Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

Our team is loaded with first round picks. I have no issue with us giving up 3 in the last two seasons to bring in Saad, Smith, Stringer and Shiel. All in their mid 20s and yet to hit their peaks. Our team is that much stronger for making those trades.

1 Like

If Im not mistaken we cant trade out our 2020 first rounder next year if we wanted as we’d then fail the ‘take 2 first rounders in any 4 year period’ rule assuming we dont get a first rounder back in.

Dare i suggest that likely means any success we’re looking to have will come from the direct list we have now.

Talent is now assembled, pretty exciting quite frankly. Filled our most pressing need and really now getting Joe back to full fitness needs to be the priority and then hit 2019 hard.

I can probably say for the first time in years i have genuinely big expectations of us next year. With a bit of luck on injuries why not us for 2019???

2 Likes

Do we know that it’s not Carltons future second?

I have woken up this morning with an empty feeling. I miss trade period already!

4 Likes

Yes. It is not.

Ahh you don’t see the bigger strategy

Clearly we will trade with ourselves & Dodoro will clearly win the day again

3 cheers for Dodoro Hurrah!

1 Like

I disagree. Shiel is elite.

Dev smith just came to our club and won the BandF. He was a guy who couldnt get midfield minutes at gws because of guys like shiel.

Think you will be very very happy watching Shiel next year. Clearance machine, touch of speed, elite disposal, great vision and classy finisher around goals. A complete A grade midfielder. He will be top 3 at the club next year easily.

17 Likes

We can still get FA’s next year. Cant trade for a young gun like we have the last two years, but nothing stopping us picking up an older FA gun next year.

2 Likes

if they just knew…a few years later

1 Like

We don’t have the cap space now though. As such, it is imperative that this list take us well into the finals. If players do not see us as a premiership contender, then we won’t be bringing in too many players from outside.

Still plenty of options to recruit though. Plenty of blokes moved with 3rd or 4th round draft picks. You just aren’t getting access to the low risk, guaranteed good players.

So who has the list of next year’s free agents?

Im very happy with the amount of bites i got from my 2MP rumor. Mate of mine i mentioned earlier who still has contacts at the suns reckons it got there and that trade radio contact them and the suns said in no uncertain teams to ■■■■ off :smiley:

40 Likes

Some of this is true. Some of it you put a bit of mayo on.
He is an A Grader. He is an elite clearance player. He is classy in traffic and has pace/explosiveness from congestion.
He is good enough by foot but not elite and could definitely hit the scoreboard more. These are the two areas that set apart the likes of Dusty, Kelly, et al.

Still worth what we paid but just ease back on the mayo there champ.

2 Likes

Surely freo were the big winners in this trade period, actually last year they were too with that weller trade. I would have them followed by melbourne and hawthorn, we are a decent way back IMO but last year was an A+

I’d have Port much better than a D.
Wingard is quality, but they have a lot of figjam mids and I don’t think they’ll miss him overly much.
Burton fills a real need and they got picks as well.

3 Likes

I’d be optimistic that we can bring out the best footy in Shiel, and he has shown flashes of good delivery by foot. Similar to Myers in some ways though that majority of touches are coming out of traffic where the impetus is to move the ball on without necessarily having time and space to spot up targets. He will make like easier for everyone else in our midfield, which will improve our efficiency as guys like Merrett will have more space.

1 Like

Port seem to have said “what we are doing is t really working” and have decided to hit a quick rebuild. Short term pain, but if they nail this draft they will be better for longer I think.

Probably all came about because they knew they were losing polec, who they couldn’t cover

Agreed. They obviously saw things in Chad Wingard that suggested he wouldn’t get the most out of himself at that football club. To turn that into the picks they got, plus Burton, plus Lycett is a decent haul. Probably just doesn’t put them closer to a flag.

5, 10, 15, Burton, Mayes, Lycett.

I think they’ve done better than average.

12 Likes

hmmm… really?