Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

Who are our targets and which ones are we landing
Got to give us more Scorch :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just googled Jack Martin to see if there was anyone else reporting anything similar. Nothing lately however Triple M (Jay-Z or Clarke whatever his name is) flagged Martin as a potential exit from the Suns at the start of August. Mentioned Essendon as the club keen for his services.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/jay-clark-says-gold-coast-suns-could-lose-up-to-five-star-players-this-off-season/amp

In theory I like the idea of getting Jack Martin to Essendon but my main knock on him is that he looks pretty slight. From memory I seem to recall that he was regularly getting buffeted off the ball. Now he could grow bigger and stronger but I wonder if he actually will, because if he can/does then most would say that he can a bit of a player.

1 Like

That’s my assessment of him. Talented, no very talented… but slightly framed and knocked off the ball easily, I’ve seen him dominate patches of games but yet to see it regularly. He could easily drift in his career or become a gun. If he stays at the GC I think he’ll drift into mediocrity.

2 Likes

Is it possible that we have 3-4 targets but because no word is getting out the scribes are just guessing? Perhaps if they were held to account then we won’t have so many stupid tweets

No where near as aggressive as Tiger Snakes.

2 Likes

Sorry he gave me nothing.
Said yeah we should get a good one with our 1st pick’.

Thats as flat batted an answer
as you could get.

But I will say how funny it was having him just standing with the Leongatha supporters…we seemed like the only ones that asked for an autograph.

Really nice guy,signed my sons footy card and jumper.

When Leongatha just won,he was on the oval and my 5 yr old daughter went up and started asking typical 5 yr old questions “why aren’t u playing?” “do u love the bombers?” Etc…

He knelt down,acknowledged her,and took the time to really make sure she knew he was on holidays,and yes he really loves the bombers lol.

I observed this behind him so he was under no obligation to to this.
What class hey? What fantastic character,where he could have so easily just kept walking with his mates,whos town just won a flag.

Made my day.

58 Likes

We have enough lightly framed players - I want some big bodied hard nosed mids that can drift forward & kick goals. I’m sick of seeing them pop up out of nowhere at Collingwood, Geelong, Richmond etc

2 Likes

More like Emerson Lake and Powell- the not so great version…

It’s a fair call from a free lance journo, very emphatic. Get this wrong and his credibility will take a big dent.

So the Suns are likely to lose their two best players to potentially the two best teams in the AFL. Who said there was something wrong with the AFL?

4 Likes

From the 3rd of August.

“Jack Martin, I think Essendon have got a very strong interest in him”

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/jay-clark-says-gold-coast-suns-could-lose-up-to-five-star-players-this-off-season/amp

3 Likes

2nd round pick would do it or walk away. If its correct. Could be a gun in the right team. Gold Coast have destroyed many talented younguns

3 Likes

Baker, Bruce and Clapton?

1 Like
1 Like

Jack Martin? Umm, yes, please. Would slot in beautifully on the wing.

Sure, this is a random internet guy. But at least it’s a definitive statement from someone who has put their actual name behind it. I looked back on this guy’s tweets. While he seems very Essendon focused (and likely a fan), he doesn’t have a track record of making outlandish predictions.

Trying not to get invested, but hard not to.

4 Likes

That video is diabolically bad to watch. GC talking up a once in a generation talent when the club was still optimistic about its future.

Man they farked it up.

Prefer Setterfield. More what we need (potentially) than Martin. But both are tough to weigh up on how likely they are to deliver on their talent.

1 Like

I would do pick 8 for Martin and pick 20ish.

Then trade pick 20 to GWS for Setterfield.

Two young guns for a top 10 pick would be great trading

5 Likes

There was talk a few days ago that Dea is weighing up an offer from the Gold Coast…

This might be a result of potential swap plus pick.

2 Likes