Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

I’d rather spend any spare TPP on re-signing our unsigned players.

Not sure there’s any massive gap we have to fill.

But someone might pop up out of the unknown. I nearly said ‘blue’ but I knew that’d be taken the wrong way.

3 Likes

These next few offseasons will be more about drafting for the retirements of our older guys; Bellchambers, Hooker, Hurley, Myers and Zaharakis will all need replacing within the next few years.

We also need to keep adding to our to our forwardline - smalls and talls.

3 Likes

Yep. KP the priority for sure.

2nd priority - small forward depth
Then in no particular order:

• another developing ruck
  • a lock down small that’s better than McNeice
  • plus obviously always look for any rare quality midfielders who might fall e.g. Zerrett/Parker/Fyfe/etc
1 Like

Small defender is a good call, McNeice will likely be replaced with an Irish lad. But we do need some backup for McKenna and Saad’s linebreaking ability.

Unless McNiece can’t stay on the Cat B list, I see no reason to delist him. An extra player for no cost.

You can have up to 3 Cat B rookies.

He’s been on the list for 3 years hasn’t he?

TBC - Draper
Hurley - Francis
Myers - Dylan C
Zaharakis - take your pick of midfielders
Hooker - irreplaceable

Dodoro knows what he is doing.

2 Likes

Looking good Today!

They’ll still need to be replaced even though we have their successors lined up.

We have a good balance to the list and when these guys depart we’ll need to maintain that by replacing them type-for-type, but you’re right they’ll be the backups for the current backups.

He’s spent three years on the list, but he spent 2018 on the Cat A list. I have no idea if he can stay on the Cat B list another year or not.

maybe some good news on the Irish front. How awesome would it be having 2 Irish speedsters burning up the flanks

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-independent/20190717/282716228576431

14 Likes

Good find!!

Hopefully the Irish sports journos are more accurate than their Australian counterparts.

3 Likes

Yeah with all the shenanigans regarding McNeice and the lack of clarity with AFL rules it is hard to tell what is going on with Ben.

I’d hazard the guess that last year he was technically a temporarily upgraded from the CatB onto the CatA list - so this year would be his 3rd and likely last.

He is rated for his leadership so I think he’d be given a VFL contract, hopefully, Myers is also given the Hocking treatment too.

Full cat B list at all times, please and thank you.

There should always be an Irishmen, a Tiwi kid and a son of a Blitzer on the CatB list. Always.

5 Likes

From his announcement presser:

Ross McQuillan was the top Irish prospect. Huge win if we’ve got him.

15 in this video of the combine.

son of a Blitzer!! :joy:

4 Likes

I decided to revisit the AFL restriction on trading future 1st round picks…now, it’s a slightly murky area because the AFL did such a poor job of writing the rule…but I THINK the following is true:

• We can still trade our future (2020) first rounder in the upcoming trade period.
  • Fast-forward to the next trade period 12 months later, and we will probably NOT be allowed to trade that first rounder because Parish/Francis will have dropped off the list of first-rounders in the past 4 years (leaving just McGrath).

So…if this coming trade period was your only opportunity to trade that 2020 first rounder…who would you target with it?

2 Likes

Now THIS is a mass exodus i can get behind!