Top Ten Essendon Field Kicks

Found it:

2 Likes

Thought you meant of the current list so i was going to come in and make a joke about our side not even having ten good field kicks.

In recent times my favourite was Winderlich, when he had the ball in hand you could look up the field to see where the best option was because you knew he would make it.

1 Like

Bernie Jones was right up, or down there with Leek.

2 Likes

Premiership ruckman Bernie Jones, you mean!

Wish he’d played with budgie - that would have been the odd couple.

don’t get the McKenna love. he’s a very good kick when he wants to be, but I think he’s very inconsistent with it. he has some absolute howlers at times

1 Like

I loved how Hird would kick to where the guy should have been moving. It was like … “get over there you fool”.

Merc and Fletch were superb. Lesser known players who could really hit a target - Ben Haynes and Lachie Dalgliesh. Going back a bit, Hawker was a ripper, Neville Fields one of the best, and so (I seem to recall) was a guy called Stephen Robins. Oh, and Daisy Williams.

2 Likes

McVeigh had his moments from memory.

McGie must have been amazing to watch

I thought Fletcher could roost a ball

1 Like

Ben McNiece. Sure it was a short career but his worm burners in the VFL were a joy to behold.

I was sure after the your first sentence, this was going to be one of those funny rhymes.

I was very disappointed!

1 Like

In my time, probably Mercuri, Rioli and Tippa are the ones that stand out.

Just beautiful low, perfectly spun and weighted kicks to perfect advantage. McVeigh was also a great kick, as was Lloyd when he got the chance.

Hird was a funny one - his kicks used to find their target the vast majority of the time, but they could often come off the boot a bit funny and float / spin through the air in an unusual fashion - does anybody else remember this about him?

I have great memories of Nifty Neville Fields left foot bullets in the 70s. I remember one day at Windy Hill he had a shot for goal at the grandstand end, wrong-foot on the Boundary, by the Boundary line scoreboard. A long way out. Lou Richards went ballistic in the call saying “he’ll never kick it, he’ll never kick it” … but he did - it was awesome!!

3 Likes

3:03 in this clip Hirdy Vs Freo is the best kick I have ever seen.

7 Likes

Absolutely. Didn’t miss a target often, but not always the most elegant of flight paths!

2 Likes

Outside 50, long shot on goal, Lucas.
Watching him wheel on to the left foot and go ban and then watch the ball sail right through the hi diddle diddle almost goal high was one of the great sights in all of EFC history.

3 Likes

Yeah I love this kick, amazing

1 Like

Classic Jetta. Imagine being a half forward and never deciding to kick the goal.

Saw the start of this post and thought it was going to be a limerick. Disappointing.

Francis to Bellchambers last quarter against Sydney in 2018. No one saw the kick coming and the crowd gasped.

Daniher to Heppell third quarter against Hawthorn round one 2017. Allowed Hepp to do his hair.

2 Likes