Trade Discussion 2018 thread #2: Shiel or no Shiel? SHIEL

Off topic, could we get Bailey Smith at Pick 9?

I’m guessing the same as us combined … maybe 1-2 less

I’m speaking the up and comers / Melbourne who kind you were a game away from the GF, and collingwood the team that’s usually there about who have made plenty of turn arounds from crappy positions. Is that not success ? I mean this success people say we have , tell me what we have been successful with?

Probably not, his values gone up. will probably get snatched up pretty early like Brayshaw last year. before we traded our pick 11, Brayshaw was considered gettable for us. went at pick 2.

‘Shiel and Martin in the same deal’.

1 Like

Yep. He was only injured for 38 out of the 48

??? Setterfield had an ACL at the start of this year causing him to miss 23 of the 46 he has missed.

Dees 0 + Collingwood 2 = 2 flags combined in 50 years. Bombers have won 4.

So, let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves and say that if he wants success, then he should join one of those two clubs.

Don’t forget that the Dees have been seriously woeful since their GF loss in 2000. They have rebuilt and made the finals for the first time this year after how many years? And Collingwood finished 13th last year and also had a very good 2018. But, this year’s form is no guarantee for success in 2019. What’s to say that we won’t jump up the ladder next year and be successful? Sorry, but Shiel joining Essendon for potential success makes just as much sense as him joining any other AFL club. Have faith in the side you support.

Been consistently injured for the past 4 years

1 Like

I’ve got faith , but to throw around the success card is the same as accepting mediocrity… show me success and sure … slap with silly with the term. I was 5 when we won back to back in the 80’s , 13 in 93 and 20 in 2000. I’m 38 now. Nearly half my life without “success” from our club. Pretty much why this irks me the wrong way.

1 Like

We are all craving success. This is why most of us are invested in a successful trade/draft period. Surely, it is preferable (and logical) for us to build on our exciting list than to suggest that Shiel go and play for the Dees or Pies if he wants success. I’m not following how you think this will help us.

1 Like

The industry usually gets a good feel with how things play out.
Lots of people are saying it will be a quiet period for Essendon.
Not for lack of trying it would seem.
Anyway, Shiel will not choose Essendon.
Whether they have other targets is questionable.
It’s very likely no big fish are coming to Essendon this year.

I agree with most of your post, but I really think we need to pay him with money.
I’m not sure if wedges will do it !

I’m reading the same stories around Setterfield by bomber supporters…

I want Shiel and I really want Martin and May and will be a bit cut if we don’t any of em.

That fat loser Norf bloke sounds like a lot of Blitzers who are already using all those excuses why we didn’t want Setterfield.

And all those who will be using all those excuses why we didn’t want Shiel.

6 Likes

Why would you want May? I can’t see why we’d even consider that

2 Likes

That is wrong. They have not only made finals since then, but have actually won a final more recently than we have.

Best available.

At last some common sense in this thread. 100% spot on.

It’s the same logic which makes good ones so hard to get out of other clubs for anything bar a large slab of your salary cap.

Next best is to find the guy with the potential to move into the midfield.

You have misread the question.

I asked when the Dees last made a finals appearance (prior to 2018), not when they last won a final.

The answer to the question is 2006.

Granted, we have also been very poor over the past 18 years. Still, the Bombers have made 9 finals appearances vs the Dees 5 finals appearances. We have won 5 finals to the Dees 4 (including the 2 wins this year).

So, I stand by my point. To suggest that Shiel should go to a more successful club like the Dees (instead of the Bombers) is ludicrous. As poor as we have been, the Dees have been worse.