Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

GWS will offload Patton and try and Keep Coniglio.

2 Likes

Would anyone take him with his knee history though?

Hawks will

Roughead cooked. Forwardline battling.
And they back in their injury management.

4 Likes

I dinā€™t even realise Patton was still playing.

Article suggesting Carlton will target small forwards and mentions AMT as a potential target. What say you? Personally, I would consider it if it got us back into a decent position in the draft. Heā€™s still very inconsistent for me, but that said a lot are in that role. It will never happen though.

I dont want to live in a world where Tippa is wearing navy blueā€¦

16 Likes

LOL no

3 Likes

Frampton any use as a ruckman? I seem to remember he did ok against us last year and heā€™s out of contract I believe. Could be handy until Draperā€™s fit.

Instaban

7 Likes

21 Likes

As a club I donā€™t think we should expect to consistently bring in quality talent such as Saad, Smith etc without losing some talent along the way too. What is needed is a learned recruiting contingent that can identify who we could afford to lose? And at what rate of compensation we would find acceptable? I think this is a critical step for the club moving forward, if it wishes to return to a consistent top four contender.

If you take Geelong as the exemplar for moving on, and trading in, players over the last 10 years they do have a bit of a pattern.
Retire / delist ageing stars relatively quickly when they start to drop off over a season. Bartel, Ling, Kelly etc etc
Though they do tend to hang onto key position versions a bit longer for depth- Lonergan, Henderson spring to mind - even if theyā€™re playing Twos
Keeps salary cap space.

They seem big on trading out relatively young flankers / wingers with between 20 and 60 or so games experience- a whole raft of these.
I think the rationale is that these blokes have some trade value - not necessarily a lot - but havenā€™t proven to be duds. Other clubs see them as potentially becoming better / becoming bargain onballers- the lure of the bright new shiny thing with 2 to 5 years in the ā€œsystemā€.

Geelong is very good at leveraging these trades - bundling them to trade in who they want, or getting a slightly better draft pick , which they then on trade.

I think Geelong also believes, and rightly, that young flankers / wingers are the easiest to replace - itā€™s better to keep a churn going until you light on a gem or two.

So if you apply the same philosophy to Essendon itā€™s not the Parish, Walla, or Zaharakis types in the trade gun.
Itā€™s the Begley Ridley types whoā€™ve yet to establish but donā€™t play key roles.

3 Likes

Word is Ryder would be prepared to leave Port, would we make a play for him?

Been discussed in the Ryder thread. I sensed acute negativity towards the idea.

14 Likes

I wouldnā€™t have thought so.

Even if he was at his peak - he really screwed the club over when he left.

And thatā€™s probably the nicest thing I will say about that.

1 Like

Patton anyone? KP forward depth looking a bit bare with a bit of uncertainty surrounding Daniher. Iā€™d be all for it if itā€™s a Scully type arrangement to free some cash for the giants.

Can play.

2 Likes

Not with his injury history.

index

2 Likes

and seriously, who the ā– ā– ā– ā–  in their right mind would even contemplate allowing ryder to lick the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  of the filthestiest supporter we have, let alone coming back anywhere near the club.

apart from the departing crap, he is and always will be an inconsistent, never reach his full potential ruckman who is now banged up and what 32 odd.
We donā€™t need more essington players, we are trying to breed it out of the crop we already have.

3 Likes

4 Likes