Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be a free agent until the end of 2021

In this instance, I like fourth place.

This is listed as his 7th year of service. I’m not sure if that’s correct. I know he was drafted under different circumstances.

Yep i’m a little unsure where he stands. When he was drafted he technically wasn’t on the list in the 1st year. Wasn’t eligible to play AFL anyway.

He debuted as soon as he was eligible to (in 2014) and theoretically should be treated the same as a 2013 draftee I would have thought .
But who knows what interpretation the AFL will come up with

1 Like

Whatever interpretation helps keep the good player at Gold Coast i’d say. Fair enough too i guess. Would love to see him in red and black though.

There is no way were getting Coniglio. We dont have the trade currency or the cap space. weve had our fun and landed the big fishes. we havent hit the high end of the draft for a couple of years and should really consider picking up some high quality kids.

6 Likes

Agree. But we won’t be hitting the high end of the draft this year either.

Weve got some second rounders. Jackets will do some good work with those. but we dont really have a choice

Unless we give away a best 22 player, i cant see us coming close to landing Coniglio.

If we don’t start winning finals with this list then we may struggle to bring in anyone

1 Like

We won’t enter any expensive player purchases for the next couple of years. We’ve built our team, we’ll now run with it. Draft for us now. Or a cheap deal maybe if one drops from the heavens.

3 Likes

He is a free agent. Unless GWS match salary offer and force a trade.
which they should do given you expect them to finish around the 8 again.

I doubt they would. Has it even been done before? I imagine they’ll finish around 8 on the ladder so they’de get a good compensation pick. Usually once a player hits free agency they get to the team they choose.

oh well if hes a free agent, and we have the cap space, worth a shot… but i think the purse is empty after landing shiel

Jack Martin is out of contract this year, and if he stays and signs a one year deal, will be a free agent the following year (the AFL clarified this with other Suns players that were on the list the year before they entered the AFL).

In addition to this, I would love Jack Martin at Essendon. While he hasn’t been able to demonstrate his prowess consistently (due to injury, playing for a woeful side and playing every position on the ground bar ruck), he’s every bit as talented as Josh Kelly. In a decent side, played as a wing / onballer that rests forward, you’d see amazing numbers and amazing football.

1 Like

When did they clarify this?
I find that very hard to believe

You may be right. I’ve just done a quick search and can’t find anything. My recollection was something like players that were pre selected and on the list prior to being afl eligible counted that year. But as I can’t find it I’m going assume I remember wrong.

He’s too skinny we need some muscle if we’re still looking at ready to go players.

I don’t think Jack Martin is the difference between us being where we are now and a legitimate flag contender.

He isn’t someone who strikes me as a player who wins you a final off his own boot and if anything would sum up Essendon of the past 19 years which is: “brilliant when the team is playing well and absolutely shiteful and nowhere to be seen when the going gets tough.”

Others might have seen more of him over the years to suggest otherwise but to me he strikes me as a cream type player and I still think at the moment that isn’t what we need. We have plenty of skill and talent but when it comes to grunt and a hard edge… Not so much.

I think, unless we are looking at a player who we believe could win us a final off his own boot or will go to war every single week and put in an absolute shift (Devon Smith) then I doubt we’ll be paying that much for them.

I could see us picking up a role player if we identify a specific need.

I don’t know if they’ve clarified it, but with O’meara and B. Crouch being in the same boat as Martin but recruited a year earlier it is conceivable that they would have had to.

Would Shannon Hurn be gettable as a free agent this year on a 2 year deal?

Premiership captain.