Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

Sure on the first part, but I don’t think “we played like total ■■■■ for two months” is a particularly great defense of our quality.

Clarko has been after him for years

1 Like

From fox sports this morning

1. Lachie Neale and Lincoln McCarthy — The gun and the sweetener

They are old mates from South Australia who share the same manager, and they could be teammates at the Gabba by the end of the year. While one could move without the other, it appears that both could be lured to Brisbane in one of the more intriguing elements of this October. Until only a couple of weeks ago, no one thought Neale was going anywhere. But after reports the Dockers ball magnet recently spent a weekend with Chris Fagan in Brisbane, and that his partner has put her Perth based business on the market, it looks like this move will happen. As for injury plagued McCarthy — the sweetener in the Neale move — a fresh start might just be what he needs to resuscitate a career that has only produced five senior games in the past two years and 29 across six years.

I suspect it will be something like

Neale & McCarthy to Bris
Kelly to Freo
Pick 4 to Cats

Other exchanges of picks to make it work.

And we’ll end up with neither.

It wasn’t the individuals so much as the game style. They weren’t playing a style of footy that’s set up to score heavily. We saw last year how potent our forward line can be when we give it a chance.

And Shiel. Word is they were having a huge crack at Shiel back in 2015 and were close.

They won’t get both though.

We did. And we just delisted someone who played 17 games in that forward line and replaced him with a 31 year old back pocket.

Edit: my personal opinion is that our priorities should be midfielders who can win the ball and kick, followed at some distance by small forwards. Then just whatever quality we can find.

2 Likes

Good lord. I can’t keep up.
Just go and get Dylan Shiel and move on.

…and maybe Setterfield.

2 Likes

I’m glad you brought that up… Green played 17 games as a forward last year for 17 goals… Baguley played what, 14 games as a forward this year for 20 goals and stack more via his pressure.
After round 8 we played better team footy. We pressured the ball in our forward half and created opportunities for each other. We do that for 22 weeks next year and we’ll have multiple blokes kicking plenty, and we’ll stop other teams scoring so easily against us like they did last year.

6 Likes

To my great surprise, it turns out that even at 31 Baggers is damn fast and capable of repeat sprints, but as an ex defender he knows how to lock players and the ball down, Moving small defenders forward will probably become a blue print for other teams in future.

1 Like

Big difference between coaches philosophies on inside mids. Worsfold wants to rotate many players through the coal face. Horse plays the best ones in there for the maximum time possible, result ? Sydney inside mids over 25 are clapped out. Horse will move Hannebury out, move Heeney in and by the time Heeney is 26 he will be held together with tape , just like Hannebery. GWS have so many good inside mids no one of them are beat up.
Hannebury No. Shiel. Yes.

4 Likes

One of these coaches gets modern footy. One does not.

I’ve completely lost track of this discussion. Yes, if we play good high pressure forward half football next year that will be good. Yes, Baguley was surprisingly good. I still think a player of Wingard’s type is somewhere near, but definitely not at, the top of our needs list.

Look! Another random twitter account with their trade news!!

1 Like

Lost track?

You suggested we need more goal kicking options based on our highest goal kicker this year only kicking 30 goals. I offer reasons for that and debunked the notion that’s somehow indicative of a need for more goal kicking options. Not sure why you mentioned Green/Baguley, but based on actual output and willingness to apply himself to the role it’s literally a no brainer that Bags would hold his spot on the list over Green.

I kind of agree on Wingard although @Laverde2Langford has highlighted that contest and clearance work is perhaps a bigger strength of Wingard’s than I had initially thought.

At any rate, I don’t think he’s leaving and it’s just rumours and scuttlebutt.

Priorities

Shiel
Gaff
Setterfield

Wingard - geez wouldnt wanna give port pick 8 after they raped us in the Ryder deal. 17 & 37
Pick 8 and next years second rounder for Wingard and their 2019 first rounder. They get SA Boy we move up draft next year with 2 first round picks.

1 Like

So Wingard for a second rounder. Um I don’t think that will fly somehow.

4 Likes

The delusion is strong.

Anyone who thinks we’re somehow getting “trade payback” on any deal is a full blown idiot.

3 Likes

I just wanna screw Port.

But gives port a low pick in the mega draft and access to a SA player. Depends how desperate they want the pick.

hawks would probably trump offer with ceglar and a third rounder tho.

1 Like

why would we need to screw Port? They screw themselves and Paddy has done nothing for them and they’ve achieved nothing with him. I don’t think they ever will either.