Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

I think Scully is one of the most underrated players in the comp. I’d love him assuming his injury is ok.

9 Likes

Running machine,probably moreso than Gaff

3 Likes

Kicks a few goals to but is 28 next year. Does he fit the profile?

1 Like

Mmmm, good point 28 is getting on. Depends what is on offer. Preference is for younger but that will come at a cost if at all. Super fit, clean living, incredible dedication. Could be a wonderful addition for a few years and especially if he can kick straighter. Hard running gets him to great spots. I love him as a footballer.

I’m liking the pursuit of contested HFF.

After watching Rich and Melb that’s where the game is heading. You don’t just want defensive fwds, they need to be able to win a contest from a hurried kick forward. Think Caddy, Martin and dare I say it Melksham.

2 Likes

there are 3 players i’d go all in from gws for.

scully, whitfield and kelly.

scully and whitfield would be the elite wingers we’re screaming for. kelly is just pure class and would make any team substantially better the moment he walks in the door.

3 Likes

Absolutely agree. Whitfield is a star and underrated even though AA and Kelly goes without saying. All are natural and really hard working. Some absolute class would be great for us.

1 Like

If so then we are better front loading a few contracts rather than chasing talent this year and having a massive crack at Kelly next year.

Tom Petroro on SEN saying there’s still another 2-3 big names that haven’t even been mentioned yet that will get traded. Suggested ~30 players will get done this year.

3 Likes

And all to Essendon

31 Likes

Hopefully they aren’t any of our players then!!!

Ben Ainsworth welcome to Essendon.

3 Likes

Maybe his dad could work in the Bombershop?

I’d take Brodie if the rumblings about him wanting out are correct

14 Likes

His uncle Paul is the Carlton Recruiting Manager. Goes there if anywhere in Vic. GC will hold onto him for grim life though. Fits the game plan.

I think that is where the game is at now. The trick is to get ahead of the curve and be at the spear tip of the next tactical shift. One of our problems over the last decade had been we’ve always been in copy cat/ catchup mode. Hird’s side was very much modelled on geelong’s size and power at the contest but by the time we got our side there (Saga complications notwithstanding) Hawthorn had already taken the game beyond that style.

The dogs, tigers and dees have now swung it back away from finesse to frantic front half pressure and contest football (though I think the dogs did it prettier).

We have to work out where the strengths are on our list and build a game plan to suit. Hopefully that puts us in front of the game.

We constantly hear how you have to be a front half side. Maybe, but if our biggest weapon is speed and intercept making power and we can kill sides on transition why shouldn’t we be a back half team.

A side is going to come along that can absorb the pressure and beat these sides with ball use. It is all a cycle.

I wouldn’t be wound up in trying to do what everyone else is doing. We should be focused on beating what they’re doing.

I’d spend the summer trying to move the ball against outnumber situations to try and get us better at standing up to the front half pressure the comp leaders are employing.

11 Likes

Tommy Walsh!

Play ■■■■■ football and ruin talented youngsters?

Just speculated (quite convincingly) on the wireless over here:

Gaff from West Coast to N Melbourne
Daw + pick to West Coast in exchange for Gaff
Lycett from West Coast to Port
2x picks from West Coast to Geelong for T Kelly
Kelly to West Coast