Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

If North are getting Polec, Gaff and Hall, how are they affording all three with picks (not salary cap)?

Gaff FA, Polec with this years first. Hall with next years first. Preuss might be in the mix somewhere aswell

ANNOUNCE SHIEL

Surely WC don’t let Gaff walk for free though?

2 Likes

So latest media guesses are we are chasing Shiel, Setterfield and Martin?

1 Like

Setterfield is (you can only really go by his underage games, as there isn’t a large enough body of work at AFL level to go by) an absolute clearance and tackling machine, and he tackles with serious intent to make you stay down. He has very good hands in close, and can drift forward with good effect. He also has very good vision and consistently hits forward targets. Also good overhead. And at a guess, I reckon he’d probably stand 192+ now. The only knock on the kid is his injuries. And that’s where you just have to gamble. But there is serious talent there, and it’s wrapped in a big, powerful frame.

I reckon I’d open the dancing with GWS with an offer of our first rounder this year, next year’s second, and a player/players (think Hartley, Colyer etc) for Sheil and Setterfield, and go from there.

I’d also consider a similar offer, except with next years third rounder, to GC for Martin and Brodie.

If we take our first rounder to the draft I want Hately or Rozee.

11 Likes

Isn’t there talk of offering him 1.2-1.3?
If that’s the case then I doubt WC could match.

Great write up. Thanks. Injury wise you have examples like Freeman but on the other hand like Selwood to a degree. I bet clubs prior to pick 7 wish now they had have punted on injury prone Joel. Sounds like the upside is so good it might be worth a punt. I hope for his sake he gets a fair crack at it.

Seems to be more people talking about the possibility of Gaff to Sydney. That would be a big get for them if true.

Would fit in with what some posters have been saying on here regarding North not getting him.

Ok I’ll try again.

Of the 10,000 posts in here, I reckon at least half are concerning Shiel. I don’t know what else we could discuss about that possibility.

1 Like

This view frustrates me.
Sure, we can develop plenty of our own players, some of whom will never play 50 games of AFL football.
We can also trade in players who have already played 50 senior games and are pretty good at it.
Not great.
Not superstars, but are better than certain players on our list and we can get them for the same salary and little cost at the draft.

If we can improve our list in any way, I’m in favour of it.

6 Likes

Maybe what the kitchen sink plus oven and microwave looks like?

The Fridge? Begley. But not sure who the oven or microwave are though :thinking:

1 Like

Good summary of Setterfield. Having seen plenty of him at juniors and NEAFL Level Id also add that he’s got the most exquisite hands (Jobe at his best) - Absorbs the tackle frees the arms and a 360 swivel whilst looking for the outlet is go to play. Super talent. If you could get him to full fitness could be the best inside mid in the league. My view was that he had more alround ability than Cripps in that role

6 Likes

You can ■■■■ off a lot of people with this view. What if we said to a contracted guy like Parish/McGrath/Ridley for example that Shiel’s available and we need you to be part of the trade? Then Shiel goes to Carlton anyway. I’d imagine those guys would be pretty ■■■■■■ off that the club tried to turf them, and would come into their minds next time we want them to sign a new contract!

Look after our own before we just go flipping guys American sports-like.

2 Likes

The OP was talking about B Grade players.
I’m really not sure what you’re talking about.

1 Like

Same theory applies, not everyone on the list can be A-grade talent champ

Gold Coast have a truckload of picks this year, reckon they might want to move a couple to next year if possible.

I really don’t think you understood my post.

1 Like