Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

Yep he’s out of contract this year too. He’s made a request a couple of times but has always been under contract. They could definitely get it done. Fits our age demographic perfectly too. It just depends how much Gold Coast want. In a perfect world we’d land him and Coniglio.

On the flipside we really need to hit the draft a little harder soon.

We didn’t pay over for any of the guys we got. Stringer was a bargain, reported between 400-500k because of his off field issues. Smith the same. Not bad considering he won our best and fairest. Not sure about Saad. Shiel reported as 800k. With Goddard leaving we basically had Shiel covered. I think our Salary cap has been managed well.

2 Likes

I don’t want us to offload any more first rounders or early seconds.

We absolutely ignored one of the best draft pools in 2018. Excluding Walsh, there’s a bunch of kids impacting straight away namely Clark (Geelong) and Butters (Port).

That’s still way more $$ than 4 draftees.

Until the likes of zaka, Hurley, hooker and tbc retire I doubt we have much flexibility in the cap.

Yeah i know but the point is that we’ve had big players, Jobe & Goddard go and put that toward other good players. The Salary cap has also gone up over that period.

Agree that’s it’s unsustainable to keep going after established players though. Next year we have guys like Hepp, McGrath, Daniher & Saad coming out of contract. Walla this year. All will be wanting a pay rise i’d imagine.

Way things are going might happen sooner than we expect.

Our cap has been very well managed, but the fact is HM is correct. We had to trade Colyer out to be able to bring Shiel in, and to bring in anyone of note next year would require some serious readjustment to the list. We have spent big over the last couple of years and will need to sit back in that regard for a while.

2 Likes

We may have a few request to leave depending on who gets games and who misses out.

And depending on where we finish up at the end of the year we may need to be a bit ruthless and move on one or two of the older guys who have been around for a while.

Martin would be a good fit in our midfield and forwardline but Suns will ask for the world though, draft picks won’t satisfy them easily.

Haynes is a damn good player but with Zerk, Ridley, Gleeson and Francis all capable of playing a similar role we may be better off spending our cap space elsewhere.

If they’re leaving because they’re missing out, then … they’re missing out. They’re not going to be earning enough cash or having enough trade value to be of any help in getting Martin across.

2 Likes

Was more refering that the Sun’s would rather have a player and picks, not inconceivable that some talented or up and coming players will be on the fringe at years end and whilst they may not be enough on their own they could be cobbled together to appease the Sun’s (provided Martin wants us and the cap is good)

I’m going to avoid naming any players because I don’t want another thread being derailed with premature trade speculations

Speaking of Trav…

Last week: 11 disposals @ 36% eff + 4 turnovers.

This week: 10 disposals @ 40% eff + 2 turnovers.

I know it’s only JLT but yikes. :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

I can’t imagine the Suns wanting picks, to be honest. They need mature players, and they have for years. And late picks in conjunction with a fringe EFC player in exchange for one of their more highly-rated guys? That’s the sort of deal they’d spit on, and with good reason.

1 Like

As always make what you want of it

Merely re-posting the info that was on my fb newsfeed

Lists 7 teams. That page is as credible as the red sash

9 Likes

1 Like

Geez it’s about early to be going to “rumour” pages isn’t it.

1 Like

Nice. Last time we went up agains’t those 3 clubs as an outside chance we got our man. Pencil him in!

1 Like

While i agree with the suns playing hardball, they will eventually get sick of him asking to leave. It can’t be good for whatever culture they have/are trying to build. Interesting to see what happens. Either way if he signs on for one more year he’ll be a free agent at the end of next season. He’s certainly determined to end up at Essendon. Surely it’s just a matter of time?

It’s been months since we landed a big fish…

6 Likes

And although it says that he is not interested in one particular club over another - they still list the order of clubs ‘leading the pack’ for his servicres. What utter garbage.