Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

hows it irrelevant though? its worth the discussion if they can reach a deal where both sides are benefiting. we might find offloading a player is better for us.

You said weā€™d NEED to trade a kpp

We wouldnā€™t need to. If chose to different story but based on this year already having kpp depth valuable.

Heā€™s been out because of a string of injuries. Not because heā€™s not good enough though. Different to a bloke thatā€™s been dropped because of bad form.

They brought in Beams whoā€™d have taken the spot he was playing and have had all their other inside mids fit

Not so sure heā€™d have been in if available

1 Like

Where is the Hugh Greenwood discussion coming from? Does he want out?

Would be a good Baguley replacement.

I doubt we would have to give up much for a player not getting an opportunity. If heā€™s out of contract (Iā€™m not sure about this one), I wouldnā€™t be surprised if he went for a late 2nd round/early-mid 3rd round pick.

Ironically, they may be interested in KP depth such as Stewart or Hartley (which they have both passed on previously) as they donā€™t bat particularly deep in this area

1 Like

Not entirely true. We could use our 2020 first rounder if someone of real quality was available.

The bigger issue is likely salary cap.

I hope we donā€™t though. It would be nice to get some top end talent in the way of the draft.

I record and fast forward directly to Caroā€™s Arrow! So no I didnā€™t see it.

Well, given the context was players like Clug or Tarranto, if it was someone in their 3rd/4th years I donā€™t think there is a huge difference.

2 Likes

This article is a month old, but I didnā€™t see it posted anywhere else.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-forgotten-man-brayden-sier-would-be-perfect-at-essendon-says-garry-lyon/news-story/b691a5485b7d5f8f656cb53435cc3f6f

What do we think he would be worth in a trade? A second round pick?

He is exactly what we are missing. I was really impressed with him last year.

Sier has been mentioned at some point.

Heā€™d likely be played in the back pocket if we picked him up though.

4 Likes

2020 Hawks Midfield

Mitchell, Wingard, Oā€™Meara, Sheils, Coniglio and Parish

That is going to be some midfield baby

Parish to average 30 touches and 8 clearances a game, oh baby thatā€™s tasty

Liam Shiel isnā€™t a bad comparison for Darcy tbh

And, if Geelong lose Kelly theyā€™ll go hard at Parish.

Hawks would struggle getting Coniglio and anyone else too.

Trade targets

Brayden Sier: A big-bodied midfielder that has been squeezed out of Collingwoodā€™s on-ball unit. Essendon needs more muscle around the ball and Sier has shown he can provide the grunt work.

Aiden Bonar: Another inside midfielder with power and strength. His size makes him appealing for all clubs, and then you add his athleticism. Contracted long term, but canā€™t break into the Giantsā€™ talented side.

First-round draft pick: Essendon has traded out of three successive first rounds of the draft. If it could somehow acquire a first-round pick, that would help balance the talent on the list.

On the table

Aaron Francis: Francis looked set to take the footy world by storm this year after an exciting finish to 2018, but it hasnā€™t played out that way. Very talented but is best used as a defender.

Jayden Laverde: Laverde has ability but injuries have gotten in the way. When Essendonā€™s forward line is fit, he will struggle to break into its first-choice line-up. Had a few fans last time he fell out of contract.

Cale Hooker: If the Bombers genuinely want to restock with draft picks, Hooker could attract something of value. Although 30, he is still an excellent key defender and intercept marker and would add to a premiership contenderā€™s back half.

Bring in mid-season trading and youā€™d see half of FarkCalton squad requesting to get out of the joint.

1 Like

Sier and Bonar are both solid shouts who wouldnā€™t require a particularly good pick. At the start of the season I would have said we need to focus more on the draft as we have a good list put together but Iā€™ve certainly changed my mind now. I think we require a mini-clearout to really progress forward and not stay stagnant. Not that we would get much for most of our list.

What makes the media think that a big bodied mid is what Essendon are looking for?

3 Likes

They might have heard me talking about it at work?

5 Likes

Zachary Sproule from the Giants would be an astute pick up imo. Very similar to Finlayson, and would be quite cheap.