothing and depth, but I always thought he was pretty manic when the ball hit the deck, much more of a threat than our other forwards with second efforts etc. This is in regards to him not being a defensive pressure forward

Hes an imsanely talented player but we need to put a lid on recruiting more midgets

Won’t pursue or have any interest a 28 year old Rockliff, who comes for nothing, in area we severely struggle, but we might think about a Crameri, who’s older, in a position we have a number of options, who’s missed 2 years of footy

If that ended up happening, it’d be the worst list management I’ve ever seen, perhaps all time

10 Likes

If we take Crameri I can’t imagine it’s for much more than rookie dollars, and would involve a fair bit of saga guilt, given that otherwise his career was practically ended by dank.

Rookie dollars vs 1mill/year is a pretty big difference, and probably makes a difference to what we can get done elsewhere.

As for asking about Ablett, I imagine there’s 2 questions. Is he interested? If he is the second question is Are GCS prepared to cover salary/call space? If the answer to either is no, then we move on, but if they were both yes, then you have to think about what it would take to get him. He’s many levels better than Rockliff as a footballer.

4 Likes

Frosty,

Please refrain from making reasonable hypothesise.

I’m enjoying the panic dollars being thrown everywhere.

5 Likes

Picking up a 28 yo on 800k for 4 years is not comparable to picking up another older player on 250k for 1 year.

1 Like

It’s clear the instructions from Worsfold is ‘stay clear of pure inside midfielders, that don’t offer any outside run’.

The way they’ve treated Craig Bird suggests this.

2 Likes