Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

Don’t think they count this years first as a loss as they would have had to use it on Quaynor anyway

2 Likes

Easily the best gif today.

1 Like

The highlighted all have one thing in common

10 Likes

Some of the commentary has been baffling. I am confident that had the AFL not been doing the live telecast thing… this deal would have been done with far less fuss earlier in the trade period. I don’t think it was by sheer chance that two of the ‘biggest’ trades happened in the last 20 minutes and happened to involve the two biggest clubs in Vic. Stage Managed to the Max.

As to the trade, my gut reaction was that it was about right but so many seem to think we paid overs. I find that might be more the chronic over valuing of draft picks rather than reality. Shiel is a proven gun. A jet who is about to hit the five ‘prime’ years for midfielders… 25-30 with 100 games under his belt. Shiel instantly improves this side dramatically. First he is a gun midfielder which we needed… and that will help Parish, McGrath, Heppell and Zerrett. Second he is (by all accounts) a true professional in his approach… this will again help all the youth blokes continue to establish that good culture and training habits. Helps offset the loss of Goddard with regards to standards etc etc. Third he is good friends with Smith and will be keen to make just as much ‘impact’ next year. Fourth - he was one of the top 3 “big fish” of this trade period and contracted… and we landed him. Kudos to all involved.

So for me there is zero downside to recruiting him. Then I look at the trade itself.
We gave Pick 9 this year… that was always a given. I don’t think anyone would dispute that Shiel is worth a top 10 pick… he would have been worth a top 5 pick if we had one.

Then the second part… which is essentially swapping our first next year for their second. If we assume that we finish top 4 (which would be the minimum goal I think) then that will be Pick, say, 15. With GWS having lost several players… then you can imagine that a finish in 6-12th range isn’t out of the realm of possibility. So that would equate to a second round pick of say, 24ish.

That means that we have acquired Shiel for the equivalent of 9 + a 10 pick downgrade next year. I think that is a fair price… and one I fully support. I think he is the ‘missing piece’ we have needed and I just can’t wait to see him in action. I actually am still in a little bit of shock he will be playing for EFC… ■■■■■■ exciting!

23 Likes

Mate, I would do it if my phone was on 95%.
He has stolen enough oxygen over the years.

5 Likes

To all those saying we paid overs for Shiel, remember that he took unders to the tune of 2 - 3 mil to play at Essendon. That is a massive saving on our TPP over the coming years. Him nominating EFC is also a massive vote of confidence in the club and the playing group. We paid market value for him, but we picked up a real gem.

Pies gained another classy midfielder, adding to an area of the field that is already their strong suit, but did nothing to address their KPP deficiencies. They must be hoping young Darcy Moore comes good, because teams will be putting in a lot more defensive work on Mason Cox next season, now that WCE has shown how to limit his damage.

19 Likes

Spot on with what you are saying about Dylan. He knocked back massive offers so he can DON THE SASH. Says alot about him and how lucky we are to have him at the club

1 Like

It’s still the biggest - and longest - contract the club has ever given. The fact that some pissant clubs were throwing millions at a guy who was essentially the Giants 3-4th best midfielder, doesn’t mean we haven’t invested very heavily here.

I’m sure he’ll deliver, and then what we paid won’t matter one iota.

3 Likes

Just thought I would make it easier for 2019 to know who we are targeting.

2019 Trade Targets

S
Saad, Adam
Salem, Christian
Sandilands, Aaron
Savage, Shane
Schache, Josh
Scharenberg, Matthew
Scheer, Brad
Schoenfeld, Joshua
Schoenmakers, Ryan
Schofield, Will
Schumacher, Angus
Scrimshaw, Jack
Scully, Tom
Seedsman, Paul
Selwood, Joel
Selwood, Scott
Setterfield, Will
Sexton, Alex
Shaw, Heath
Sheed, Dominic
Sheppard, Bradley
Sheridan, Thomas
Shiel, Dylan
Shiels, Liam
Shipley, Nicholas
Short, Jayden
Shuey, Luke
Sicily, James
Sidebottom, Steele
Sier, Brayden
Signorello, Matthew
Silvagni, Jack
Simpkin, Jy
Simpson, Dawson
Simpson, Kade
Simpson, Sam Sinclair, Callum
Sinclair, Jack
Skinner, Sam
Sloane, Rory
Smith, Archie
Smith, Brodie
Smith, Devon
Smith, Isaac
Smith, Joel
Smith, Josh
Smith, Nick
Smith, Roarke
Smith, Tim
Smith, Zac
Snelling, Will
Soldo, Ivan
Spargo, Charlie
Sproule, Zachary
Stanley, Rhys
Starcevich, Brandon
Steele, Jack
Stein, Jake
Stengle, Tyson
Stephenson, Jaidyn
Steven, Jack
Stewart, James
Stewart, Thomas
Stoddart, Ryley
Stratton, Benjamin
Stretch, Billy
Stringer, Jake
Strnadica, Luke
Suckling, Matthew
Sutcliffe, Cameron
Swallow, David
Switkowski, Sam

36 Likes

Lots of talk about us blinking and paying overs for Shiel, meanwhile Collingwood sold the farm to get Beams who is looking more and more like a ■■■■ teammate.

2 Likes

Fark Collingwood.

Can’t wait to bury them on Anzac Day.

Just wanted to hear you say it again… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Didn’t Port move up the draft in front of Adelaide?

Why are we targeting Saad and Devon Smith and Stringer again? Did we get rid of them? Seems like our good work from last year is now undone

1 Like

And honestly, Collingwood sold the farm to address a need that was already sorted. Their midfield was already their strongest attribute. Much like with Geelong and Ablett, everyone thought they’d be scary this year after adding him into a very strong midfield. It doesn’t help if have an issue with your book ends.

Yes we paid a bit more (draft pick wise) but we addressed our most immediate need. And if we finish well on the ladder next year, it won’t be such a big deal.

Kudos to the posters that mentioned previously GWS getting rid of Scully meant they weren’t desperate to lose Shiel anymore, they picked up on that very early on. We’re just lucky that Shiel was strong in wanting to get to us.

7 Likes

Thrilled to land shiel.

Credit to Adrian and the team. I’m a little disappointed with how much we had to give but was pleased we were able to get something back - (would have preferred pick 19 or Carlton r2 next year).

Hopefully we can turn those 2 r2 picks next year into a r1 selection otherwise we won’t have had a r1 pick for 3 years, which is not the way we operate.

Anyway we have added a classy inside outside mid at the peak of his powers.

5 Likes

I don’t usually want Port players to succeed but how good would it be if Ryan Burton refinds his 2017 form and Wingard stagnates or goes backwards! All this media fanboy love for Hawks trade period is sickening.

18 Likes

Is that STEW in the background

3 Likes

Exactly what I noticed.

If Shiel finds his All Aus form then we got a bargain. I don’t rate him as absolute elite (hopefully he does become) but it’s effectively 1.5 round 1 picks for a proven top notch Mid. We’ve burnt a hell of a lot of picks over the years trying to find someone of even Shiels average year form, let alone his best.

Zerrett, Shiel, Zaha, Smith, Parish, Stringer, Fanta, Langers, Hep, McGrath, Laverde. That’s a very very promising midfield rotation.

9 Likes