Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

I hate that this is from hawthorn twitter but it’s good.

7 Likes

I fail to see how the media could influence the timing of trades.

I’m sure they’d love for it to be the case so that they can claim to ‘make the news happen’ rather than just be witnesses like the rest of us.

But you’re welcome to your opinion.

1 Like

This thread should be:
Trade Discussion 2018/19 - I am Coniglio, I need TPP for my Bunghole!

6 Likes

Recommendation accepted

2 Likes

Whoops

Geez. Gone from rampant speculation to something much kinkier.

1 Like

The only stage management is the deadline.

Gws value first round picks, last year showed that they were willing to over pay for them. This year showed that they are willing to take unders on some trades to achieve them.

In any event, their stated start point was two firsts, and we effectively got it done for a first and a pick downgrade in 2019. Given he took unders to come to us, that isn’t too bad for mine.

You win Blitz for the day :ok_hand:

IMG_2856

3 Likes

I’m all for getting Kelly, rabbit and the Bont. But how are we going to fit them in our cap? Oh, I get it…

IIRC there were a few Blitzers claiming the Shiel deal was agreed with GWS days earlier. If I could be bothered going through the posts I’d call them out.

1 Like

The article in The Age today makes reference to the huge ratings and digital interaction achieved for the AFL during trade week, with interactions in the millions. If there was any doubt on whether the AFL has a vested interest in stage managing timing of trades, surely it is now obvious.

To add to the suspense of trade week it helps to have heroes and villains. Dodoro has always been cast as the villain however as the interest in trade week intensifies each year, so does the media interest in Dodoro. He has now become a central character in the spectacle and will always have the spotlight on any trades attempted.

So do I think that the Shiel trade naturally slipped to the dying minutes because of disagreement? Or do I think that the AFL had the perfect plot, with the villain Dodoro threatening to derail a simple trade and have the underdog Carlton ready to swoop? Either way the AFL got their ratings right until the end and gave the journos much more material to write about beyond trade week.

But one thing is true though, that this villain is much loved by the media interests behind the scenes. Who else can they mock and criticise with such gleeful abandon?

7 Likes

Adrian would make an excellent Bond villain.

I dub him Jaw-ckets

4 Likes

Liberatore still hasn’t got a contract for 2019.

I think the story is he has been offered one but he hasn’t agreed terms.

Welcome to Essendon Tom Liberatore.

I hear he is strongly considering a lucrative offer from Revs, word is Eve Nightclub is coming strong after him as well. Watch this space.

Not touching that one

check out this giant d*ckhead

Why?

1 Like

good point…