Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

I call bullshit on this conspiracy theory.

It grew over the last few days where all the big trades were ‘ordered’ to wait until prime time. They all went in a flurry earlier in the afternoon.

As every other trade period, there is a lot left to the final day and the bulk of the trades occur in the final hour or so. That’ll never change.

Oh…
And as for the conspiracy that the AFL order the two biggest clubs to leave their deals to last…
It’s rubbish.
Yes, both teams were willing to pay what GWS and Brisbane were demanding, but they were hoping they’d catch them panicking as it came to the last 10 minutes.

The conspiracy theories were enjoyable though.
I’m surprised no one linked the forum failing to an AFL directive so that viewers were forced to go to AFL media.

5 Likes

Clueless fool and 100 % pure muppet.

10 Likes

It did cross my mind that they may have run a hacking campaign to overload the server.

I get desperate thoughts when Blitzdown happens.

2 Likes

What would have been even better would have been to address him as jackets

I had serious buffering problems like some draft days of ye olde, did anyone else?

1 Like

Yeah when it was announced that Shiel chose us the site went into meltdown. Took me about 1 hour to get back on to blitz. There were other times when it was constantly buffering. I suppose that’s what happens when the biggest fish on the market wants to come to the biggest and best club in the country. :wink::+1:

1 Like

Probably simpler to ask who didn’t have buffering issues.
Blitz delivered what was clearly a worst-on-ground performance yesterday. Clearly not a big-game player…

1 Like

I was not referring to Blitz though I had plenty of outages on it, more about the AFL app. I would get up to 30 seconds and then it would buffer and/or have an error.

I have not seen anyone else expressing that they had issues with the AFL site or app.

That is harsh.

I’d just pull the power out because it was Barrett - no other reason required

2 Likes

I would pull the plug on him, then take out the whole city grid just to be doubly sure

8 Likes

Heh. Well I haven’t heard anything good about him, ever really. If you ever meet him, just dislike him instantly. It saves time.

Yep - he’s a shitstain on shit_itself

1 Like

Having a friend who is was an official at a football club (not Essendon), he actually said the most arrogant guy he has met in football circles is Doc Peter Larkins. Didn’t give anyone the time of day if you weren’t a name. Wasn’t a fan of Caro either, to put it mildly.

6 Likes

For me, both BBlitz and the AFaiL site went down for the count, for about half an hour. I expected it from BBlitz, but not from the AFaiL’s own site.

1 Like

Hrmmm I didn’t say that the AFL ordered two of the biggest clubs to leave their deals till last, but I do think the broadcaster played some part in ensuring there were enough deals leftover for their extended prime time slot. It might be bullshit, but I think it is fanciful to think that GWS and Essendon didn’t discuss the Shiel trade before Wednesday. Both clubs would have had an idea of eachothers position. The idea that AD, Connors, and D’Orazio just rolled up at 2pm on the Wednesday expecting a deal to occur doesn’t seem right. A Connors client doesn’t just nominate their club of choice without some sort of assurance (not guarantee) that the trade will get done.

5 Likes

Now it’s the media pushing these deals late?
GWS and Ess were discussing trade offers since Shiel nominated us. We were only offering to trade a 1st and a 2nd round. GWS wanted two 1st rounds.
At the time, I have no doubt we were willing to trade two 1st rounders but we had time on our hands and we’re banking on GWS getting desperate because their other trades were falling over and their salary cap problems weren’t getting any better.
I also have no doubt that GWS would have made the trade if they couldn’t get their other trades done.
The deal was going to be done one way or another, it’s just a matter of who was willing to blink first. Both teams knew they still had time.

Once the Scully trade was done and then the Lobbe one, GWS had done enough to clear their salary cap problems and didn’t really need to trade Shiel this season.
Effectively GWS had hand.
We had hand on the Bulldogs last year, this year we were on the other side.

Media had no say in when the trade was done. It was between GWS and Essendon.
I assure you, both clubs had their interests at the forefront and could care less what or when the media wanted our trades done.

3 Likes

If this year’s trade period has taught us anything, it’s that all the media crap is just that.
None of them had any idea what was happening with Shiel.
Or Beams.
Or May.
Or Hogan.

And I hope the first person to quote a Nixon tweet next year gets banned.

10 Likes

There was absolutely zero stage management in our dealings with GWS.

1 Like

Yes, IMO the media played a part in ensuring there were deals leftover for the primetime timeslot. That is very different from believing that the media was involved in the machinations of the deal.

I don’t disagree with other parts of your post though but that’s really about the strategy of the trade. There’s no doubt that the Lobb and Scully trade informed GWS what they would accept etc. We were always going to have to pay up for Shiel, he was the best player available this trade period.

To be fair, the question needs to be asked re: ranking criteria. Clearly, his assessment doesn’t match what most people think when talking about a successful trade period. Brown does like to be different / controversial.