Top 'Breakout' Contenders for 2019

Judd and Robert Harvey are probably in the best 6 mids I have ever seen. Both lacked penetration.

If you win the ball enough and create enough then you can overcome that.

McGrath has a 360 degree game. He actually will bend the game to his will in time. When he is 23 he will dictate the terms of matches.

9 Likes

Purely looking at players outside of this year’s best 22, My pick would be Jordan Ridley. Has all the attributes to be a top quality defender. Tall, fast, reads the ball well, and most importantly seems to be a hard worker who wants to get better. Needs to add a bit more strength and tidy up his disposal, but looks a very good prospect.

Of the best 22 players, I’d pick Andy McGrath. Should improve on his contested ball winning ability and use his pace a bit more to break the game open. I’m predicting Pidge to have a monster year and really impact games in 2019.

5 Likes

Andy makes up for the lack of distance on his kick with his pace, and ability to take 10-15 metres before delivering the ball. He doesn’t turn it over by foot either, which is a feature of elite mids.

3 Likes

Handball mate,elite.

2 Likes

Too hard to pick but I think it will defintely be a mid.

Are you an umpire?

3 Likes

Robert Harvey’s not the worst comparison I’ve ever heard. Both have a devastating change of direction, love to involve a team-mate in a give and go, and huge hearts for the contest.

4 Likes

McGrath is easily one that could significantly improve next year. He’s very much like Parish in that he has lacked some opportunity to get a consistent run in the guts. I think he will still have a more outside role again next year but he is a definitely shaping up as an elite mid.

1 Like

When the ball hits the ground
And the crowd makes a good sound
That’s laverde

4 Likes

Stringer. By miles.
Sky is the limit when his fitness gets there. Literally could be the most damaging player in the comp.
And the fitness seems to be getting close.

10 Likes

If we are going for the “most improved” award, it simply has to be joe, maybe Myers to go back to back

Ridley Redman,Francis, Gueilfi

Gleeson.

1 Like

Guelfi would surprise me.

1 Like

Zerk-Thatcher. Will be the best defender in the comp in 3 years.

5 Likes

Francis playing midfield or forward in 3 years?

2 Likes

Smack

with his unusual blend of freakish brilliance he could explode with JD, Stringer and our little fellas around him.

Next year our forward line will “breakout”

2 Likes

All of the player.

7 Likes

Francis, McGrath, Parish, Begley and Langford all in the one year!

When are Hurley/Hooker contracted until? Although it’s a good problem to have, if Zerk starts tearing it up this year and we want he and Francis to become the back half of our spine, it’ll be interesting what we can do if Hurley/Hooker still have 3 years to go on their contracts. Didn’t they each get 5 years end of 2016?