Top Ten Favourite Live Albums

The Death of a Dictionary Mental Jewelry Throwing Copper Secret Samadhi The Distance to Here V Birds of Pray Songs from Black Mountain The Turn Awake: The Best of Live

I so thought about doing this…

I broke my first cassette of Stop Making Sense by over-playing it. Loved that album. I didn’t know it at the time but it was the highlight of the band’s career. The live versions they played weren’t as edgy as the studio versions but they weren’t a sell out to gain a broader audience either. It seemed like a natural progression as they grew as artists and musicians. I didn’t like the direction they took post SMS and although there were hints of things to come on SMS, it was a perfect album released at the perfect time.

Ones I’ll chuck in are :

• Daft Punk, Alive 2007.
  • Dropkick Murphy’s, Live on St. Patrick’s day.

David Bowie - David Live
Cold Chisel - Swingshift
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Robbie Williams - Live at the Albert
Led Zeppelin – The Song Remains The Same

Edit: Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live Alive

Edit 2: Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs and Englishmen

Not the hugest fan of live albums, Most of my top 10 already mentioned but id add,

The Who: Live at leeds
Jimmi Hendrix: Isle of wight
Jimmi Hendrix: woodstock, hell the entire woodstock live album is great
Johnny Cash: at Fulsom Prison

The Death of a Dictionary Mental Jewelry Throwing Copper Secret Samadhi The Distance to Here V Birds of Pray Songs from Black Mountain The Turn Awake: The Best of Live

There’s thinking about it, and then there’s going to Wikipedia and reading about some band you haven’t thought about for 20 years. That’s how committed I was to the bit

There’s thinking about it, and then there’s going to Wikipedia and reading about some band you haven’t thought about for 20 years. That’s how committed I was to the bit

I was just gonna go:

"Throwing Copper… "

And leave it at that. Kudos on your effort.

I was just gonna go:

"Throwing Copper… "

And leave it at that. Kudos on your effort.

Is that the Dolphins cry album? I thought that ■■■■ was the jam when I was 15 (I was extremely wrong)

I strongly considered this also, and would have got in first, but I had grave doubts that the band “Live” had 10 Studio albums.
I thought maybe 6 or 7…so

Anyway, well done :smiley:

Agree with quite a few of the above, including:

Get Your Ya-Ya’s Out - The Stones
Stop Making Sense - TH
Under a Blood Red Sky - U2
Best of Both Worlds

I’d add Stevie Ray Vaughan Live at Carnegie Hall

While not an entirely ‘live’ album as such, Frank Zappa’s Sheik Yerbouti was produced with numerous live recordings and later studio overdubs. The final track, Yo Mama, is one of my all time favourite pieces of music.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds ‘Live Seeds’ is very good.

Agree with quite a few of the above, including:

Get Your Ya-Ya’s Out - The Stones
Stop Making Sense - TH
Under a Blood Red Sky - U2
Best of Both Worlds

I’d add Stevie Ray Vaughan Live at Carnegie Hall

While not an entirely ‘live’ album as such, Frank Zappa’s Sheik Yerbouti was produced with numerous live recordings and later studio overdubs. The final track, Yo Mama, is one of my all time favourite pieces of music.

Jesus! How could I have forgotten Stevie Ray. Thanks Cyber, I’ll have to go back and edit my list.

A few extra random ones I like

Doors - absolutely live
Chris Wilson live at the continental
Van Morrison it’s too late to stop now
Tom Waits - nighthawks at the diner
Yes - Yessongs
801 live
Keith Jarrett - the koln concert
Friday night in San Francisco - johnny McLaughlin, al di meola and paco de Lucia.

A couple more for your consideration:

The Ramones - It’s Alive
B. B. King - Live at The Regal

Nothing, however, could top the greatest live album of all time by the greatest rock & roll band in the word at the very peak of their game:

The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out.

A few extra random ones I like

Doors - absolutely live
Chris Wilson live at the continental
Van Morrison it’s too late to stop now
Tom Waits - nighthawks at the diner
Yes - Yessongs
801 live
Keith Jarrett - the koln concert
Friday night in San Francisco - johnny McLaughlin, al di meola and paco de Lucia.

Fark me, 801 Live. Have not heard that for probably 35 years.
Baby’s on Fire, Diamond Head … some great stuff on that.

Agree with get yer ya ya’s out. Doesn’t get better.

Without more than a few moments thought…

Metallica - S&M
Daft Punk - Alive 2007
Foo Fighters - Skin & Bones
Hunters & Collectors - Under One Roof
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
Neil Diamond - Hot August Night
Muse - Haarp

…need some more time to come up with the last three

Boot, how could you not include Lou Reed, Rock ‘n’ Roll Aimal?

Did you forget it, or did l miss it?

Boot, how could you not include Lou Reed, Rock 'n' Roll Aimal?

Did you forget it, or did l miss it?

CJ, that was an instant, in 30 seconds, off the top of the head thing. I missed heaps.

Its a tough one, so many good live albums. Ones that come immediately to mind:

the song remains the same - Zeppelin
exit stage left - Rush
live and dangerous - Thin lizzy
one night at budokan - MSG
unleashed in the east - Judas Priest
made in japan - Deep purple
five man accoustical jam - Tesla
world wide live - Scorpions
live speed on ice - Talas
live at wembley- Alterbridge