Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

Rebuild at north might present some interesting opportunities

They’re going to be looking to get into the early rounds of the draft and they have a dearth of big bodies. I wonder if someone like cunnington might be on the market

At 28 going on 29 he’d be a touch old for us. If we made finals this year i’d say go for it though.

Not sure we are the ones to get them early picks in the draft!

1 Like

Nick Shipley another, Big midfielder who is averaging 27 touches and 7 tackles a game in the 2nds, Bonar, Hately and Green coming he’s no chance to get a gig.

Token pick worth the gamble IMO.

1 Like

Key words “says Garry Lyon”

Premiership captain?

1 Like

but he also was actually what we were looking for at some stage. we had him run a training session with us not long after 2016 suspensions were handed down. so I guess we’d identified him as a potential Jobe replacement.

Hypothetical mid season trade…

Richmond get: Cale Hooker
Essendon get: Richmond 2019 1st rounder

Would you do it?

■■■■ no.

13 Likes

unfortunately in some aspects, who do people actually see any established names replacing in the coaches side at present, other than getting another a grader, who surely we don’t have the space for ?

All things being equal, essentially bags and probably zaka’s spot should be the only 2 up for grabs next season.
Zaka’s won’t be cos he’s a good little essendon boy.
bags will probably retire this year or be moved on.

So that leaves 1 spot, for which you already have how many on the list that we still don’t know if they are able to move into that spot.
Begley
mynott
lav
langford
clarke
mozzie
etc etc

the only are we probably need to look at is tall defenders in the sense that hooker and hurley are nearing the end. but we already do have 2 guys in the wings working on the craft in francis and thatcher, but if hurley and hooker both retire those 2 come into the senior side and we have no back up.

I know that Gown plays both back and forward. But yes we probably need one more for depth.

Both contracted, but I’d be after Zurhaar* and Brander.

Or I’d trade one of the usual suspects with a second round for a first round.
And if we don’t get quality for Parish I will spew.

Edit: As to whether I’d trade Hooker, I’d wait 'til the end of the year and make a decision. Definitely wouldn’t rule it out.
You’d hope by the end of the year we’d have a better idea on Brown/Stewart/Gown/Daniher/Zerk/Hateley, too.

*#11 in the rookie draft. Talk about kissed on the ■■■■.
Absolute gun, could go midfield but shouldn’t have to. Would be even better if Wood wasn’t such a selfish prick.

Ryder anyone? lol

A few more names that are less controversial
Lewis Pierce (Saints)
Ladhams (Port)
Frampton (Port)
Hayes (Port)
Darcy Cameron (Sydney)
Sean Darcy (Freo)
Lloyd Meek (Freo)
Scott Jones (Freo)

Personally I like the 3 from Port as good backup options

Nah - but if we had lost to Carlton last week I reckon I would have considered it.

I reckon Darcy would be the one I’d look at for best 22 at afl level ruck play.

But just thinking… if STK are that fkd that they’d prefer Goldstein at 31 to Marshall (aka proto-grundy) at 23… 2nd rounder for Marshall?

Darcy, I think will be the pick of the pure rucks, but I’m confident Draper will have him covered so I’d be looking for a guy who can play as a backup Ruck to Bellch/Drapes but then offer some quality forward play as well making him a more versatile option for us. Freo wouldn’t want to give him up with Sandilands about to retire.

If we wanted a short term option who might provide an upgrade on Zac Clarke then I’d be going after Pierce, who is behind Marshall, Longer with the Saints considering both Goldstein and Ryder.

Sam Hayes is the one I’d be hunting as future option, Eastern Rangers boy from the 2017 crop so he would have played a lot of footy with Mynott as well as Clarke and Begley. Was considered the top ruckman and a likely top 15 pick before plummeting into the 40s, 203cm, quality tap ruckman who kicks goals when forward. The only drawback would be he’d take 12-18months before being an AFL option and is currently suffering a bout of Glandular fever. Port also have a lot of 200cm ruck/forward options on their list atm.

Riley Bowman would be another good pick for the future imo, good mover, good skills and can could be developed in each third of the ground. Hasn’t looked out of place in the VFL which is a good sign for a 19yo ruck.

3 Likes

What’s the knock on Billy Longer? Was a pick 5 for Brisbane and had a period for the saints where he was getting big hitout stats in his 4th and 5th year in the AFL. Has just turned 26 so coming into the prime of his career.

Longer gets some good tap numbers but does nothing around the ground.

He’s a beauty. Would love him in the Red and Black.

Sier & Marshall or Frampton would be a very handy trade period in my opinion. Inside midfielder and ruckman who can play forward. All of them are out of contract too.